Newsday: Sorokin has a lot of promise.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Sorokin showed this week he is the real deal. By all accounts the isles are impressed with his game, work habits, and additude. Isles view him as a blue chip goalie prospect. http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...733?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

“I talked a little with Bobrovsky about the NHL. He said here, everything is on the highest level. Everything is done for the players to play, you don’t have to think about anything else. So we will see."

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I really don't have any concerns with him coming over after his current contract expires.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Lol, those authors... Sorokin played in WHC in Moscow, he was a backup behind Bob, and Varly even wasn't on the team.

Yeah.... kind of hard to play in that tourney when your team is in the middle of the Conference Finals lol. I think Sorokin even got into a couple games and got a shutout.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Sorokin showed this week he is the real deal. By all accounts the isles are impressed with his game, work habits, and additude. Isles view him as a blue chip goalie prospect. http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...733?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

“I talked a little with Bobrovsky about the NHL. He said here, everything is on the highest level. Everything is done for the players to play, you don’t have to think about anything else. So we will see."

He sounds intrigued by the idea of coming over to NA to play.
Glad to read that.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
So what's the story on Ilya? Apparently he's turning into a mega prospect with tremendous potential.

If we landed a potential franchise goaltender in Sorokin then you can't say our window has opened until he gets his chance.

Super excited about this kid!!!!!

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
To me the biggest question of all is, "Who is his agent?"

"Who own da Chiefs?!"

Owwnnnssss. Owwwnnnnssss.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

but OT - very excited for this kid. Hopefully he somehow talks to Nabby about his experience here and the NHL in general.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
So what's the story on Ilya? Apparently he's turning into a mega prospect with tremendous potential.

If we landed a potential franchise goaltender in Sorokin then you can't say our window has opened until he gets his chance.

Super excited about this kid!!!!!

That's kind of how I look at it. Maybe not necessarily the "window" since I still think this team can compete for a Cup prior to Sorokin, but I don't see us reaching that powerhouse level until we get an elite goaltender. By all accounts that could be Sorokin.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Most of these guys have a north American agent and a euro agent

There is one guy who was involved in helping the KHL steal our guys a few years ago. Mark Gandler. He is one of the most unreasonable agents in the world and his ties to the KHL should disqualify him as an agent for players in the NHL. He excels at destroying the trust between a player and his club.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
That's kind of how I look at it. Maybe not necessarily the "window" since I still think this team can compete for a Cup prior to Sorokin, but I don't see us reaching that powerhouse level until we get an elite goaltender. By all accounts that could be Sorokin.

The Isles right now pretty strongly resemble the 90s Devils blue print. Amazing potential on D not so great up front. The missing piece is an elite goalie. They get that they can be really good, even with what may be a lousy offense.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
The Isles right now pretty strongly resemble the 90s Devils blue print. Amazing potential on D not so great up front. The missing piece is an elite goalie. They get that they can be really good, even with what may be a lousy offense.

Not sure where you get that from. I think the Isles have way more potential up front than on D.

On D they have, in my opinion:
2 Young top pair dmen who have likely maxed out their potential (Hamonic, Leddy)
1 Young 2nd pair dman who likely has maxed out his potential (De Haan)
1 Old 2nd pair dman who has shown signs of regression (Boychuk)
1 Young bottom pair dman with top pair potential (Pulock)
1 Average aged bottom pair dman who has maxed out his potential (Hickey)
2 Bottom pair dmen who could reach 2nd pair but likely max out on bottom pair (Pelech, Mayfield)
+ a pile of meh prospects who likely will never be top4 players (Wotherspoon, MVS, Toews, Somerby, Quenneville, etc.)

Not sure how that qualifies as "amazing potential." I think the forward group has way more potential for greatness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad