News: Sorokin denies trying to force a trade

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
In the link below, Sorokin denies a Friedman rumor that Sorokin is trying to force a trade,giving him to a clearer path to a starter's job.

This rumor surprised me because Sorokin previously expressed excitement over Lou hiring goalie coach Korn. Greiss & Varly split starts evenly,both putting up strong numbers. If one goalie clearly outplayed the other, he would be the clear cut #1, instead of evenly splitting starts.

Lou was recently asked about the rumor and according to the.N.Y. media, nothing has changed for the NYI front office. They expect to sign Sorokin this summer and let Greiss walk.

Islanders goalie prospect Ilya Sorokin addresses trade rumor

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Welcome to the NHL and it writers still thinking Milbury runs the team and everyone will get offed for nothing. This kid will be the future if he can transition to the NHL game.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Welcome to the NHL and it writers still thinking Milbury runs the team and everyone will get offed for nothing. This kid will be the future if he can transition to the NHL game.

isles have solid talent, but it would be such a huge boost if Sorokin/Dobson live up to their draft day hype.

Reactions: IODCPiper

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
You mean like how they chose Lehner, who is better, cheaper and younger than Varlamov?
Isles tried signing RL to 1 and 2 season extensions. He wanted a 4/5 yr extension and signed in Chicago when he did not get that offer from Lou

I always thought the plan was get RL on a short term extension,keeping the seat warm for Sorokin in another 1/2 seasons.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Isles tried signing RL to 1 and 2 season extensions. He wanted a 4/5 yr extension and signed in Chicago when he did not get that offer from Lou

I always thought the plan was get RL on a short term extension,keeping the seat warm for Sorokin in another 1/2 seasons.

I don’t think that was ever reported anywhere. We don’t know what the full story is with lehner and Lou. So it’s pointless to assume.

And also do you have a link where Sorokin said he was excited about Korn? There has been very limited commentary out of Sorokin and I don’t ever remember seeing that.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't want to pan Elliotte for reporting on his sources but he should have known that the Isles split games for their Goalies. It happened last year with Lehner and Greiss, and it is happening this year with Varly and Greiss. There is no better opportunity for a young goalie to start, under Lou and Trotz, on the #1GA team in the NHL splitting duties with Varly whom he is friends with, and under Korn/Greco. Seriously, fake news here.

They think he’s trying to force a trade from New York to someplace with a clearer path to start. There would be interest — he’s very talented. We’ll see where this goes.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
You mean like how they chose Lehner, who is better, cheaper and younger than Varlamov?

The Isles tried to trade for Varlamov in the offseason before eventually signing Lehner. Varlamov also being a friend of Sorokin's also played into the decision (though LL would probably never admit it).

And i was definitely upset that the Isles didn't go with Lehner, I'm just glad he's still playing great and is sober. I've said it before and will post it again, Robin Lehner's season with the Islanders last year was the best story of our franchise in a year where we got a new gm, hired a Cup-winning coach, swept the Pens in four games, had two top ten draft picks and the Belmont arena plans were approved and construction began.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
This wouldn't be the 1st time the Sportsnet guys pulled something out of their ass regarding a non-Canadian team.

TSN guys like Dreger, Lebrun and McKenzie are almost always better with this stuff.

Reactions: BM14

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
That's not at all how I remember it.
I remember lehner saying Lou offered him 2@5 million and lehner asking for a few days too think it over, Lou saying OK and then signing varlomov the next day. NOT even giving him 24 hours too decide.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Elliotte Friedman said:
14. A couple of my Russian contacts reached out after last week’s note about Islanders goaltending prospect Ilya Sorokin — who is considering an extension in the KHL. They think he’s trying to force a trade from New York to someplace with a clearer path to start. There would be interest — he’s very talented. We’ll see where this goes.
Wonder if these are the same guys that start threads here demanding NYR trade Shestyorkin because they're holding him down in Hartford. Anyways, Sportsnet (who doesn't mind scraping the bottom of the barrel by employing Steve Dangle) pays the guy to come up with 31 talking points a week, there's going to be a lot of stuff out there that is purely his own speculation.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
In the link below, Sorokin denies a Friedman rumor that Sorokin is trying to force a trade,giving him to a clearer path to a starter's job.

This rumor surprised me because Sorokin previously expressed excitement over Lou hiring goalie coach Korn. Greiss & Varly split starts evenly,both putting up strong numbers. If one goalie clearly outplayed the other, he would be the clear cut #1, instead of evenly splitting starts.

Lou was recently asked about the rumor and according to the.N.Y. media, nothing has changed for the NYI front office. They expect to sign Sorokin this summer and let Greiss walk.

Islanders goalie prospect Ilya Sorokin addresses trade rumor
But, what about the other half of what Friedman said? That an extension in KHL could take him to NHL UFA status?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
isles have solid talent, but it would be such a huge boost if Sorokin/Dobson live up to their draft day hype.
With Dobson, watch them waist this year with him getting limited minutes as a #7 then start next year in Bridgeport to get major playing time and dominate down there. I fully trust Trotz and his decisions as an experienced coach. As for Sorokin, hes unproven in NA but as dominant as they come in the KHL. I’d like to see him start in the AHL so he gets used to the angles but that would just create a 3 man log jam next season if Greiss is resigned.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
That's not at all how I remember it.
I remember lehner saying Lou offered him 2@5 million and lehner asking for a few days too think it over, Lou saying OK and then signing varlomov the next day. NOT even giving him 24 hours too decide.
Wasn’t Lehner agent completely ghosting Lehner as part of the negotiations then basically shot himself in the foot when Lou moved on.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
As for Sorokin, hes unproven in NA but as dominant as they come in the KHL. I’d like to see him start in the AHL so he gets used to the angles but that would just create a 3 man log jam next season if Greiss is resigned.

Sorokin is not going to come here and play in the AHL when he could get millions in Russia

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Sorokin is not going to come here and play in the AHL when he could get millions in Russia
I never said he would but that would be a dream situation for this team. Greiss/Varlamov with Sorokin as the AHL starter.

The Real JT

The slate is clean. LGI
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I never said he would but that would be a dream situation for this team. Greiss/Varlamov with Sorokin as the AHL starter.

Not only is Sorokin not coming over to play in the AHL, Greiss is not signing a one or two year contract. This is the last payday for Greiss and some team will ante up for a multiyear deal at a healthy salary.

The Isles are also not tieing up cap space with 2 high priced goalies and then enticing a top tier overaged hot goalie prospect to cross the pond, play for less $ than the KHL and ride a bus from Bridgeport to Hershey and Providence.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
This should hopefully put this to bed. Us isles fan are cautiously optimistic about this kid. If the clown show was still in charge, this would probably be true.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
Not only is Sorokin not coming over to play in the AHL, Greiss is not signing a one or two year contract. This is the last payday for Greiss and some team will ante up for a multiyear deal at a healthy salary.

The Isles are also not tieing up cap space with 2 high priced goalies and then enticing a top tier overaged hot goalie prospect to cross the pond, play for less $ than the KHL and ride a bus from Bridgeport to Hershey and Providence.

I expect Griess to look at Carolina next season. He already lives there off season and does alot of charity work with Fort Bragg.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I don’t think that was ever reported anywhere. We don’t know what the full story is with lehner and Lou. So it’s pointless to assume.

And also do you have a link where Sorokin said he was excited about Korn? There has been very limited commentary out of Sorokin and I don’t ever remember seeing that.

RL made public comments about how supportive the isles organization was ,about wanting an extension. You seriously think he wanted a short term extension instead of the security of a long-term deal? That makes no sense for a player who was dealing with off ice issues and found strong support in the nyi organization.

As for Sorokin's comments, he made them right after Korn was hired. If I can google and find the link,I will post it.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Russian media has tweeted Sorokin wants to play in the nhl in 2020, not several yrs down the road.
He has rejected his KHL team's 3 yr extension offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->