NESN Sophia Jurksztowicz Joins NESN As New Bruins Rinkside Reporter

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
Has she played hockey at a competitive level? No, then find someone else. Bottom line: if you want insight, you need someone who knows.

There are a billion “hockey fans” from a “hockey city” that would love to be on TV. There is also a ton of former NHL stars that would be available for this role.

Insist on bringing women in to cover a man’s league....fine. How about one of the many former Olympians or college players? At least then you can convince fans they’re more than a pretty face.

Reactions: bbfan419

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This is very good - I actually was aware of her from her work and was impressed. If this was HF I was first on 20 years ago I would have added she is pretty hot but because of political correctness I wish she has a wonderful holiday season

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
This is very good - I actually was aware of her from her work and was impressed. If this was HF I was first on 20 years ago I would have added she is pretty hot but because of political correctness I wish she has a wonderful holiday season
:laugh: :laugh: I almost died. :laugh:

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
How about one of the many former Olympians or college players? At least then you can convince fans they’re more than a pretty face.

She seems to have the right resume. Good luck to her!

To your point about women players - most of them play in women’s leagues and would take far less money to play hockey rather than look pretty and talk about it.

There are plenty of attractive women on Team USA and Team Canada, but I think many of them wouldn’t be at all interested in a “reporter” gig. Just my guess...

Reactions: BMC

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Has she played hockey at a competitive level? No, then find someone else. Bottom line: if you want insight, you need someone who knows.

There are a billion “hockey fans” from a “hockey city” that would love to be on TV. There is also a ton of former NHL stars that would be available for this role.

Insist on bringing women in to cover a man’s league....fine. How about one of the many former Olympians or college players? At least then you can convince fans they’re more than a pretty face.

Why not give her a chance before you start the BS about being just another pretty face? Kathryn Tappen never played hockey, but she is very knowledgeable about the game and is a consummate professional. In my own personal life, I know of at least three women who never played the game, but would put their knowledge up against anyone.

In the name of not being sexist, you are being quite f***ing sexist when you state only hockey players should be commenting on hockey.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I wondered what had happened to hear as she completely disappeared from Sportsnet around the end of 2018. Honestly guys - I think you'll like her as she knows her stuff and understands that her job is to make the players look good. Hey it could have been worse - you could have got Jackie freaking Redmond instead. :thumbd:

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
Why not give her a chance before you start the BS about being just another pretty face? Kathryn Tappen never played hockey, but she is very knowledgeable about the game and is a consummate professional. In my own personal life, I know of at least three women who never played the game, but would put their knowledge up against anyone.

In the name of not being sexist, you are being quite ****ing sexist when you state only hockey players should be commenting on hockey.

You call it how you see it and I’ll do the same. I allowed for a woman that has played the game at a high level to fill the position, though personally, I don’t prefer it. My prior comments weren’t sexist.

There is no BS in saying a person that hasn’t played the game shouldn’t be commenting/advising or providing insight on it. Give me any number of former players that spit and stutter, gap-toothed, through their informed assessments over someone who hasn’t laced them up professionally (male or female).

Here is a small blurb about Sophie. It lists the sports she’s played....do you see hockey?

Sophia Jurksztowicz —

Nope. She loves the game....so do I....so do you. So what? I love beer....doesn’t make me a master brewer. Maybe I start my own blog and talk about it. That’s up to me. Should the Brewers Association hire me to promote craft brewing to their prospective audience when I haven’t ever brewed a beer? Or are they better off finding a retired professional that know what the Hell he talking about?

Pretty sound logic, right? So what are we left with? A good looking girl that loves the game on TV. I wish her well, but not my preference in this application.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
She seems to have the right resume. Good luck to her!

To your point about women players - most of them play in women’s leagues and would take far less money to play hockey rather than look pretty and talk about it.

There are plenty of attractive women on Team USA and Team Canada, but I think many of them wouldn’t be at all interested in a “reporter” gig. Just my guess...

Women hockey players retire too. And to your point, they don’t seem too happy with their compensation during their playing careers. Didn’t two leagues just fold due to strike/lack of funds?

Seems an opportune time to find another avenue to stay a part of the game for a lot of women...especially given today’s climate. Couple few decent looking ones too.

I always liked seeing the various games supporting their own. If not a former NHLer, or AHLer....how about one of those former female pros?

And if not, no problem, but then nobody can deny that they hired a pretty face. Sure haven’t seen any dog-faced gremlins associated with the NHL, have we?

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Women hockey players retire too. And to your point, they don’t seem too happy with their compensation during their playing careers. Didn’t two leagues just fold due to strike/lack of funds?

Seems an opportune time to find another avenue to stay a part of the game for a lot of women...especially given today’s climate. Couple few decent looking ones too.

I always liked seeing the various games supporting their own. If not a former NHLer, or AHLer....how about one of those former female pros?

And if not, no problem, but then nobody can deny that they hired a pretty face. Sure haven’t seen any dog-faced gremlins associated with the NHL, have we?
The job of on air talent is a lot harder than it looks. Just shoving an ex player in the role is a recipe for disaster. Did you catch Kendal Coyne Schofield on NBC? She was cringe worthy and it adversely affected the broadcasts.

Boston is a prime market, and not one to be breaking in someone who's never done it before.

That being said, I checked out more of Sophia's work and stumbled across a podcast she did with Jackie Redmond. It's possible it was aimed at a younger demographic than I, but it was not good.

But I'm confident she'll be better on NESN.

Reactions: bbfan419

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
The job of on air talent is a lot harder than it looks. Just shoving an ex player in the role is a recipe for disaster. Did you catch Kendal Coyne Schofield on NBC? She was cringe worthy and it adversely affected the broadcasts.

Boston is a prime market, and not one to be breaking in someone who's never done it before.

That being said, I checked out more of Sophia's work and stumbled across a podcast she did with Jackie Redmond. It's possible it was aimed at a younger demographic than I, but it was not good.

But only ex-hockey players are the only ones who are qualified to have an opinion and be allowed to be on the air...

:laugh:

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
But only ex-hockey players are the only ones who are qualified to have an opinion and be allowed to be on the air...

:laugh:
LivelyFrequentJellyfish-size_restricted.gif

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB

Yes Kendal Coyne was AWFUL! She sounded like a scared little 12 year old who had won a contest to be TV commentator for a day. The other girl though who is a regular is actually very good.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
You call it how you see it and I’ll do the same. I allowed for a woman that has played the game at a high level to fill the position, though personally, I don’t prefer it. My prior comments weren’t sexist.

There is no BS in saying a person that hasn’t played the game shouldn’t be commenting/advising or providing insight on it. Give me any number of former players that spit and stutter, gap-toothed, through their informed assessments over someone who hasn’t laced them up professionally (male or female).

Here is a small blurb about Sophie. It lists the sports she’s played....do you see hockey?

Sophia Jurksztowicz —

Nope. She loves the game....so do I....so do you. So what? I love beer....doesn’t make me a master brewer. Maybe I start my own blog and talk about it. That’s up to me. Should the Brewers Association hire me to promote craft brewing to their prospective audience when I haven’t ever brewed a beer? Or are they better off finding a retired professional that know what the Hell he talking about?

Pretty sound logic, right? So what are we left with? A good looking girl that loves the game on TV. I wish her well, but not my preference in this application.
Kathryn Tappen never played hockey.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

Sophia Jurksztowicz —

Christ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad