Soon the NHLPA Certified Agents will lead the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mat

OTTSENS said:
It's going to be a great day when the NHL opens its doors this September with replacement players.
no it wont
OTTSENS said:
Who needs those overpaid "regular" NHL players?
nhl fans, obviously. you must be in denial.
OTTSENS said:
And if you don't like it don't watch it it's that simple.
that will be the attitude of many, and the nhl will eventually fold to the PA. an over glorified minor league cannot exist at the pro/corperate level for long. can you say XFL?
OTTSENS said:
the NHL is here to stay.
coulda fooled me! :lol

Mat

garry1221 said:
the nhl was smart only filing the first grievance. they're testing out the waters so they'll know where to go from here on out. frankly the agents have no allegiance to the PA. they're not paying dues to the PA

Even if the NLRB ruled againt the PA, most agents are unlikely to broker replacements deals, for the very simple fact that they won't want to risk upsetting the rest of their respective client bases.

While some agents aren't happy with the direction of this lockout, most are united with Goodenow. They also compete against each other for clients. It would be shortsightedly stupid for an agent to negotiate replacement player contracts for several clients, only to run the risk of losing to other player agents more valuable clients who'd consider his actions a betrayal.

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
What whould happen to those high-profile agents that represent a player that wants to cross and he is unwilling to negotiate for him. That player would look for agents that may be willing to negotiate a contract. So, I believe agents of high-profiled players that don't want to lose clients may lose one, two but when or if players start crossing by a greater number the high-profile agent will only have two courses of action one to start negotiating contracts for his clients to cross the line or two convince the union to negotiate a CBA. So if the replacement player strategy works it will only take one or two agents to get clients from rivals to force some kind of agreement.

mackdogs*

The Messenger said:
Why do people keep saying this ??
Why are you assuming the old CBA will be identical to the new one? All I'm pointing out is the link you supplied is to the old CBA. You may as well post a link to Eklund's latest CBA proposal and base your statements against that. The old CBA = unfounded now. Assuming the details will be identical is just silly.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
mackdogs said:
Why are you assuming the old CBA will be identical to the new one? All I'm pointing out is the link you supplied is to the old CBA. You may as well post a link to Eklund's latest CBA proposal and base your statements against that. The old CBA = unfounded now. Assuming the details will be identical is just silly.
Until an new CBA is in effect the old one is still valid in a lot of areas .. In this case even moreso .. The NHL is threatning to file a claim with the NLRB against the NHLPA for a Agent getting decertified if he represents a player as a replacement ..

If the old CBA is not valid as you say how could the NHL file such a claim ??

Last edited:

Mat

Taranis_24 said:
What whould happen to those high-profile agents that represent a player that wants to cross and he is unwilling to negotiate for him. That player would look for agents that may be willing to negotiate a contract. So, I believe agents of high-profiled players that don't want to lose clients may lose one, two but when or if players start crossing by a greater number the high-profile agent will only have two courses of action one to start negotiating contracts for his clients to cross the line or two convince the union to negotiate a CBA. So if the replacement player strategy works it will only take one or two agents to get clients from rivals to force some kind of agreement.

i seriously doubt any high-profile players will become scab players

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
Mat said:
i seriously doubt any high-profile players will become scab players

Right. If it gets that far that replacement players are used. It has been reported that Mario Lemieux will play. I would bet some other Penguins would join him just to start. It only takes one or two to start the masses... It doesn't have to be the 8M+ players to cross. How many 2-5M salary clients do you really think agents are willing to lose. Don't fool yourself there will be a good number of players in that range willing to consider crossing the line, again if it comes to that.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The Messenger said:
Until an new CBA is in effect the old one is still valid in a lot of areas .. In this case even moreso .. The NHL is threatning to file a claim with the NLRB against the NHLPA for a Agent getting decertified if he represents a player as a replacement ..

If the old CBA is not valid as you say how could the NHL file such a claim ??

The potential claim is based on the merit that it's an unfair labor practice. It has nothing to do with the contents of the old CBA. As has been posted before the old CBA is null and void. To restore any of its provisions they have to be recognized in a new CBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad