Soo Greyhounds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Hounds pick Roman Pucek at 58 and Jaromir Pytlik at 118.

Any insight into these guys? Pucek seems to have solid numbers for spmeons picked 58. Obviously hoping Sandin comes back and Kupari reports so these might be guys we that could come over for the 2020 season.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Hounds pick Roman Pucek at 58 and Jaromir Pytlik at 118.

Any insight into these guys? Pucek seems to have solid numbers for spmeons picked 58. Obviously hoping Sandin comes back and Kupari reports so these might be guys we that could come over for the 2020 season.
Pucek I know nothing about. Solid numbers, but as an U18 player he should dominate in a relatively weak U18 league. Fact he got invited to the Leafs development camp tells me there might be something though.

Pytlik is a top prospect for 2020, expected to play in Extraliga the following season. Even if you somehow have the spot for him, don't expect him to report.

Radar9

Hounds/London !
Aug 11, 2012
Hounds / London
Pucek I know nothing about. Solid numbers, but as an U18 player he should dominate in a relatively weak U18 league. Fact he got invited to the Leafs development camp tells me there might be something though.

Pytlik is a top prospect for 2020, expected to play in Extraliga the following season. Even if you somehow have the spot for him, don't expect him to report.
Yup thats what they all said about Sandin
don't expect Sandin to report lol

GameTime

Oct 25, 2017
Guessing Ward will leave with Bannister. Ruicci had an article about Cirella's contract being up, but he wants the head job. Cirella would be a great option.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
Joe Cirella to be an assistant coach for Stockton in the AHL. Affiliate team of the Calgary Flames.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Anyone heard who the new head coach will be? With Cirella now gone, looks like a new coach will have the opportunity to bring in a whole new staff.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Yes another up and coming coach seems like. Hopefully the Hounds will let him dole out discipline and let him run the team without interference from "The Board". LOL

Congrats to Coach Dean. Now i'm excited for the upcoming season. We need 3 good OA's and hopefully the return/arrival of our Imports and should be in the thick of things all year!

mag1600

Jun 15, 2012
What do Hounds' fans think about the rumours of Jordan Smith joining the team as an associate coach under John Dean? He would assume the responsibilities that Joe Cirella had.

Reactions: BehindSooNet

staubitz

Apr 30, 2015
Same here, so sorry to hear of Ray Emery's unexpected passing. I loved watching him play while with the Hounds - he displayed a level of emotion and intensity you don't always see from a goalie.

Ray attended my wife's high school while in SSM. She described him as a cool, down to earth guy.

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Jordan Smith was named assistant coach this morning.

Also, we signed Kerins yesterday that's our top two picks locked up. Glad to see things moving along. Now to get Sandin to commit one more year and Kupari to report... Oh man I'm getting excited!

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Jordan Smith was named assistant coach this morning.

Also, we signed Kerins yesterday that's our top two picks locked up. Glad to see things moving along. Now to get Sandin to commit one more year and Kupari to report... Oh man I'm getting excited!

Our selection of a 2000 birth year player in Pucek would seem to suggest that they don't expect one of Kupari or Sandin to play for the Greyhounds.

Last edited:

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
We drafted two imports this year, since both our import selections from last year in Sandin and Kupari are NHL 1st rounders you are allowed an additional selection for each without sacrificing any rights to them. Id imagine Raftis hopes Kupari and Sandin show.. if one or neither come to the Hounds he can then explore the options of this years selections (both of which are no sure thing to report).

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
We drafted two imports this year, since both our import selections from last year in Sandin and Kupari are NHL 1st rounders you are allowed an additional selection for each without sacrificing any rights to them. Id imagine Raftis hopes Kupari and Sandin show.. if one or neither come to the Hounds he can then explore the options of this years selections (both of which are no sure thing to report).

I understand all of that. My point was that by selecting an older player in Pucek, the Hounds probably expect him to be on the roster this season. Otherwise, they would have taken someone younger and let him develop in Europe for a season.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Kupari stays in Oulun Kärpät.
LA Kings wants him play in Finland next season.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Pucek is a pretty good bet for you guys. He was invited to Leafs camp just came from the Czech U18 league. Typically a European junior league + not an elite prospect + showing up to a NA camp bodes pretty well for an import pick reporting. He looked good enough to fill a top 9 winger role for you guys next year.

The problem you will have is getting any of the others to report. Kupari is going back to Finland, Sandin could very well go back to Sweden, and Pytlik is likely staying in Czechnia where he could be getting every day minutes in their top pro league. If Sandin does not come back, you will have a pretty big hole in the top 4 alongside Hollowell (who should be back), DeMeo and LeGuerrier. If he does come back, you should have a pretty good defense set for next year between Sandin, Hollowell, DeMeo, LeGuerrier, Wale, Calisti, Caron and O'Rourke.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Any word on whether Beecher or Caufield will commit next year? It seems to me like the Hounds could use a couple of top 6 wingers, a top 9 center, and a backup goalie next year (since I anticipate Johnson will be dealt). Beecher and Caufield could at least fill the need for a top 6 winger and a top 9 center. Getting another top 6 winger, especially since SSM would have an open OA spot after trading Johnson, would not be extremely difficult.

Otherwise, these are some predictions that you can take with a grain of salt:
- Sign Pucek and hope Sandin comes back in this scenario.
- Trade Johnson to a team like OS. Could also be Ottawa, Flint or Windsor (assuming they trade DiPietro), but trading him would be very beneficial to recouping some assets and opening up an OA spot which is important for the next trade. SSM can replace him internally after a competition in training camp (I am going to say Ryan McNair only because I have no idea who is the best option and he's the oldest), or could easily acquire someone for cheap later on in the year.
- Trading Howdeshell + Jacklin + picks to Sudbury for the Pilon twins + Levin. A pretty sizable move with Jacklin and the twins head to their hometown teams and SSM giving a very talented young player a fresh start. Sudbury has a few young LW's they'd like to give a shot, so I would think they are willing to give up either MacAuley Carson or David Levin for the right price. Levin brings the speed SSM wants, so he would be a better fit. SSM may have to give up a couple of 2nd's in this trade, all things considered they are able to get a lot done without giving up significant assets.
- Sign Kalvyn Watson or Dominic Mufarreh. Either can effectively replace Jacklin next year. Otherwise, they could look to the trade market. There are some decent players who could make themselves available this year who can fill a 3rd or 4th line role.
- Acquire Maxim Grondin from Saginaw. He's a big bodied center with some speed who is only an 00'. He could play up and down the lineup which should allow Kerins to develop at his own pace, and he is someone who could stick around for 2 or 3 years. Saginaw has a lot of talented young centers they are going to try and fit into the lineup, so for a good pick package, they'd probably be willing to sell him.

After all of that, this would be the lineup you ice next year:

Forwards
LW David Levin - C Morgan Frost - RW Ryan Roth
LW Darian Pilon - C Barrett Hayton - RW Drake Pilon
LW Joseph Carroll - C Maxim Grondin - RW Cole MacKay
LW Roman Pucek - C Rory Kerins - RW Dominic Mufarreh
LW Zackary Trott - C Tye Kartye - RW Kalvyn Watson

Defensemen
LD Rasmus Sandin - RD Mac Hollowell
LD Anthony DeMeo - RD Jacob LeGuerrier
LD Ryan O'Rourke - RD Robert Calisti
LD Holden Wale - RD Phil Caron

Goalies
G Matt Villalta - G Ryan McNair

Additions: LW Darian Pilon (from Sudbury), RW Drake Pilon (from Sudbury), LW David Levin (from Sudbury), C Maxim Grondin (from Saginaw), LW Roman Pucek (CHL Import Draft Signing), RW Kalvyn Watson (OHL Draft Signing), RW Dominic Mufarreh (OHL Draft Signing), G Ryan McNair (OHL U18 Draft Signing), Picks (from OS)
Subtractions: LW Keeghan Howdeshell (to Sudbury), RW Brett Jacklin (to Sudbury), G Tyler Johnson (to OS), Picks (to Sudbury + Saginaw).

Reactions: soo hound girl

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
With Kyle Dubas in charge of the Leafs now, it seems extremely likely that Sandin will be back with the Greyhounds. He knows firsthand that the Soo is one of the best places in the world for a young player to develop.

Reactions: soo hound girl

ivegotyour6

Sep 12, 2008
I believe, starting this season, overage goaltenders will no longer count against a teams three overage roster spots. So in theory, a team could carry four overage players as long as one of them is a goaltender.

We have some big question marks going into this season. Will Hayton, Frost, Hollowell turn pro? Sandin seems antsy to return to Sweden, but remember Gustav Bourraman a few years ago, I say we have a good chance of bringing him back.

As for the Pilons, I'm not sure they would fit into the top 6 next year, especially with the emergence of Joe Carroll and the solid play in limited action by Cole McKay.

As for Cole Caufield, and Johnny Beecher, I would be shocked to see either of them ever wear the red and white of the Soo Greyhounds. Both are exceptionally talented, but have strong ties to the NCAA route. Would be great to see one of the two show up, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->