Soo Greyhounds 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I just want to make a rather sad observation. No matter how poorly Windsor does, they are in the Memorial Cup. For many teams, including us, we will never have that opportunity. $$$$ is all that matters. How unfair for so many teams.

I think Windsor was the only team to bid in fairness? The Soo would have made a great host I think they didn't bid because they didn't think they had the team they ended up having. I'm not sure it's all about the money but granted Sportsnet probably has some say into where it goes I guess?

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I just want to make a rather sad observation. No matter how poorly Windsor does, they are in the Memorial Cup. For many teams, including us, we will never have that opportunity. $$$$ is all that matters. How unfair for so many teams.

I know what will cheer you up. Read Aristophanes' The Assembly-Women, a comedic play that pokes fun at radical egalitarianism.
Until then, enjoy the playoffs, the Soo has a great, entertaining team.

staubitz

Apr 30, 2015
I'm planning to make the trip on the weekend to catch game 2. Can't wait!

I normally sit higher up along one of the blue lines. But for this game I'm thinking of sitting at the end of the rink behind the glass. Soo fans - how many rows from the ice surface have a view through the glass? How high up can you go before having to look through the netting?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

I normally sit higher up along one of the blue lines. But for this game I'm thinking of sitting at the end of the rink behind the glass. Soo fans - how many rows from the ice surface have a view through the glass? How high up can you go before having to look through the netting?

My grandfather used to have seasons in row F and you didn't look through netting, but I can't say for the higher rows. That's a tough question to answer, as I usually sit by the blue lines as well.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
If you're too low along the sides then you've got to look thru that crappy new NHL glass which distorts as you look thru it. I'm in Row G and looking to move up so i don't have to look thru the glass next year.

Radar9

Hounds/London !
Aug 11, 2012
Hounds / London

is it just you coming you can have my sit its up high i dont like to sit my sit is on the blue lines let me know

DavelPatsyuk13

Oct 10, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
If you're too low along the sides then you've got to look thru that crappy new NHL glass which distorts as you look thru it. I'm in Row G and looking to move up so i don't have to look thru the glass next year.

Tell me about it. I'm low in a corner and last year the seats were fine. This year, it's impossible to see the other end of the ice through the extra wide glass panels. If I renew for next season, I'll probably move. With the low attendance this year, I've done a lot of seat jumping and the best seats are honestly along the side, just above the glass level. It's a great view and you can actually hear a lot of what's going on on the ice.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
this time of year, you always wonder which players are focused on the ohl playoffs or getting out of town as soon as possible to join the big boys in the ahl for a limited time.
Hope the hounds 19 year old drafted players want one more run and are not focused on moving on. There play on the ice will certainly show it. Hope Speers, Senyshen, C. White, are looking forward to a run with the hounds. I am convinced about White giving 100% effort, but the jury will be out on the other 2.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
this time of year, you always wonder which players are focused on the ohl playoffs or getting out of town as soon as possible to join the big boys in the ahl for a limited time.
Hope the hounds 19 year old drafted players want one more run and are not focused on moving on. There play on the ice will certainly show it. Hope Speers, Senyshen, C. White, are looking forward to a run with the hounds. I am convinced about White giving 100% effort, but the jury will be out on the other 2.

Hounds have enough depth that they can sit Speers and Senyshyn and still do a lot of damage in the playoffs, but I wouldn't worry about them being focused elsewhere

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
You both bring up a VERY good point. I remember the year we played London....too lazy to look it up mind you...they had Mason and we had Dustin Jeffery if that rings any bells? We had London on the ropes and were inside Mason's head but the team, rumours had it quit on Hartsburg and some veteran players even had other plans already in place?

It's just rumours of course but where there's smoke.....so yes you hope the kids of today will want to go as far as they can and give it their all but we'll just have to see i guess?

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
You both bring up a VERY good point. I remember the year we played London....too lazy to look it up mind you...they had Mason and we had Dustin Jeffery if that rings any bells? We had London on the ropes and were inside Mason's head but the team, rumours had it quit on Hartsburg and some veteran players even had other plans already in place?

It's just rumours of course but where there's smoke.....so yes you hope the kids of today will want to go as far as they can and give it their all but we'll just have to see i guess?

would hope at the bare minimum Speers would WANT to lead his hometown team as far as they can go, Senyshyn I'd question more but hopefully Bannister can keep everyone's egos in check

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Why is this even being discussed? Senyshyn has done great things for the Greyhounds and there has never been any question about his work ethic. Let's just enjoy the playoffs.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016

Are you talking about the 2007 Conference Semi-final when SSM came back from a 3-0 deficit to force a Game 7?

Series K W L GF GA
London Knights 4 3 27 24
Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds 3 4 24 27

Apr 5 Sault Ste. Marie Gre 1 3 at London Knights
Apr 6 Sault Ste. Marie Gre 1 4 at London Knights
Apr 9 London Knights 6 5 at Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds OT
Apr 10 London Knights 0 3 at Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
Apr 13 Sault Ste. Marie Gre 5 2 at London Knights
Apr 15 London Knights 4 5 at Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
Apr 16 Sault Ste. Marie Gre 4 8 at London Knights

I'm not quite sure I follow your argument--you're saying the team fought back to tie the series, realized they might actually win, decided they'd rather be golfing, and quit on the coach?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Effort from Speers won't be an issue. He is the hardest working 2 way player on the roster, IMO

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Wow, this discussion is bizarre in the least. Do people really think Speers and Senyshyn are going to quit in the playoffs because they want to play in the AHL? Did Mitch Marner quit on the Knights last year because he wanted to play out the year on the Marlies?

Come on, this is rediculous.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
not saying they will quit, but today's young players have a different mind set then players from the past in my opinion. I.E. can't stand the coach, do what they want when they want, how they want. Some look at it and say I can go make some $$$ playing pro. Some have girlfriends they need to go see back home. Who knows what the reason as to why they won't go 100% but some players do wheather you want to believe it or not.

staubitz

Apr 30, 2015
My grandfather used to have seasons in row F and you didn't look through netting, but I can't say for the higher rows. That's a tough question to answer, as I usually sit by the blue lines as well.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

I ended up getting a seat in Row D in the north end of the rink where the Hounds shoot twice. Nothing like Greyhounds playoff hockey.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
not saying they will quit, but today's young players have a different mind set then players from the past in my opinion. I.E. can't stand the coach, do what they want when they want, how they want. Some look at it and say I can go make some $$$ playing pro. Some have girlfriends they need to go see back home. Who knows what the reason as to why they won't go 100% but some players do wheather you want to believe it or not.

I won't pretend to know Drew Bannister very well, but he wouldn't put up with that kind of attitude on his team. Players that don't put in the required effort get benched or don't get much ice time. We've made the playoffs for several consecutive years now and I'm sure he has a pretty good idea what their mindset is in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->