Soo Greyhounds 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Looking forward to seeing the Hounds this afternoon! Never seem to know which version of the team will show up in Sudbury. Hopefully they don't take the Wolves lightly and get behind early again.

With the Soo having clinched the division, are they expected to rest anyone?

Hard to say if Bannister will be wanting to rest anyone this early, there's still a week left of regular season hockey so we could see some players being scratched for next weekend's games. Then again this depends if Bannister and the rest of the Hounds brass are gunning for Erie or they're content with sitting in 2nd going into the playoffs.

As for today's game, as long as the Hounds can keep Sokolov away from the net, we should have a chance...we've played amazing down the stretch but Sudbury always seems to give us issues.

JR is getting the start also after having not played since March 2nd so hopefully he shows up this game too as Villalta is certainly gunning for that #1 spot going into the playoffs

Radar9

Hounds/London !
Aug 11, 2012
Hounds / London
Looking forward to seeing the Hounds this afternoon! Never seem to know which version of the team will show up in Sudbury. Hopefully they don't take the Wolves lightly and get behind early again.

With the Soo having clinched the division, are they expected to rest anyone?
I dont think they will rest anyone there is still the Conference divison they can take :yo:

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
This may be a stupid question but does anyone know what this whole "Bell Challenge Cup" is and why it's always with the season series with Sudbury? I've been a hounds fan my whole life and I never understood it.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
This may be a stupid question but does anyone know what this whole "Bell Challenge Cup" is and why it's always with the season series with Sudbury? I've been a hounds fan my whole life and I never understood it.

It's just a trophy for the winner of the season series with our biggest rival. I don't​ know if it has any real history other than being a promotional tool for Bell.

I didn't see the game today, how was Raaymakers?

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
So at this stage worst we can finish is 2nd in the Western Conference with a very longggggggg shot of finishing first. Again only if Erie loses 2 of it's last 3. I'm happy with 2nd and hope we just play up to our potential throughout the playoffs! Finish up strong and give it all they've got! Go Hounds! :handclap:

hfp

Jul 30, 2009
SSM
So at this stage worst we can finish is 2nd in the Western Conference with a very longggggggg shot of finishing first. Again only if Erie loses 2 of it's last 3. I'm happy with 2nd and hope we just play up to our potential throughout the playoffs! Finish up strong and give it all they've got! Go Hounds! :handclap:

Not that long of a shot.

Erie goes 1-2 and we go 3-0 we take first by a point.
Erie goes 1-1-1 and we go 3-0 we tie with Erie, and because it's 49 regulation wins each, we would go to HEAD TO HEAD to determine tie breaker, which we would win. (3-2 Erie win, 6-3 Hounds win, 8-6 Hounds)

Erie goes 3-0 and we go 3-0. Well yeah, we finish 2nd. We lose any game, yeah we finish second.

So i guess, it's like..almost 50/50 haha.

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
It's just a trophy for the winner of the season series with our biggest rival. I don't​ know if it has any real history other than being a promotional tool for Bell.

I didn't see the game today, how was Raaymakers?

I thought Raaymakers was good. He made a few good saves, didnt let in any softies. McGrath was the star though for Sudbury, he made some great saves and the score would have been bigger if it wasn't for him.

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Not that long of a shot.

Erie goes 1-2 and we go 3-0 we take first by a point.
Erie goes 1-1-1 and we go 3-0 we tie with Erie, and because it's 49 regulation wins each, we would go to HEAD TO HEAD to determine tie breaker, which we would win. (3-2 Erie win, 6-3 Hounds win, 8-6 Hounds)

Erie goes 3-0 and we go 3-0. Well yeah, we finish 2nd. We lose any game, yeah we finish second.

So i guess, it's like..almost 50/50 haha.

Need London to win tonight for this to happen. After that, Erie has Kitchener and Guelph left. Not saying it's impossible, but its a longshot for us to get first overall.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Need London to win tonight for this to happen. After that, Erie has Kitchener and Guelph left. Not saying it's impossible, but its a longshot for us to get first overall.

I'm also pulling for London to pass Owen Sound because they would be a far easier opponent in a potential second round matchup.

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
We have any rough ideas as to when Round 1, Games 1&2 will be? Safe to assume two of next Thurs/Fri/Sat based on the past? Trying to figure out personal scheduling haha

According to the OHL website, playoffs begin on Thursday following completion of the regular season. Which would mean we would play game 1 either Thursday or Friday.

DavelPatsyuk13

Oct 10, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
According to the OHL website, playoffs begin on Thursday following completion of the regular season. Which would mean we would play game 1 either Thursday or Friday.

Did a bit of research into it, and by the looks of it the Hounds like to open the playoffs Friday/Saturday when at home. We'll see if that's the case again this year.

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Hounds laying an egg in Saginaw. They don't look good at all. If we don't come back and win we can kiss any chance of 1st overall goodbye

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Anyone else worried with how the Hounds are playing right now? Two lousy games in a row, very fortunate to get the win tonight. I'm telling you, I'm feeling the series against flint won't be easy. While our record shows we are contender sometimes I watch this team and I think otherwise. Could say it'd because we are gearing up for the playoffs, but I still expect an effort in these last games, especially against a team eliminated from playoffs.

DavelPatsyuk13

Oct 10, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (2) vs. Flint Firebirds (7)
Game 1, Thurs, Mar 23 at Sault Ste. Marie – 7:07 p.m.
Game 2, Sat, Mar 25 at Sault Ste. Marie – 7:07 p.m.
Game 3, Mon, Mar 27 at Flint – 7:00 p.m.
Game 4, Wed, Mar 29 at Flint – 7:00 p.m.
Game 5, Fri, Mar 31 at Sault Ste. Marie – 7:07 p.m.
Game 6, Sun, Apr 2 at Flint – 4:00 p.m.
Game 7, Tues, Apr 4 at Sault Ste. Marie – 7:07 p. m.

DavelPatsyuk13

Oct 10, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Anyone else worried with how the Hounds are playing right now? Two lousy games in a row, very fortunate to get the win tonight. I'm telling you, I'm feeling the series against flint won't be easy. While our record shows we are contender sometimes I watch this team and I think otherwise. Could say it'd because we are gearing up for the playoffs, but I still expect an effort in these last games, especially against a team eliminated from playoffs.

It's hard to say. Last year we had a mediocre regular season, and an arguably completely different team showed up come playoff time. I'm just hoping they can find that extra gear again this year, because lately we've seen quite a bit of bad hockey. If not, this series could very easily become one we lose, off the top of my head I'm pretty sure most of our match ups in the reg season were close, and they've been playing well.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

Not in the least. Our goalie is hot and our skaters are healthy and rested. The motivation will certainly be there in the playoffs.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Hopefully the Hounds play a full roster today, and go into the playoffs on a 'high'.

Good luck in the PO'S.
Hope Drew Bannister gets to return to the Bayshore and show us what he's been up to !
:)

louis

Apr 3, 2014
I just want to make a rather sad observation. No matter how poorly Windsor does, they are in the Memorial Cup. For many teams, including us, we will never have that opportunity. $$$$ is all that matters. How unfair for so many teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->