Sony PS4 #11: "Oh crap" - Nathan Drake

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Anyone want a free copy of the Spiderman "The City that Never Sleeps" DLC. I borrowed by brother in laws copy of the game, then bought the DLC while still borrowing his copy. I then got my own copy for Christmas and it came with a digital code for the DLC. I have no need for it but I figured there might be someone on here who wants it. PM me for the code, first come first serve.

Edit:Claimed

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I'm playing resident evil 1 and I feel like I have to start over cause I just killed soooo many zombies that now there's a red zombie in every hallway.
I was just telling this same story today, haha. Bloody red zombies.

I just bought the Resident Evil 2 remake for $33 on Amazon too. Full price was too much, but this is a decent discount.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
PS plus games announced for Aug and I am hyped. Not because of COD MW 2 remastered but because of Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout! Think of a game show type of game, battle royal with party like games. Every round knocks out people. I've literally played like 40 matches on PC test beta and loved it. It will also have splitscreen online too so you can grab a friend, relative, or significant other and play against 66 other people online. It hasnt even released yet. It's release date is literally going to be the day it comes out on PS PLUS.

Side note: the splitscreen is rumored to be released on the same day. No confirmation last I read.

Reactions: KapG

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Sony fought like f*** to keep the rights to that IP, so I can see why it's PS only.
Apparently they don't own the rights at all outside of film. This is just an agreement between Sony and Marvel going back to Spiderman 2018, where Marvel basically felt like slapped together movie tie-in games were harming the characters reputation and made a deal with Sony to give Spiderman a AAA game in exchange for the character being exclusive to the console.

Also, apparently Fall Guys is a fully new game releasing on PS Plus? Has this ever happened before? I'm dying to play it but my PS4 is out for repair

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Couple games I've had my eye on got kinda-dates at the SoP thing: Genshin Impact releasing in "the Fall" and ANNO: Mutationem releasing in December.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Man these low budget JRPGs seriously need to have a lower base price. They're all either full price or just slightly less. Who in their right mind thinks people will buy them at that price?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Just beat FF7 for the first time.

My goodness the story is terrible. I couldn't get over how they use normal spells that have existed throughout the final fantasy series as crucial plot points.

That said I definitely could see how it blew people's mind in its time, especially the last fight. Unfortunately the mid game twist was spoiled for me at least a decade ago, I didn't know about the plot twist involving cloud and Zach though, so that hit me fresh. I still don't know the answer to that tbh, really confusing.

Also I have no idea why people say the game is easy, I actually had to use megalixirs several times throughout the game and used 4 in the last boss fight.

Reactions: DJ Spinoza

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
We were talking about it in the FF7 remake thread, as I also just beat it for the first time. I went in blind on all fronts, so didn't have those issues. I liked the story on the whole, although I would say that the way it's delivered could have been sharpened somewhat. I'm lucky that I had some non-spoiler help to make sure I didn't miss key plot stuff that they inexplicably left as effectively information dumps.

I found the game to be not overwhelmingly difficult. I did do a small bit of grinding in conjunction with exploring, so that helped out. What annoyed me somewhat were inexplicable difficulty spikes. I had real trouble with how often enemies in the crater could insta-kill you, which got frustrating. I think the only battle where I had to use elixrs and megaelixrs was the final one, which I was getting extremely fed up with (due to the supernova attack), and then I happened to pull it together and win unexpectedly without dying. I did completely die a handful of times in the game but the difficulty wasn't really overwhelming to me.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
We were talking about it in the FF7 remake thread, as I also just beat it for the first time. I went in blind on all fronts, so didn't have those issues. I liked the story on the whole, although I would say that the way it's delivered could have been sharpened somewhat. I'm lucky that I had some non-spoiler help to make sure I didn't miss key plot stuff that they inexplicably left as effectively information dumps.

I found the game to be not overwhelmingly difficult. I did do a small bit of grinding in conjunction with exploring, so that helped out. What annoyed me somewhat were inexplicable difficulty spikes. I had real trouble with how often enemies in the crater could insta-kill you, which got frustrating. I think the only battle where I had to use elixrs and megaelixrs was the final one, which I was getting extremely fed up with (due to the supernova attack), and then I happened to pull it together and win unexpectedly without dying. I did completely die a handful of times in the game but the difficulty wasn't really overwhelming to me.
Which plot points were those? I basically played blind other than when I forgot how to get back to the golden saucer and the combination to the safe in shinra mansion (I could have figured it out but I really didn't want to). I did yuffies side stuff which was missable but thats about all the optional stuff i got.

Yeah, the crater is difficult, but none of the enemies are immune to demi so you can do 9999 damage even at low levels. As for sephiroth using supernova, yeah, insanely long but I would just fast forward, plus it can't kill you (I think it takes you down to 1%) so its kind of a signal to use megalixir, I was able to beat sephiroth first try with ultima and comet (important not to have these two spell on one character), summons, and regen. The status effects were tough because only cloud had esuna but fortunately i had a ton of remedys.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Which plot points were those? I basically played blind other than when I forgot how to get back to the golden saucer and the combination to the safe in shinra mansion (I could have figured it out but I really didn't want to). I did yuffies side stuff which was missable but thats about all the optional stuff i got.

Yeah, the crater is difficult, but none of the enemies are immune to demi so you can do 9999 damage even at low levels. As for sephiroth using supernova, yeah, insanely long but I would just fast forward, plus it can't kill you (I think it takes you down to 1%) so its kind of a signal to use megalixir, I was able to beat sephiroth first try with ultima and comet (important not to have these two spell on one character), summons, and regen. The status effects were tough because only cloud had esuna but fortunately i had a ton of remedys.

The main things off the top of my head were looking at the shelves in the basement in Nibleheim and then especially there is one house with a bunch of information in Icicle Inn. There's also some lore in optional dialogue with the elders in Cosmo Canyon as well as a foreshadowing scene in the one forest village near the Gold Saucer if you go early enough in the game and have Tifa and Aerith in your party.

I'm realizing that I totally didn't make good use of Comet throughout the game. One thing that kind of tripped me up was juggling so much materia as well as shuffling the party members around. With some of the gameplay I almost have the sense that I'll need to play the game again in a few years to really do it well. I left a variety of stuff still to do, such as Wutei, so I think I'll replay it someday, but I definitely got a bit burnt out by the end of it. I'm trying to decide what I'll play next before jumping into the remake. Thinking the Yakuza Remastered collection, but I could use something a little shorter.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Just beat FF7 for the first time.

My goodness the story is terrible. I couldn't get over how they use normal spells that have existed throughout the final fantasy series as crucial plot points.

That said I definitely could see how it blew people's mind in its time, especially the last fight. Unfortunately the mid game twist was spoiled for me at least a decade ago, I didn't know about the plot twist involving cloud and Zach though, so that hit me fresh. I still don't know the answer to that tbh, really confusing.

Also I have no idea why people say the game is easy, I actually had to use megalixirs several times throughout the game and used 4 in the last boss fight.
You mean the connection between Mako, Materia, and magic? I'm confused about why you think of that as a flaw rather than just putting a neat new spin on old things. A lot of Final Fantasy games did this.

Regarding the story, it's one of those games where main story doesn't give you anywhere close to enough context clues to make sense of everything, so it's like an ambiguous/unexplained puzzle that you have to revisit and dig for optional things with in order to put the puzzle pieces together and make sense of it (and even then it may not be obvious). The awful translation really really hurts it as well.

The only major issues I had with the story were how heavily they leaned on melodramatic events. Like everyone's backstory is just that their city got burned to the ground, and it feels like Tifa goes into a near-fatal coma half a dozen times. Other than that, I really like how the story's constructed.

Let me know if there's anything that you guys want cleared up about what actually happens in it.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
You mean the connection between Mako, Materia, and magic? I'm confused about why you think of that as a flaw rather than just putting a neat new spin on old things. A lot of Final Fantasy games did this.
No I mean Holy and Meteor. They're just regular spells in the other games.

The story mostly made sense, it just got insanely dumb when it started becoming about "ancients" whose dad/mom is who, who is a clone of who, etc.

I ultimately googled a lot of it, and it seems the "clone" thing is revealed to be just scientific jargon for the game and not actually "cloning", more genetic engineering

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Oh okay. But why is that a flaw? It's just repurposing lore. Like how some summons are a huge story-relevant deal in some games but are just normal spells in others. One idea I liked and found neat about the story was how it treated the world as a living organism with all of these weird defense mechanisms (Holy being one of them).

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Oh okay. But why is that a flaw? It's just repurposing lore. Like how some summons are a huge story-relevant deal in some games but are just normal spells in others.
It just felt super dumb, like holy is literally one of the first spells you get in the game in some of the FF games.

Edit: I just googled it and I'm wrong, it's a high level spell, still, it seemed stupid to me. Not sure how to put it into words other than it was off-putting.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

The story mostly made sense, it just got insanely dumb when it started becoming about "ancients" whose dad/mom is who, who is a clone of who, etc.

I ultimately googled a lot of it, and it seems the "clone" thing is revealed to be just scientific jargon for the game and not actually "cloning", more genetic engineering
I definitely agree that labeling it as a clone makes it sound like a dumb plot point that just sounds like something a preteen would come up with-- big example of god awful localization. Not sure I see where you're coming from with the other stuff, though.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah I didn't have a similar reaction to that stuff (i.e., it seemed fine to me – I agree that the organic earth stuff worked pretty well, and the importance of the specific spells seemed to tie in nicely with that).

The more I'm reflecting on it, the more I think it's hard to totally experience it in retrospect, even going in somewhat blind but also prepared like I did. I don't mean just to assert a boring truism, but I think part of the appeal of the game is really to be found in all the ways you can dig into the puzzle-like structure. The localization/translation hurts on this front and for me, acclimating to the gameplay was ultimately a little inhibiting in that way. I think I will revisit and poke around one day, but I'm not quite interested in revisiting until some time has gone by, even though I also feel like now I'd be primed for a replay because I got some familiarity with the mechanics, if that makes any sense.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Oh okay. But why is that a flaw? It's just repurposing lore. Like how some summons are a huge story-relevant deal in some games but are just normal spells in others. One idea I liked and found neat about the story was how it treated the world as a living organism with all of these weird defense mechanisms (Holy being one of them).
I should clarify, I've primarily played the SNES games, 12, and 15, so I'm not familiar with other games where normal spells or summons are crucial world defining plot points (I know in 15 obtaining the titan summon is a mandatory story mission but it isn't actually that important), but I would probably think it's just as stupid if I encountered it in the other games.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I finally got around to playing tricky towers, a pretty cool Tetramino stacking physics game. I beat the rookie stages (the 10 easiest levels in the game), and noticed only 29 percent of players even got the trophy, lol.

I'm impressed that at least the multiplayer servers are still online (needless to say there's hardly anyone playing)

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad