Sony PS4 #10: The Return of the Ugly Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I continue to read plenty about new AAA games performing poorly on base PS4s. With three years left in the cycle its not going to get better.

News to me. Haven't had any problems with a base PS4.

I imagine there are far more cases of games not seeing significant upgrades on Pro/One X.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

I imagine there are far more cases of games not seeing significant upgrades on Pro/One X.

God of War and Monster Hunter see to be two culprits for poor performance. What was your experience like with them? Im genuinely curious, as I would very much like to feel like the base unit will perform well for another three years with games that push its limits. I can get a very good kickstart in a PS4 games collection with the $130 difference in cost between the two.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
God of War and Monster Hunter see to be two culprits for poor performance. What was your experience like with them? Im genuinely curious, as I would very much like to feel like the base unit will perform well for another three years with games that push its limits.

Didn't notice anything negative with God of War. I've heard it benefits a lot from HDR, but I believe that would be available on a base PS4 assuming you have a display that supports it? I don't, so I'm not sure. Draw distance was probably worse, actually?

Monster Hunter doesn't have the best frame rate but I've never found it unplayable, though that game performs poorly everywhere. I've heard of it dipping below 30 on a Pro, and there's no way that game is pushing that hardware. If you want 60 there the PC version is coming out eventually, if Capcom even manages that.

Last edited:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I still play my PS3 and haven't upgraded to a current gen console either.

Although I borrowed a friend's Xbox One and have been having fun playing around with it.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ

Yea I haven’t had issues either. I’m still running with a pre-ordered base unit and play every game perfectly fine.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Didn't notice anything negative with God of War. I've heard it benefits a lot from HDR, but I believe that would be available on a base PS4 assuming you have a display that supports it? I don't, so I'm not sure. Draw distance was probably worse, actually?

Monster Hunter doesn't have the best frame rate but I've never found it unplayable, though that game performs poorly everywhere. I've heard of it dipping below 30 on a Pro, and there's no way that game is pushing that hardware. If you want 60 there the PC version is coming out eventually, if Capcom even manages that.

I can't speak for the PlayStation side, but on the Xbox side, Monster Hunter on the base One vs the One X was night and day.

Whether or not they are worth the price difference is, of course, up to the individual user.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Cheers, I appreciate the insight.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I have a base PS4 and Monster Hunter ran perfectly fine for me. Haven't played the new God of War so I can't comment on that at the moment.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
In both god of war and monster hunter on a normal ps4 I would have rare fps drops but they would only last for a second or two. Usually they occured when loading into areas, not during fights or anything important.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Hm, Tokyo Xanadu's on sale for 50% off if anybody's looking for a lower budget Persona.

Reactions: Habsfan18

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
They keep putting Yakuza 6 on sale but then not putting Yakuza 0 on sale and they should stop doing that.

Reactions: Habsfan18

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
REALLY thinking of snagging Tokyo Xanadu
I got to play a bit of it after it initially released and was enjoying what I got to play.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Starting a new character on Bloodborne and the flaws of the opening kind of stick out even more. The fact that you cant level up until you meet the first boss and lose all your experience most likely, really irks me.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
PS4 E3 in alittle over a week. Expected big guns will be talked about: Death Stranding, Spider-Man, Ghost of Tsushima, and The Last of Us: Part II

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
All of the big 4 could be good but it feels like we barely know anything about any of them. Hopefully we'll get to see some more extended gameplay.

It also feels telling that they're not out there talking up Days Gone anymore. Game looked bad as soon as they announced it.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
PS4 1TB Slims just got yanked from Amazon Canada's website (as in sold directly by Amazon). My guess is they're preparing some E3 sales. Xbox announced their E3 sales today.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I was excited for Vampyr and the reviews seem like its pretty solid, so I think I will pick it up eventually, probably after a drop in price.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I got the Yu-Gi-Oh!, Lego Super Heroes & MLB The Show 18 for the PS4. I'm so behind the times. :(

I'll get to play all of them. I need to update the sliders for NHL & Madden when I get the chance.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I was excited for Vampyr and the reviews seem like its pretty solid, so I think I will pick it up eventually, probably after a drop in price.

Me too. I watched a video recently that had a good chunk of gameplay and the combat looked very repetitive... but I'll be picking it up when it drops in price also.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

I never finished the 360 version because I assumed the PS3 version would get released in English, so if this ends up being the PS3 version I get to pretend I was right all these years.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY

I never finished the 360 version because I assumed the PS3 version would get released in English, so if this ends up being the PS3 version I get to pretend I was right all these years.

Literally most of the way through a replay of the XBox version right now. Oh well, its good enough I suppose I won't mind another replay with extra content in a couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad