Sons of Former players in upcomming drafts

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelholtz

Aug 16, 2003
i was wondering if there are any other prospect comming in the next few drafts that have relations to former nhl players...i think i heard dave gagner's son, mike foligno's so, and boom boom geofrions grandson are a few. are there any others?

MomentsofSanity

Sep 20, 2005
London, ON
kelholtz said:
i was wondering if there are any other prospect comming in the next few drafts that have relations to former nhl players...i think i heard dave gagner's son, mike foligno's so, and boom boom geofrions grandson are a few. are there any others?

Sam Gagner, Dave's son, should go rather highly if he continues to develop at the rate he has been. He took the NCAA route after daddy made it clear he wouldn't play in the OHL (was touted as a top 3 this draft year). Hopefully that choice doesn't hinder him in any way.

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
Brent Sutters son Brandon in 2007. He has a strong season as a 16 year old in the WHL and was an assistant captain for Team Pacific (4 goals - 2 assists) at the U17 WC this year.

Last edited:

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
What's the word on Lyon Messier?

Round projection?

Anybody who has grown up with Mark should definitely have some heavy NHL potential.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Sam Gagne (USHL)= Dave Gagnes son
Logan MacMillan (Mooseheads)= Bob MacMillans Son
Brad Malone (Prep School, Cushing)= Greg Malones som
Blake Geoffrion (USA U18)= Boom Booms grand son
Nick Foligno (Sudbury)= Mike Folignos son
Brandon Sutter (WHL..can;t remeber team for some reason)= Brent Sutters son
Jonathan Roy (Quebec Midget AAA)= Patricks Roys son
Daniel Smith (Mooseheads)= Bobby Smiths son

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
GregStack said:
What's the word on Lyon Messier?

Round projection?

Anybody who has grown up with Mark should definitely have some heavy NHL potential.

7th round if anything. Not a skilled player at all and most likely will not even come close to getting drafted. The only reason he will be drafted at all is due to his last name.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Doomsday Device said:
On the US Under-17 team there are a few NHLers sons. There's Justin Vaive (son of Rick), Colin Wilson (son of Carey), and Phil McRae (son of Basil).

Both Vaive and McRae should be spectacular prospects.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
I'm praying the Leafs take Vaive strictly because of his name. (obviously in his projected round) The Leafs should do as much as possible to get the son of their former Captain as a prospect.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
Leaf Lander said:
how is vaives son american?

rick vaive works for maple leafs isn't he in Canada?

I don't know for sure on this situation, but Vaive played for some American based teams (Chi and Buf). If his son was born in the U.S. when he was playing for Americans teams, then it's not unusual for the kid to be an American Citizen. Also, perhaps his wife is American.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
GregStack said:
I'm praying the Leafs take Vaive strictly because of his name. (obviously in his projected round) The Leafs should do as much as possible to get the son of their former Captain as a prospect.

Vaive is horrible. I hope the Leaf's dont waist their draft pick on him. We're trying to re-build, not draft former players kids.

While we're at it lets draft Belfour's kid too, I hear he's pretty bad. Should fit in fine with the Leafs.

Theres an '89 named Hackett too, maybe we should draft him 1st round? :biglaugh:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
FYI, it's incoming and coming, not incomming and comming. I don't mean to be a spelling nazi, but people will never learn if they're never corrected.

Leaf Lander said:
how is vaives son american?

rick vaive works for maple leafs isn't he in Canada?

Well, I don't think playing for the NDTP makes him "American." It's just the route he's chosen to further his hockey career. I believe Colin Wilson is also in the same boat as Vaive. It's kind of like of the Brady Murray situation where he played for Team Western at the Under 17's and appeared at the summer development camp but also played for the US at the World Juniors. He played for whatever teams benefited him the most.

Edit:
Perhaps I've overcomplicated things and you're just wondering where they were born. In that case, Justin Vaive was born if Buffalo while his dad was playing for the Sabres, Colin Wilson was born near Hartford while his dad was playing for the Whalers, and Phil Mcrae's hometown is listed at Chesterfield, Missouri but he was probably born in Minnesota.

Last edited:

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Metallian said:
Vaive is horrible. I hope the Leaf's dont waist their draft pick on him. We're trying to re-build, not draft former players kids.

While we're at it lets draft Belfour's kid too, I hear he's pretty bad. Should fit in fine with the Leafs.

Theres an '89 named Hackett too, maybe we should draft him 1st round? :biglaugh:

I suggested we do it in the round warranted, which means DON'T take him too early. If he's slated for the 7th round, we take him in the 7th round.

Rebuilding and taking former players sons can be the same thing.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
scoutman1 said:
Sam Gagne (USHL)= Dave Gagnes son
Logan MacMillan (Mooseheads)= Bob MacMillans Son
Brad Malone (Prep School, Cushing)= Greg Malones som
Blake Geoffrion (USA U18)= Boom Booms grand son
Nick Foligno (Sudbury)= Mike Folignos son
Brandon Sutter (WHL..can;t remeber team for some reason)= Brent Sutters son
Jonathan Roy (Quebec Midget AAA)= Patricks Roys son
Daniel Smith (Mooseheads)= Bobby Smiths son