Confirmed with Link: Sonny Milano Extension (2 years, $1.7M AAV)

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Cogs and even Shore are much better at their role - bottom 6 forwards, than Milano is at his role - top 6 forward. And surely Milano is a poorer bottom 6 player of the three.

As we lack offense, we are in a position to give Milano a chance in top 6 to see if he can improve, he can not get this role on a good team. That's why we are in a situation like this.
I'm gonna assume you haven't watched any stars game

Reactions: duckpuck

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I admit - I have not. Somehow hard to believe that Cogs is not useful in that role, but yeah - I'm not one to judge it right now.
He's decent on the PK, but at even strength he is a complete black hole. In other words, he's fine in his own zone, but everywhere else, he is pretty useless.

Last edited:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
He's decent on the PK, but at even strength he is a complete black hole. In other words, he's fine in his own zone, but everywhere else, he is pretty useless.

That's really all you want from a fourth liner though, to be trustworthy defensively and a decent PK option. He's obviously overpayed for what he brings offensively at the moment, though.

Either way, Kalv has a point. Milano was good in the little time he was here last season, but he has still to establish himself as a top six forward. On this team he won't have any troubles landing that role of course, but that's not saying much.

But can't complain about the contract. Good deal for Anaheim.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I feel like people put way too much stock in a 'bottom 6' vs. 'top 6' player role. There are a ton of examples in today's game where there are 3rd liners, who get 3rd line minutes, and are there for their offensive abilities and not their defensive ones.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
I feel like people put way too much stock in a 'bottom 6' vs. 'top 6' player role. There are a ton of examples in today's game where there are 3rd liners, who get 3rd line minutes, and are there for their offensive abilities and not their defensive ones.
Agreed. As teams move more toward being able to roll 4 lines with each being effective or threatening, the hierarchical distinctions between the "line numbers" get very blurred. The "3rd line" isn't just the checking line anymore, just as having Malkin on a different line from Crosby doesn't make him any less elite.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I thought Milano showed promise. He may be inconsistent, but he clearly adds top end skill that is lacking in the organization. And if he doesn't pan out. he's expansion eligible or can help in the AHL for a year.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Agreed. As teams move more toward being able to roll 4 lines with each being effective or threatening, the hierarchical distinctions between the "line numbers" get very blurred. The "3rd line" isn't just the checking line anymore, just as having Malkin on a different line from Crosby doesn't make him any less elite.
I agree, but it also doesn't diminish the need for checking line type players. I think they are just more spread out in the lineup. A lot of star players are elite because they can do both. Bergeron, ROR, Barkov, Stone. As players have gotten better at the 2 way game the roles have been blurred.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I've never pegged the 3rd line as solely a checking role. Our two kids-and-a-goat line (Thomas-Pahlsson-Chistov) and rookie set of Penner-Getz-Pears has broken me from thinking the 3rd line is strictly a defensive checking line. Granted, the Shutdown line was that checking line (Moen-Pahlsson-Robby Nieds). The third line has always been an amorphous line that's dependent on the team's talent depth.

With our situation, I think our top-9 forwards are interchangeable. We truly don't have a top line, but we have a top line in name. We're just a bunch of 2nd liners for the top-3 lines. We know Getz is the man, but he also isn't the same man as he used to be.

We do have a dedicated 4th line for checking and enforcement. That's a GM Murray thing. Just like Murray likes an offensive and a defensive pairing on the blue line. The known roles makes it easier to their jobs, which is why Gudz was able to revive his game once traded here. I can't speak about other team's 4th line, though.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m ok with this. A low risk contract. Kinda a show me what you can do contract. Maybe Milano finds his next gear in Anaheim.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I’m ok with this. A low risk contract. Kinda a show me what you can do contract. Maybe Milano finds his next gear in Anaheim.

How many more chances does a former 1st rounder have left if he doesn't perform? That should be the motivating factor for Milano if he wants to stay at the NHL level. It's all up to Milano to turn on that switch a la Wild Bill.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How many more chances does a former 1st rounder have left if he doesn't perform? That should be the motivating factor for Milano if he wants to stay at the NHL level. It's all up to Milano to turn on that switch a la Wild Bill.

Well, Anaheim would technically be his 2nd chance. Sometimes change of scenery really helps. Some players take two teams, some three, and some never find their way.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
Yo guys. CBJ season ticket holder here, so I know a thing or two about milano's game.

I haven't watched any Ducks games this season (admittedly) but saw that Sonny has played in 2 games for y'all. 0 points so far. I've noticed it says he's on IR for an UBI. Anything in specific? Thoughts on his play so far for your organization?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad