Rumor: Sonny Milano available for a respectable draft pick, not expecting a 1st-rounder

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
NYR offer a seventh round pick in 2020. And if you think that's not a good offer, you clearly don't know how highly this organization values seventh round picks. This team loves them some seventh rounders the way Gollum loves his precious.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Don't feel like he got a fair shake this year in Columbus. Definitely can see him thriving elsewhere with coach who can accept the good with the bad. He's got growing pains in terms of playing defense but offensively he has a pretty good IQ, hands, shot.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Don't feel like he got a fair shake this year in Columbus. Definitely can see him thriving elsewhere with coach who can accept the good with the bad. He's got growing pains in terms of playing defense but offensively he has a pretty good IQ, hands, shot.

He would prob fit well on a line with AA in Detroit

Reactions: lilfedor

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
It's a good thing we didn't give up our mid-1st rounder in 2014. Can't imagine what the state of the franchise would be like 5 years later!

Yeah, and Dylan Larkin went right before at 15. And wouldn’t it have been a shame to draft the likes of Barzal or Connor. Oh wait, they went 16 and 17 the following year.

Not every pick is gonna hit but this is redicilous. The majority of top line players are found in the first round. They are extremely valuable to an organization and the best time tested method to build a LONG TERM contender. Short cutting the process rarely works, unless you’re content with a series win here or there which I am not.

As for Milano — at this point I would love to get a 2nd out of him.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Yeah, and Dylan Larkin went right before at 15. And wouldn’t it have been a shame to draft the likes of Barzal or Connor. Oh wait, they went 16 and 17 the following year.

Not every pick is gonna hit but this is redicilous. The majority of top line players are found in the first round. They are extremely valuable to an organization and the best time tested method to build a LONG TERM contender. Short cutting the process rarely works, unless you’re content with a series win here or there which I am not.

As for Milano — at this point I would love to get a 2nd out of him.
I am not saying there isn't talent available. I am saying the odds of landing that talent are quite low. Everyone focuses on the hits but the ignore the almost 3:1 ratio of misses.

And in point of fact a team CAN afford to not hit on mid-late 1st round picks and still be fine. Case in point: The Blue Jackets.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
NYR offer a seventh round pick in 2020. And if you think that's not a good offer, you clearly don't know how highly this organization values seventh round picks. This team loves them some seventh rounders the way Gollum loves his precious.
We couldn't bear to take away something that's obviously so important to you guys. We wouldn't be able to appreciate it the way y'all do, and that's just not right. So we'll settle for that Calgary 2nd in 2019 y'all have. :nod: ;)

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
We couldn't bear to take away something that's obviously so important to you guys. We wouldn't be able to appreciate it the way y'all do, and that's just not right. So we'll settle for that Calgary 2nd in 2019 y'all have. :nod: ;)
Islanders have Calgarys second, not the Rangers. For a second you had me thinking we traded Hayes to the Flames.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I am not saying there isn't talent available. I am saying the odds of landing that talent are quite low. Everyone focuses on the hits but the ignore the almost 3:1 ratio of misses.

And in point of fact a team CAN afford to not hit on mid-late 1st round picks and still be fine. Case in point: The Blue Jackets.

Now you’re changing your point on the fly. You were cherry picking Milano as an example of why firsts are expendable. I’m cherry picking examples of why they aren’t.

Elite talent is always hard to find — even harder to trade for or in the rare case an elite UFA becomes available (Tavares) — even harder to sign. Which is why the majority of top line players are acquired in the first round — it’s still hard as you have to scout well and you have to develop well — but it’s the proven recipe for long term success in this league.

Now if you were to criticize the drafting and development of Milano versus the actual value of a first round pick — that I could understand.

And 3:1 ratio of misses in the first round? Please show me where you’re getting these numbers.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Now you’re changing your point on the fly. You were cherry picking Milano as an example of why firsts are expendable. I’m cherry picking examples of why they aren’t.

Elite talent is always hard to find — even harder to trade for or in the rare case an elite UFA becomes available (Tavares) — even harder to sign. Which is why the majority of top line players are acquired in the first round — it’s still hard as you have to scout well and you have to develop well — but it’s the proven recipe for long term success in this league.

Now if you were to criticize the drafting and development of Milano versus the actual value of a first round pick — that I could understand.

And 3:1 ratio of misses in the first round? Please show me where you’re getting these numbers.
https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-nhl-draft-pick-value-1.786131

When you get to the middle of the 1st, the pick seems to have about a 20-30% chance of becoming a top-6 forward or top-4 defenseman. Statistically, you are most likely to get a fringe NHL player.

Since Milano has already played about 60 NHL games, I don't think it is a stretch he will eventually get 100. That makes him par for the course with where he was selected.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
he loses waiver exemption after this season and would be waiver fodder at that point. 3rd round pick maybe. 2nd feels too risky for him.
That sounds about right. Milano has speed and can find the net, often using his backhand. In a tempo system and a coach who is less enamored with physical players, he MAY be a 20 goal player for you. Some might say that's less than a 50/50 shot, but so are the chances of a 3rd round forward pick scoring 20 goals.....actually more like less than 10%. So to me it'd be a good play.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If he has concussion issues now too, then I wouldn't expect a 2nd either. I'd take a gamble on him as an Oilers fan, but not for the type of pick that it would take for Columbus to move him I expect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad