Music: Songs on the Periodic Table

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Most of the songs I post are songs that I listen to or intend to include in my listening libraries.
If you say so but I can't imagine anyone with a play list that has 20 songs with days of the week in title. I only post song I grew listening to or know of. That's what makes it interesting. Sure, there are people who listen to music off the beaten path which is cool, helps others discover new music but when there is a theme to the thread and you post song after song it makes those song less interesting.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
If you say so but I can't imagine anyone with a play list that has 20 songs with days of the week in title.

I think the point is that it is actually more common than we thought. But not enough that we can come up with a thousand songs in three months. That thread is only a couple hundred songs deep after how many months it has been around. I have all intentions of leaving the threads to die after they hit 1,000 songs.

I only post song I grew listening to or know of. That's what makes it interesting. Sure, there are people who listen to music off the beaten path which is cool, helps others discover new music but when there is a theme to the thread and you post song after song it makes those song less interesting.

Participation might be low which may be their problem. Songs I post have days between them for others to post. Some days I find a handful and then post them. And then take a break.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If everything has to be about superlatives, then that would be lame. Sometimes, you don't need to spend your time trying to discriminate what is the best, the greatest, or what not. That ought not what art should be limited to. Sometimes it is about discovery, to wonder and think about how certain subjects can be talked about. It is why I link to songs in other languages: to push the envelope on what the subject matter is about. There are some universals yes, and in that opportunity you learn about new styles or what not. It is why I link to instrumentals, as artists try to establish their style against concepts we know of.

Numbers and letters are likely not to be explored as they are words to describe procedures for which they have been defined and punctuated, and require a syneasthetic arbitrariness to import their meaning.
I don't even necessarily mean specifically superlatives (although that's what I personally prefer and mentioned). What I mean is, I would get it more if it was at least somewhat qualified by what people find worthwhile and noteworthy, which doesn't seem to be a part of the criteria at all (even implied). Instead, it's just "list what exists, as long as it includes some arbitrary random characteristics" (not even necessarily songs that effectively communicate the spirit of the subject, really-- which again, I would get a bit more). Personally, I don't get the merit of that and that explanation seems a bit flimsy to me. It seems more like it's primarily just a time-waster exercise/game.... which... I suppose is fine-- to each their own and everything, but just wanted to express that I couldn't help but think that the idea seemed kinda dumb to me.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't even necessarily mean specifically superlatives (although that's what I personally prefer and mentioned). What I mean is, I would get it more if it was at least somewhat qualified by what people find worthwhile and noteworthy, which doesn't seem to be a part of the criteria at all (even implied). Instead, it's just "list what exists, as long as it includes some arbitrary random characteristics" (not even necessarily songs that effectively communicate the spirit of the subject, really-- which again, I would get a bit more). Personally, I don't get the merit of that and that explanation seems a bit flimsy to me. It seems more like it's primarily just a time-waster exercise/game.... which... I suppose is fine-- to each their own and everything, but just wanted to express that I couldn't help but think that the idea seemed kinda dumb to me.

You must be a lot of fun to have around at parties.

Reactions: plank

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011

What are you, the thread critic? :laugh:

If you must know, the purpose of these threads isn't what you think. It's really an elaborate attempt to bump the Favourite Simpsons Moments thread off the first page. They hate when that happens. It's hilarious!

Not so dumb now, huh?

Now if you'll excuse me...

Reactions: peate and plank

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad