(Son of) Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Round 2, Vote 1

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I found this interesting post in the pile over on the predecessor thread-- and I struggled for an answer. Lemieux's more talented than Béliveau, and has a longevity argument over Orr- and (for those have have Orr in a win-or-place position), it's not enough. If you mated Lemieux's talent to Béliveau's longevity, maybe you get there- but I'm still not so sure. If a 650+ point scoring advantage over Orr after age 26 isn't enough to even put the matter into some realm of consideration, how much more persuasive would another 200-300-400 points be?

Naw- if you're gonna close this gap, you're gonna need more talent than Lemieux, 'cuz not even Howe's longevity makes enough of a difference in their calculus.

Good luck with that.

Point scoring advantage not really a great tool when comparing a center to a forward. Let alone a forward who played very little defensive hockey versus a defenseman that was one of the better defensive players of his time.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Alternatively, you could just answer QpQ's question. He asked "what would a player outside the Big-4 have to add to his résumé to be able to be mentioned in the same breath as Orr?" I opined that it would have to start with talent, since passionate Orr-support carries with it powerful antibodies that quarantine, isolate, surround and excrete longevity-arguments. If the SuperBug of longevity-argument cases, Gordie Howe, doesn't get past that defense-mechanism, nothing will.

I said that if you mated Lemieux talent to Béliveau longevity, it wouldn't be enough. Agree? Or no?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
A few points that need addressing.

1959 playoffs. Dickie Moore did not play center. He played mainly on a line with Henri Richard and Bonin. Once Beliveau was hurt the Canadiens relied on Richard, Backstrom, Goyette plus Don Marshall at center with call-up Ken Mosdell getting a couple of games.

1961-62 and 1962-63 Jean Beliveau. 1961 training camp knee injury caused him to miss the first 25+ games. Fortunately an operation was not required but the knee was weak for about a year and a half. Normal full rehab and recovery time from the era. Please stop the concussion speculation.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
I didn't get a chance to add to my Bobby Orr ice time post (and I'll try to add a home game, I really thought the RS game was a home game until I had already started and saw it was not...and by that point, I said, "F it...I already downloaded it and started it")

The 1970 game was the earliest full game I've seen of Orr and, boys, it goes without saying...but "whoa"...wow...I'll take that player over any player I've ever seen. If he kept that up, what he was doing in 1970 up for even a 12 year career, I think he's my #1 ever. I don't think 1974 Orr (which I've seen several times) is the same player...even though the numbers might be better points-wise or whatever, I don't think he's even on the same tier as 1970 Orr.

To put some questions to bed, "how good was he defensively?" Well, he's always well positioned, in the beginning and late part of his career...super-smart and he is probably revolutionary in a sense that he doesn't get credit for, he plays "modern" defense 40 years before anyone else was. He didn't get pushed back with the attack against, he fronted it, he jumped pucks and routes and then started the rush in transition...then because he was so fast, he led the rush in transition...I've seen defensemen carry the puck before him...Harvey did it, Shore did it...hell, even Tim Horton did it across two lines....I've seen that...not that Orr wasn't better at it or that it wasn't impressive, but that's not where the laurels should lie on "revolutionary"...he created so many turnovers by playing the game on his toes instead of his heels...

Modern defensemen that don't defend a lot but are rocks defensively, like Drew Doughty, they play like this...I've seen Doughty since he was in junior (where after one shift, I said, "I just saw the next Ray Bourque"), I've never seen Doughty stuck in his own zone for 30 consecutive seconds under pressure...too smart, too aggressive, too competitive and too good to let that happen...that's Orr, except the gap between him and the next guy is insane...that's what he was first to do.

People give Erik Karlsson a hard time because they haven't watched his maturity as a player over the last few years and seen that he's evolved defensively and is much better than his younger days, he still gets that "main board reputation" as being garbage at it and it's just not true...the best modern analogy I can give to what Orr was in his early days to now is, here are the d-men in the league...

1. Karlsson
2. Gostisbehere
3. Vlasic
the rest...

Like, that's what that gap feels like...there's one other really offensive guy in the league, but not near the level that he is...and one other guy that can lock stuff down but doesn't have the talent to do more with the puck...and then the bell curve really starts to open up and you get "all the other guys"...so get your list of the top 30 d-men today in your head...take out all of them, leave Karlsson (as Orr) and then Ghost and Pickles, and there's no one else...that's what it looks like...

The guy in 1974 is a wagon, don't get me wrong...but he's not all over you like young Orr was...Orr was the lone spotlight...I know Espo is there in 1970 but - and conversely - he's not nearly the same guy that you see even two years later in 1972 Summit Series...I think Espo shoots up like a weed from a skills point of view as he hits the meat of his career...early on, Orr was bringing him along for the ride a little it seems before Espo upped his level and injuries deterred Orr...

Give me 12ish years of 1970 Bobby Orr and I give you the best player in the history of the game. Instead, I'll settle for what we got...which is the 2nd best player I've ever seen because he just couldn't do it for as long as I wish he could have...

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I said that if you mated Lemieux talent to Béliveau longevity, it wouldn't be enough. Agree? Or no?
Which gets you pretty close to Gordie Howe. Now, in terms of raw talent, I think Lemieux surpasses Howe, but Gordie Howe's career at least to me, comes very close to Bobby Orr's. They are just opposite ends of the spectrum (if the spectrum only spanned the big 4). Gordie Howe is probably the least skilled with the most longevity. Bobby Orr could be the most skilled, though it'd be close with Mario, Wayne not too far behind (but those guys are closer to the middle because it's a balance of talent and longevity).

I like visual aides, so let's see how this looks:

[LONGEVITY]--HOWE----------------------[MID-POINT]/GRETZKY----------LEMIEUX-------ORR--[TALENT]
Gretzky is probably the perfect balance of longevity and talent, hence he is #1.

Last edited:

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I realized something. I feel like I give Lemieux more credit for longevity than he really had, mainly because his career did span 20+ years, yet he didn't even play 1000 games.

Is it fair or no? He was an effective player 19, and still at 37. You could even say 40, but that was a small sample size, and that season doesn't move the needle on him at all for me. How do you view that wide range of effectiveness? Does longevity mean more how long in actual years he was able to be good, or how many games he was able to be good for?

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
I realized something. I feel like I give Lemieux more credit for longevity than he really had, mainly because his career did span 20+ years, yet he didn't even play 1000 games.

Is it fair or no? He was an effective player 19, and still at 37. You could even say 40, but that was a small sample size, and that season doesn't move the needle on him at all for me. How do you view that wide range of effectiveness? Does longevity mean more how long in actual years he was able to be good, or how many games he was able to be good for?
Lemieux was the best player in the world in 89 and you could say the samething in 2001. That’s longevity

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
He probably didn't have "longevity" per se...but he was adaptable to any era it seems like...ya know the old thing that estpudios try to do in here, "well, if you drop Clint Benedict in today's game, he would...blah blah blah blah blah..." with Mario, you could wake him out of a drunken stupor and paradrop him into any game at any time in history with any equipment and he's still going to dummy almost everyone on the ice...like, you know he's gonna score that game...whatever game. He's the #1 guy that that nonsense actually applies to haha...

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
He probably didn't have "longevity" per se...but he was adaptable to any era it seems like...ya know the old thing that estpudios try to do in here, "well, if you drop Clint Benedict in today's game, he would...blah blah blah blah blah..." with Mario, you could wake him out of a drunken stupor and paradrop him into any game at any time in history with any equipment and he's still going to dummy almost everyone on the ice...like, you know he's gonna score that game...whatever game. He's the #1 guy that that nonsense actually applies to haha...
Good points, but I am still curious about what longevity actually means. Is it more number of games, or number of years?

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
Good points, but I am still curious about what longevity actually means. Is it more number of games, or number of years?

Longevity is the combo of games and years...

Brett Favre (so I stop naming hockey players not up for vote yet...sorry...I need to make analogies or my posts aren't long enough) could play until he's 55 if he only had to play a game or two a year, and I honestly believe that...it's the grind of it that's difficult...it's the grind of the camps and practices and travel and games and playoffs...if you're just dipping your toes in the pool, you don't need a towel...with all due respect to Mario...I'm sure he could have...but he didn't...

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I know I just find it peculiar. It’s alnost as if the hockey world kinda didn’t appreciate him like they should have.
Certainly could be an example of the Hart bias against D-men. Also, as mentioned by @Mike Farkas above, he simply wasn't as dominant in all areas of the ice later into the 70's than he was in the first few years of the decade, despite still putting up gaudy numbers as a defencemen. By this point his knees were already starting to break down, no?

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Certainly could be an example of the Hart bias against D-men. Also, as mentioned by @Mike Farkas above, he simply wasn't as dominant in all areas of the ice later into the 70's than he was in the first few years of the decade, despite still putting up gaudy numbers as a defencemen. By this point his knees were already starting to break down, no?

And I wonder about vote splitting between Esposito and Orr somewhat, a couple of those third places were when Esposito was second

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Why can't we name non-eligible players? I thought the rule was about not getting caught up in a long discussion comparing an eligible player to a non-eligible one, but not that you couldn't even name him.

For example if I want to show how dominant Doug Harvey was by showing his Norris percentage win or something like that, why can't I name Red Kelly or Bill Gadsby in the table? This sounds too restrictive.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
His starts and stops and first steps in 1974 aren't close to what he could do in 1970. That's the key.

Rough equivalence: What I tell my penalty killers..."you can make a good penalty kill out of speed...but a great penalty kill is made out of starts and stops" to misquote Gary Thorne's call "Orr had it, lost it..."

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Longevity is the combo of games and years...

Brett Favre (so I stop naming hockey players not up for vote yet...sorry...I need to make analogies or my posts aren't long enough) could play until he's 55 if he only had to play a game or two a year, and I honestly believe that...it's the grind of it that's difficult...it's the grind of the camps and practices and travel and games and playoffs...if you're just dipping your toes in the pool, you don't need a towel...with all due respect to Mario...I'm sure he could have...but he didn't...
Well put. He could have, but didn't. And we can only account for what he actually did. He put together 11 seasons where he played more than half of his teams games, and was dominant as a player. He had 5-6 more seasons where he was dominant in a small sample size of games. All in all, he played 915 games, most of which he was a dominant factor, and that's worth something. And probably worth a little more than a player who player 915 dominant games across 13 years in one distinct era as opposed to 21 years across two different distinct eras.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Why can't we name non-eligible players? I thought the rule was about not getting caught up in a long discussion comparing an eligible player to a non-eligible one, but not that you couldn't even name him.

For example if I want to show how dominant Doug Harvey was by showing his Norris percentage win or something like that, why can't I name Red Kelly or Bill Gadsby in the table? This sounds too restrictive.

I think they've been pretty good about letting that happen that way.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
They voted after each half of the games, which helped.
Interesting, I had always wondered the context of the 68 season for Orr. Played barely half the games, wasn't near as dominant offensively as he would be a couple seasons later, but still wins the Norris and AS-1.

Do they split the votes for all awards at the 1/2 way mark, or just the Hart?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->