OT: Something you hate about sports leagues? (NHL, MLB, NBA, NFL, CFL)

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
PFT1nfp-wj6NqWqKVfr7IA6EfRo=.gif

I think every Oilers playoff game I've watched the puck dropped 20 min after the advertised start time.
Seriously. I purposely delay most games I watch because of this, anthems and ads. Life's too short to watch something I have no interest in. I can skip right through all intros and anthems and just get to puck drop. Then I can watch the game in about 1-1.5 hours depending how on top of the remote I am.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Its not a "hate thing" but its interesting how the CFL has decreased in significance over the years. I can remember watching some pretty good Rough Rider teams with a packed Lansdowne stadium. Rider players such as Russ Jackson, Ron Stewart, Tony Gabriel were household names and folks really payed attention and followed the league. The league just seemed much more vibrant and strong then. But the CFL just kind of faded and eroded over the years. Oh well.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
All soccer leagues: it’s the 2020s so stop the clock during injury timeouts etc and get rid of the time added on.

Pretty much this, as an avid soccer fan, I notice that most opponents of time stoppages have no rational argument against this. Adding extra time doesn't change teams from having delay tactics in the added few minutes. Its such BS

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
MLB: Too many games
NHL: Schedule should be: 4 games within the division, (28) 3 games against opposing division within the conference (24), and 24 games against opposing conference on a rotating basis for 76 game regular season.
I also think the season should finish by May 31
NBA: don't care
NFL, they need an extra bye week and should have the Super Bowl on President's Day
CFL: Move from 3 downs to 4 to cut down on punting, maybe wrap up the season by first weekend of November so players can get on NFL roster for late in the season.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Now, it's important to watch this video to understand the opinion I am giving.

When you look back over the years about questionable things that have happened in sports it may lead some people to believe the fix is in. Houston getting caught cheating, The Patriots getting caught recording teams practices, baseball steroid era, Lakers VS the Kings, Jordan retiring(betting on Basketball) Jeopardy seeming to have all of these contestants going on long winning streaks. All of these situations resulted in literally no discipline but still lots of money made. (jeopardy being a game show but it's the entertainment I'm looking at).

I once made a comment a while ago in a thread where I said sports is a business and the owners work together to make money 1st and winning comes second. Like in the NFL everything is paid for before the even snap the ball for the first game of the season because of TV contract and other sources of revenue.

I think back to 2016 NBA finals about how the reffing took a team up 3-1 and totally screwed them over by terrible reffing(Greens ejection in game 5) to allow Cleveland to comeback and win in 7 games. The big story would have been Golden State having the greatest regular season and winning back to back championships or the bigger story Lebron going back to Cleveland and winning a championship after a 50 year drought for the sports teams in the city.

I think it's an interesting argument to be made that sports gives us the illusion of fairness and pitts one team/fan against another but in reality behind the scenes its possible that leagues are run more like the WWE. As long as everyone makes money no one is going to rock the boat.

Reactions: aragorn

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Now, it's important to watch this video to understand the opinion I am giving.

When you look back over the years about questionable things that have happened in sports it may lead some people to believe the fix is in. Houston getting caught cheating, The Patriots getting caught recording teams practices, baseball steroid era, Lakers VS the Kings, Jordan retiring(betting on Basketball) Jeopardy seeming to have all of these contestants going on long winning streaks. All of these situations resulted in literally no discipline but still lots of money made. (jeopardy being a game show but it's the entertainment I'm looking at).

I once made a comment a while ago in a thread where I said sports is a business and the owners work together to make money 1st and winning comes second. Like in the NFL everything is paid for before the even snap the ball for the first game of the season because of TV contract and other sources of revenue.

I think back to 2016 NBA finals about how the reffing took a team up 3-1 and totally screwed them over by terrible reffing(Greens ejection in game 5) to allow Cleveland to comeback and win in 7 games. The big story would have been Golden State having the greatest regular season and winning back to back championships or the bigger story Lebron going back to Cleveland and winning a championship after a 50 year drought for the sports teams in the city.

I think it's an interesting argument to be made that sports gives us the illusion of fairness and pitts one team/fan against another but in reality behind the scenes its possible that leagues are run more like the WWE. As long as everyone makes money no one is going to rock the boat.

What I always wonder about theories like this is how do you get the Mark Cubans of the world to buy in the day he gets a chair at the table? Like literally, how do you explain to a new passionate owner who is bent on bringing a championship home and who also happens to be extremely powerful and intelligent, that it's all a sham?

Call me naive but it all just seems highly unlikely to me.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
What I always wonder about theories like this is how do you get the Mark Cubans of the world to buy in the day he gets a chair at the table? Like literally, how do you explain to a new passionate owner who is bent on bringing a championship home and who also happens to be extremely powerful and intelligent, that it's all a sham?

And nobody involved ever spilled the beans.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire

Agreed, all these sport conspiracies whether fixing outcomes or drafts or whatever never seem to pass the logic test.

One thing I will say that probably happens, is just subconscious human nature. Like when we turn on a neutral game and see it's 3-1 and hope that team scores another goal to make it 3-2 so it gets "interesting". I would bet that refs likely have the same subconscious bias in how they call a game. Maybe it results in more unlikely situations or comebacks happening than would otherwise be expected. Would be an interesting study for somebody qualified to do someday in my opinion.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

It's not a sham, it's a business. I'm not saying that behind the scenes they are fixing who will win the championship but they can manipulate outcomes to give bigger markets better odds. The reason the leagues are so profitable now are because of the television contracts. If you have two small markets playing for a championship that affects revenue the networks get because the ratings will be significantly down. That's not in the best interest of the broadcasters nor the league. For fans it's great because we all want a winner. If not for revenue sharing half the teams in all of the leagues would most likely not exist. If I'm a big market team they make a lot of money on their own but by supporting a bigger league they make more and reach a bigger audience and greater tv revenue.

Last night I was watching the Warriors vs the Celtics game 2 and there was an indecent with Draymond Green. The announcers were saying it could potentially be a double technical foul on both players and because Draymond already had one it would result in him getting ejected because it would be his second. Steve Javie who is a retired referee is on the broadcast to give his opinion on what the calls should be was asked would a ref take into account that draymond already had one technical foul and would that effect how the refs would dish out fouls and he said yes. Turns out he was right and he wasn't given a tech. This shows how refs have the ability to have an effect on the outcomes of games. Same with the 2016 finals when Draymond was ejected for a nothing call but because it was on Lebron it was justified. That ejection had a huge effect on that series because the Warriors were in the drivers seat and then all of a sudden the following games were just terribly reffed to the point the Cavs came back and won. The better story won, the Cleveland gets their first championship in 50 years and now there is a rivalry with Golden State instead of GS winning back to back championships and finishing with the greatest regular season in history.

Some owners love sports but I think most of them only see dollar signs. If a team spends to their cap and don't win what else can they do? Baseball and to an extent basketball its like the cap is a suggestion because the rich teams can still do what they want but at the end of the day in most leagues it's rare for a non big market team to be consistently great.

Think about it, all of these teams make money, some more than others, but they are all working together. The benefit to winning a championship is greater revenue for a few seasons. No one is privy to the owners meetings but I don't think it's a room full of guys looking at it like I'm trying to beat you, it's more how can we make more money, It's like the saying Sports teams are toys for billionaires. GM's are trying to win, coaches are trying to win, players are trying to win, but owners are businessmen first and are looking to maximize profits.

TV is theatre, reality shows are scripted, the news is edited to get the desired result, Saturday morning cartoons were used to promote products to kids by making 22 minute commercials.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
What i remember from my time as a house league referee was that a lot of calls were really 50/50. Did he trip him, or did the guy step on his stick? Did the contact really cause him to fall or was it incidental? A lot of these calls are really close. And when a team was down 4-3 late, and they take one of those 50/50 calls, could go either way, for sure im thinking where we are in the game and if i really want to make a ticky tack call this late in the game. Maybe early when i want to set a tone i would have called it, but not late. You can call that managing the game, but i think most players want the game managed that way.

And of course if there are 10 50/50 calls, 5 for each team, the fans of each teams will think the other team got away with 5 calls. :)

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
What i remember from my time as a house league referee was that a lot of calls were really 50/50. Did he trip him, or did the guy step on his stick? Did the contact really cause him to fall or was it incidental? A lot of these calls are really close. And when a team was down 4-3 late, and they take one of those 50/50 calls, could go either way, for sure im thinking where we are in the game and if i really want to make a ticky tack call this late in the game. Maybe early when i want to set a tone i would have called it, but not late. You can call that managing the game, but i think most players want the game managed that way.

And of course if there are 10 50/50 calls, 5 for each team, the fans of each teams will think the other team got away with 5 calls. :)
We hear it all the time, "make up calls", are those legit? House league vs national Sports league have much different stakes. One is for bragging rights the other for tens if not hundreds of million of dollars.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
That's a fair point, coaches will always find a way to optimize within the system. But one of the premises for doing it is to force players to entertain us better at the ending by not having them play for the point. And i guess there will be times where that will determine actions, maybe making a desperate team pull their goalie when they are tied or something. But a lot of the time these attempts just dont seem to create the perfection of a system they sell it as.

A win is two points. Having some wins 2 pts and others 3 pts seems even weirder to me than the shootout winner point which i have now become ok with for regular season games.

I don't like the current point system.

I would prefer to end games in regulation time and award 2 points to the winner and 1 point each if teams tie.

If not that then change to 3 points for a win and award 2 points for an OT or SO win with 1 point for the loser.

Reactions: DrEasy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Watching the NBA there are so many infractions that are just not called, carrying the ball, travel & all kinds of fouls.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
NFL - fair catch rule, let them catch it & run.
I've always liked kick returns and would totally be in favour of something like this, but only if they brought in the same no-yards type rule as the CFL has. Otherwise, that's just concussion after concussion waiting to happen as guys get a running start to blow up the returner.

Reactions: aragorn

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I don't like the current point system.

I would prefer to end games in regulation time and award 2 points to the winner and 1 point each if teams tie.

If not that then change to 3 points for a win and award 2 points for an OT or SO win with 1 point for the loser.
3 points would make it impossible to catch anyone. 2 points for a win. penalize teams for going to the shootout. shouldnt get a point for not winning.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
"Impossible" is going a tad too far. :)
At what point does a fan base look at the standings and say "well my team has no chance to win, let me spend my time on something else" come into play? Adding an extra point would be like adding 30 more games to the regular season. Just look at baseball for an example. 162 games, by game 60 you know who doesn't have a chance, in Hockey it's usually by Allstar break when 2/3 of the season is done.. Sports leagues don't want such a discrepancy from top to bottom to keep fans engaged. I don't think all kids should get trophies just like I don't think all teams should get points for not winning. You shouldnt be rewarded for not losing.

I think it's far more simpler having 2 points for a win in regulation and over time and 1 point for for a win in the shootout. Fans want a winnier and they want 100% effort. Giving teams the opportunity to get a point on a tie allows team to coast at the end to make sure they get that consolation point. If they knew they get nothing they are going to keep working until the end of the game. Tied with 5 minutes left and both teams need points why not wait until overtime and try to get another. Teams who need points will never want to go to overtime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad