Something needs to be fixed....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beans

Aug 15, 2004
When a player becomes an owner of a team because the team cant afford to pay the player (Lemieux), I would say its time to fix something in this league. And didn't the players follow Eagleson all the way to palooka ville :( ? Now they follow Goodenow. What goes around comes around. I for one am with the owners on this one. Just my pucks worth on the best game in the world. ;)

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Beans said:
When a player becomes an owner of a team because the team cant afford to pay the player (Lemieux),

the problem in PIT is all their own doing. Back in the 1990's they were the most popular team on the entire planet. They also had arguably the worlds 2 best players in their prime. AND they werent even using CASH to pay their players, they were using "future promises" (the reason Mario was owed so much money).

The owner decided to pocket every bit of cash that he was able to generate from that dynamic (which is his right of course). However, other teams like VAN, for example, used every bit of leverage they had to privatly finance a state of the art arena.

VAN would be in the same situation as PIT today if not for GM Place. PIT missed the ball and instead pocketed the coin. So be it, but dont cry for them. If this lockout is to save PIT, then we should even be more incensed at the owners, PIT doesnt deserve to be saved and neither does EDM. Peter Pocklington put over 20m in his pocket just by trading the core of the dynasty. Again, his right to pocket the money, but other owners, like Mike Ilitch. reinvested it in his club and look at the difference now between DET and EDM.

Dont tell me, as good a market as DET is, that EDM with all the Canadiana and Oil Money cant support an NHL team near the level DET can. EDM is in the heartland of Canada. Maybe Alberta shouldnt have two teams then ?

DR

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Beans said:
When a player becomes an owner of a team because the team cant afford to pay the player (Lemieux), I would say its time to fix something in this league. And didn't the players follow Eagleson all the way to palooka ville :( ? Now they follow Goodenow. What goes around comes around. I for one am with the owners on this one. Just my pucks worth on the best game in the world. ;)
howard baldwin went bankrupt - i bet in retrospect mario wishes he buggered off right then and there - 33 mil or not -

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
DementedReality said:
Dont tell me, as good a market as DET is, that EDM with all the Canadiana and Oil Money cant support an NHL team near the level DET can. EDM is in the heartland of Canada. Maybe Alberta shouldnt have two teams then ?

DR

Are you trying to compare Detroit to Edmonton?!

Maybe you should first look at the populations before attempting to compare. Edmonton has less than 900k population. There are no other 'cities' nearby in the vicinity of Edmonton except for Calgary but thats a 3 hour drive. No one drives 3 hours for a hockey game.

Besides Edmonton has an average attendance of over 17000. They have installed taxes against players playing in Alberta. They have installed a hockey lottery for Albertans. They have increased ticket prices as much as possible to still sellout their games. What more can Edmonton do??

The other thing neglected when you compare Detroit (an american city) to Edmonton (a Canadian city) is the difference in government and economy. Edmonton's corporate sector is sparse. Government support is virtually nothing. There are no tax breaks that many US teams enjoy. There is also a Canadian dollar that is essentially forcing Edmontonians to pay ticket prices roughly equivalent to other 'large' market american cities yet due to the dollar they 'lose' about 8 million for team payroll.

I was born and raised in Calgary. Defending Edmonton is something I dont do. But in this case you are wrong.

Oh yea.. oil money...... what do you mean by oil money?? you mean the laborers who operate the oil rigs?! they aren't millionares

Brent Burns Beard