Something I don't get

Status
Not open for further replies.

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
If 99% of NHL players gave 100% effort every night, wouldn't we see "playoff hockey" every night during the regular season........just a thought..........

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
handtrick said:
If 99% of NHL players gave 100% effort every night, wouldn't we see "playoff hockey" every night during the regular season........just a thought..........

Nope. Different type of hockey. Players would be dead by Christmas.

A Good Flying Bird*

John Flyers Fan said:
Any time a thread or a post comes up and the idea of replacement players or scabs is brought it's always immediately followed by the following quotes:

"I'd love to watch the scabs/replacements .. it would be nice to see players that are playing for the love of the game, players that really care."

"I can't wait to see players play with some heart again."

"I'll be happy to pay to see these new guys bust their asses."

====================================================

Better still ... if you want to watch these scrubs so much, you can do so in the local beer leagues.
The old double standard is at work.

You won't go watch AHL or ECHL games, or even the semi-pro teams because they just aren't talented enough.
But people want to see these guys playing in a Habs or Wings jersey?
Please.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Newsguyone said:
Better still ... if you want to watch these scrubs so much, you can do so in the local beer leagues.
The old double standard is at work.

You won't go watch AHL or ECHL games, or even the semi-pro teams because they just aren't talented enough.
But people want to see these guys playing in a Habs or Wings jersey?
Please.
I watch college hockey.

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
"How dare Joe Sakic get $8 million per year or Derek Jeter $17 million per year.

Yet the same people seem to find it perfectly normal that Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks, or Jim Carey make $20 million per movie ... or Mick Jagger and Bruce Springsteen can make $40 million per record tour."

I agree with alot of what John Flyers Fan says. And I don't think Jim Carey should get 20 million a movie!

I trully belived that a salary cap is the solution, not just in hockey but everywhere. Actualy I think its very ironic all my life I been mad about the fact that 80% of the economy is controled by 20% of the population (in Canada, im not a economist). Now this same very rich owner (which alot or most are part of that 20%) find it inexeptable that 75% of all the money goes the one place (players salarie) and it only let them have 25%, pretty much the same probleme that they create!

So im with the owners for now because there right, but I belived they should have a salary cap agains them. They would used the same arguments the players do now. That what I find ironic. This is all my personal opinion, im not saying its ever going to happen, but truly belived it the only solution!

EJsens1

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
Nope. Different type of hockey. Players would be dead by Christmas.

Yeah as in players step-up their play from one period to another. Players skate harder, hit harder, drive the net harder, take your pick if you feel like you want to add some more. The fact that you say its a different type of hockey suggests there are different efforts given, whether it is more or less, adding to the fact that teams utilize different styles in order to win games. If you don't think players step up their level of play in the playoffs than in the regular season you are kidding yourself or are in denial.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Craven Morehead said:
Yeah as in players step-up their play from one period to another. Players skate harder, hit harder, drive the net harder, take your pick if you feel like you want to add some more. The fact that you say its a different type of hockey suggests there are different efforts given, whether it is more or less, adding to the fact that teams utilize different styles in order to win games. If you don't think players step up their level of play in the playoffs than in the regular season you are kidding yourself or are in denial.

The playoff are a more physical game and also usually more cautious and defensive no doubt about it.

Different doesn't mean more effort.

During the 80's the Oilers hardly gave a damn about defense until the playoffs, hust because they tried to win 6-5 in the regular season and then 4-2 in the playoffs it doesn't mean they were working any harder.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
We know the billionaires give 100% effort every day of the year ensuring fans are taken care of. They certainly dont deserve the same scrutiny.

YellHockey*

thinkwild said:
Thats fair. If there is a salary cap, there should be a profit cap, and a ticket price cap.

And a cap on the owners earnings. None of the owners should make more then $5-8M a year tops. What do they do that is so demanding that should need more money then that? Anything they make over that should go towards hiring more teachers, police, and firefighters.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
BlackRedGold said:
And a cap on the owners earnings. None of the owners should make more then $5-8M a year tops. What do they do that is so demanding that should need more money then that? Anything they make over that should go towards hiring more teachers, police, and firefighters.

But the owners take all the risk, putting the money up for the team, arena, utilitites, advertising, etc, etc.

Its like any other business. The waiter serving you breakfast won't make the same money as the owner, who has franchise, utility, leasing, accounting, supply, and other costs to worry about.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
chara said:
But the owners take all the risk, putting the money up for the team, arena, utilitites, advertising, etc, etc.

Not all of it. You (perhaps, depending on where you are) and I, in the form of local government, give those owners nice interest-free loans and tax breaks to get those arenas built. Maybe we should get a little chunk of the pie, too. :)

YellHockey*

chara said:

Ask Bill Masterton if the owners take all the risk. Or maybe you could ask Bryan Berard or Brett Lindros or Pat Lafontaine or countless others who have risked and sacrificed their bodies on the ice.

Or do you think that money is more important then a person's health?

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
My problem isn't with the high salaries, it's when they adopt the attitude that it's their birth right. A player doesn't need 12 M, a pair of sneakers shouldn't cost $100, tickets shouldn't cost what they do, and if Nike slashed Tiger's fees in half, all could live well. Too many problems to fix at once though.

YellHockey*

PecaFan said:
Players are insured for health, and get paid if they can no longer play because of injury.

Owners can't buy "bankruptcy insurance".

So you're saying that having money after being permanently injured is better then being healthy but poor?

How much money would have been enough to compensate Masterton when he was unable to play?

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
mcphee said:
My problem isn't with the high salaries, it's when they adopt the attitude that it's their birth right. A player doesn't need 12 M, a pair of sneakers shouldn't cost $100, tickets shouldn't cost what they do, and if Nike slashed Tiger's fees in half, all could live well. Too many problems to fix at once though.

Well sure, I can agree about the nature of our society.

But in our countries, their birthright isnt to make $12mil a year. Their birthright is the right to negotiate that value if they can. If they dont give 100%, that affects their negotiating power, not their right to negotiate. We dismiss that right pretty easily. It was fought for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->