Something big has got to give:

Bleak

Jul 8, 2009
Calgary, Alberta, CA
Okay, hear me out. We have TONS of talent on this team: Getz, Pears, Selanne, Fowler, Magnus, Vats, Beauch and Silf hell, even our coveted young guys that haven't broken the consistency barrier quite yet in Etem, Palmeiri, Holland and Sbisa. We have an incredibly bottom 6 and role players in PA, Cogs, Koivu, Bonino, Penner. Clearly our offense is top notch. Our prospects are out of this world in terms of goalies and defense... I mean, Theodore is going to be on this team eventually and he is going to be the offensive stud for our future. Gibbie is being primed to being a number 1 consistent venza potential. We have 'role players' that seem to be ideal for our system...But the huge question mark is...

Do we have it in us to pull the trigger that can alter the franchise? I mean, give either Lindholm (I hope not!) or Vatanen, Palmeiri/Etem, with another roster player, along with a 1st (or 2) to bring in a veteran-ish (all)star defense man to start winning the cup on a regular basis. I believe that is what is going to be needed to compete within the next 1-3 years. Are we going to be waiting completely on the development and roll with the punches? Do you guys believe that we are close to breaking the bubble towards being (CHI, LA, PIT, STL)? I think we have all the tools to compete this year barring one MAJOR move (IE: Overpayment to acquire our player).

I know chemistry has a lot to do with the balance of the team but I don't believe we are playing over our heads, the talent is clearly there. I'm not sure if that is why GMBM is waiting. I'm not saying that "OH **** WE ARE 7-2, THATS NOT GOOD ENOUGH", but playing against the ducks with another dynamic force on the back end would make opponents that much more frustrated.

/confused fan

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
This may not be the right time. A lot of that young talent is just taking that next step, or is on the cusp of doing so.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Okay, hear me out. We have TONS of talent on this team: Getz, Pears, Selanne, Fowler, Magnus, Vats, Beauch and Silf hell, even our coveted young guys that haven't broken the consistency barrier quite yet in Etem, Palmeiri, Holland and Sbisa. We have an incredibly bottom 6 and role players in PA, Cogs, Koivu, Bonino, Penner. Clearly our offense is top notch. Our prospects are out of this world in terms of goalies and defense... I mean, Theodore is going to be on this team eventually and he is going to be the offensive stud for our future. Gibbie is being primed to being a number 1 consistent venza potential. We have 'role players' that seem to be ideal for our system...But the huge question mark is...

Do we have it in us to pull the trigger that can alter the franchise? I mean, give either Lindholm (I hope not!) or Vatanen, Palmeiri/Etem, with another roster player, along with a 1st (or 2) to bring in a veteran-ish (all)star defense man to start winning the cup on a regular basis. I believe that is what is going to be needed to compete within the next 1-3 years. Are we going to be waiting completely on the development and roll with the punches? Do you guys believe that we are close to breaking the bubble towards being (CHI, LA, PIT, STL)? I think we have all the tools to compete this year barring one MAJOR move (IE: Overpayment to acquire our player).

I know chemistry has a lot to do with the balance of the team but I don't believe we are playing over our heads, the talent is clearly there. I'm not sure if that is why GMBM is waiting. I'm not saying that "OH **** WE ARE 7-2, THATS NOT GOOD ENOUGH", but playing against the ducks with another dynamic force on the back end would make opponents that much more frustrated.

/confused fan
Doing that would be a grave mistake.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I rather lose in the first round this year and have 4-5 amazing runs with our young players than trade them away for a chance at 1 title, but I am very high on our prospects as well as emotionally connect (this borderline sounds gay but seriously) I want to see them develop and stay with the team.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
A huge part of the team may be gone next year. They need to keep (and groom) talent with that in mind. If they are in position to make a deep run in the playoffs there may be a move at the deadline, but it's far too early to be burning chips. Besides - other teams aren't trading players yet.

Bleak

Jul 8, 2009
Calgary, Alberta, CA
I hear you guys. This team is just being primed for HUGE consistency throughout the organization. If we do keep up with the draft strategy (which, btw, I have full confidence into doing so), we are going to accomplish steady runs that have us going deep. Other teams, like SJS for example (among a few others), are going to be declining in terms of immediate talent (Marlaeu, Thorton, Boyle) in a couple of years though they do have prospect talent, won't be able to compete with the amount of skill that we have harvested.

It's a fine line to cross between consistency and immediate results. I guess we will have to wait 2-3 years to see where we stand before we eventually have to make that decision. Say Etem, Palms, Silf, Vat, Lindholm, Sbisa and/or Holland break out, we have that many more pieces that have more value than what they are worth now but they make each other expendable...Maybe a Shea Weber or a Duncan Keith become available for the right package?

It's too early to tell but the future is bright

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I hear you guys. This team is just being primed for HUGE consistency throughout the organization. If we do keep up with the draft strategy (which, btw, I have full confidence into doing so), we are going to accomplish steady runs that have us going deep. Other teams, like SJS for example (among a few others), are going to be declining in terms of immediate talent (Marlaeu, Thorton, Boyle) in a couple of years though they do have prospect talent, won't be able to compete with the amount of skill that we have harvested.

It's a fine line to cross between consistency and immediate results. I guess we will have to wait 2-3 years to see where we stand before we eventually have to make that decision. Say Etem, Palms, Silf, Vat, Lindholm, Sbisa and/or Holland break out, we have that many more pieces that have more value than what they are worth now but they make each other expendable...Maybe a Shea Weber or a Duncan Keith become available for the right package?

It's too early to tell but the future is bright

We have Etem, Palmieri, Vatanen, Fowler, Lindholm, Theodore, Gibson, Anderson, Holland, Rakell, DSP, Maroon, Bonino, Perrault, Sbisa, Roy, Kerdiles, Karlsson, Silfverberg, Noeson, plus whoever else I am forgetting...on top of that Getzy and Perry. I will ride or die with this prospect group.

Ducksgo*

We have Etem, Palmieri, Vatanen, Fowler, Lindholm, Theodore, Gibson, Anderson, Holland, Rakell, DSP, Maroon, Bonino, Perrault, Sbisa, Roy, Kerdiles, Karlsson, Silfverberg, Noeson, plus whoever else I am forgetting...on top of that Getzy and Perry. I will ride or die with this prospect group.

Damn right. Put NWA on and I'm good with that.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
We have a lot of great young talent but the question with waiting until it pans out is when do Getzlaf and Perry regress and if they do do we have anyone with elite upside there to take their place?

Hopefully they're longevity resembles the likes of Thornton and Marleau as opposed to players like Heatley and Jokinen.

DigitalSea

Thank you Landon
Jun 13, 2011
Anaheim, CA
Let's see how we look at the deadline. I doubt it comes to that this year though. I say we are a year or two away from true contender status.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I don't think we need to replicate the Pronger trade to become successful, if that's what you're getting at.

S.S. Giggy

RIP 1974-2011
Jun 14, 2002
Getzlaf's Bald Spot
Visit site

/confused fan

Who's Magnus?

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
And don't forget we presently have two number 1 picks in this draft, and we may even have a third, if we trade Hiller or Fasth before the trade deadline. Our future is quite bright.

gratefulyours

Great 8 = T. Selanne
Nov 9, 2010
Oakland
if anderson gets a few more games and shows the same level of competitiveness, i would say fasthe is the most likely big trade chip the team has.

lot of ifs there, but it could happen...and no i don't think we should.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Trades for high end defensemen are rare, and are more about timing and opportunity than anything. No team had a better opportunity in the summer of 06, and no team has a better opportunity in the near future than us. If the opportunity presents itself, expect BM to pounce.

Ducks Ahoy

Effort = overrated
Jun 9, 2013
Orange County
Like others have said: it's going to be awhile before we make a move for a d-man. We have TONS of prospect talent which I would rather take than risk giving up some pretty good talent (ie Magnus, Sami, Etem) for a veteran dman for only a couple of years.

However, I would be fine with moving someone like Sbisa and Holland for a dman.... But I wouldn't feel comfortable with us doing that unless it's closer to the trade deadline and we know that we will for sure be contenders in the playoffs.

Right now it's all a big waiting game. The waiting sucks, but it will payoff in the long run.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
To answer the OP i think we are on the cusp of being a real big boy contender. We can play with anyone. There are just some teams I question we can play with for 7 games (if needed.) We have just as much talent as anyone in the league but there are fits that aren't there. Also there is a lot of redundancy on this roster.

I think we can trade a couple of our young guys (DSP, Vatanen/Holland) and one of our 1st round picks and get back a real serviceable player in our top 4 defense. If I'm Murray that's what I'm looking at. We better be big time buyers at the deadline if not sooner. We can't get complacent.

Professor John Frink

Apr 26, 2002
Visit site
Someone mentioned it previously as well. But the Ducks have Penner, Selanne, Koivu, Winnik, and Cogliano as UFA's going into next offseason.

While I imagine some will be resigned we clearly are losing one in Selanne and you could make the argument Koivu and Penner could be gone as well.

So that depth that we have now won't necessarily be there come next season.

Someone else mentioned it as well. If I can't trade the likes of Sbisa and Holland for a solid veteran dman at this point I don't make a deal. Just wait it out, let these guys go through a bit of the growing pains both in the NHL and AHL. I think the team and players will be better off for it in the long run.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust

/confused fan

It's October. We're 7-2. We have so much depth we're constantly debating which marginal players should play each night. Come January we will have far too many d-men and will have to unload someone for roster space (i.e. for nothing).

I feel like this team is as good as any once they can figure out the power play, which will happen. We have the players to do it they just aren't right now. What we don't need to do is make some huge move to disrupt the chemistry of this team. Top pairing d-men can't be acquired via trade. It just doesn't happen. The Pronger trade was a fluke. We have young talent that will only get better with experience.

Nothing has to give. We need to get healthy and get the power play going. The PK has improved dramatically and offensive depth is outstanding for the second straight year. Relax. We're in a great spot.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
I agree with TheJoeMan that we are in good shape. But if Anderson looks like he can handle the job as the backup, we can trade Hiller or Fasth for another 1st rounder, and then package all three 1 rounders for the number one pick, and pick up a future superstar stud.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
I agree with TheJoeMan that we are in good shape. But if Anderson looks like he can handle the job as the backup, we can trade Hiller or Fasth for another 1st rounder, and then package all three 1 rounders for the number one pick, and pick up a future superstar stud.

Andersen has played 2/3 of one NHL game. Let's not lose our minds here. Plus Fasth's health is way sketchy. We have to ride Hiller out for the whole year probably.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad