Post-Game Talk: Someone put potatoes in our pants. Habs lose 3-0 to Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Sell what? We have nothing to offer hahaha
It’s not panicking. They are outperforming this season and the frustrating part is losing against teams we might face early in playoffs. That’s what frustrating.

And also what’s frustrating is slowing our rebuild by having so much success..too early. It’s not sustainable with this core team. Need more talent through the draft like KK.

And most frustrating is our own fans blinded by Drouin and saying how Sergachev is average and how Bergevin won that trade. It’s ridiculous. Sergachev will always succeed more than Drouin because Drouin has no work ethic, no character except being a diva.

Defensemen take time to develop. I think Sergachev will be a beast in 2-3 years from now and would fill a massive hole for us. And those are extremely difficult holes to fill too. We'll regret this one when that time comes.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
He was incredible against Winnipeg.

In fairness to him, after that game we played some great clubs. I had pretty much written him off as a 2nd liner but the Winnipeg game gave me some hope. I'll be watching him over the next few weeks to see how he does. Nobody outside of a true superstar is going to be dominant over the Lightning. But maybe he can start by dominating Florida in the next game - and maybe he can work on not turning the puck over - baby steps.

You're right not many people can be superstars against Tampa but it's his poor defensive decisions that cost us goals and kill the momentum.

Not turning over the puck shouldn't be a baby step either, especially when you're the only one doing it on your line. Have some respect for your teammates and put the defensive effort in like they do.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Why would you sell?! That makes zero sense. There’s a good chance they make the playoffs which means at least 4 more games. They’ll most certainly be in the hunt for free agents in the off season, of which there are big names. They have s young core. Plus, they have some fantastic prospects coming with quite a few draft picks this year. You don’t sell if you’ve got a good chance to make the playoffs. Absolutely no one covering hockey has said the Habs should be sellers. If anything, they should try to add.
Oh boy, four games of playoffs, how exciting. We should have been sellers, now we are stuck in the same rut, 26 more years yay.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
They aren't overperforming, they are performing in accordance with their relative skill and effort level

"Fans blinded by Drouin and saying how Sergachev is average" are not a problem on these boards, the inverse was true up until Drouin had a few good performances. Everyone was willing to pile on that trade because of multiple factors, not all of them being Drouin's defensive errors.

Sergachev hasn't "achieved" by the way.

Yes they are. They are a team that lack talent. They win mainly because of Price and Weber. They were written off at the beginning of season. They surprised everyone by being in the position of making the playoffs. That’s overperforming the expectations.

As for Drouin vs Sergachev, it’s obv Bergevin gambled and wanted to pull a trick over every GM in the league by pretending to have found “1C superstar” by converting a talented winger into center. If you all remember at the introduction presser, Drouin was happy to remind everybody that he was playing center with Lac St. Louis Lions in midget AAA. Trying to convince that we got ourselves the next Giroux. While Sergachev had an amazing year in Windsor draft+1. We will always lose this trade bc players like Drouin are named Yakupov, Daigle, etc.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Defensemen take time to develop. I think Sergachev will be a beast in 2-3 years from now and would fill a massive hole for us. And those are extremely difficult holes to fill too. We'll regret this one when that time comes.

No guarantee of that. Plenty of very skilled d-men are never able to up their defensive game to top levels and remain flawed. Don't think it's inevitable.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Thompson is fine and they got him for free basically.. They didnt pay to acquire Weise, it’s actually the opposite, they got rid of Schlemko.

If Weise is our new Schelmko, it's slightly worse 'cause his contract is slightly bigger. So if we got a forward Schlemko, sorry....but getting rid of Schlemko means nothing.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Yes they are. They are a team that lack talent. They win mainly because of Price and Weber. They were written off at the beginning of season. They surprised everyone by being in the position of making the playoffs. That’s overperforming the expectations.

As for Drouin vs Sergachev, it’s obv Bergevin gambled and wanted to pull a trick over every GM in the league by pretending to have found “1C superstar” by converting a talented winger into center. If you all remember at the introduction presser, Drouin was happy to remind everybody that he was playing center with Lac St. Louis Lions in midget AAA. Trying to convince that we got ourselves the next Giroux. While Sergachev had an amazing year in Windsor draft+1. We will always lose this trade bc players like Drouin are named Yakupov, Daigle, etc.

They really don't win mainly because of Price and Weber, just watch the games

I don't think you're looking at any of this stuff objectively. Sergachev had an amazing draft +1 year? Do you really want to compare prospect years with Drouin?

Drouin is not Daigle or Yakupov that's just totally idiotic

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If Weise is our new Schelmko, it's slightly worse 'cause his contract is slightly bigger. So if we got a forward Schlemko, sorry....but getting rid of Schlemko means nothing.
Let's see how Weisse does against teams other than the Lightning and Nashville. Then we can write him off as forward Schlemko.

Reactions: Edgy

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Let's see how Weisse does against teams other than the Lightning and Nashville. Then we can write him off as forward Schlemko.

I know....was just saying IF he ends up that way, no idea how we can be satisfied with unloading Schlemko by getting a forward Schlemko....

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Please... Leafs have Matthews, Nylander and Marner, all these guys are 21 or 22. It doesn't matter what they have in the minors.

Let's not go down the path of trying one up those guys. They have star power we haven't had in a long time.
Not sure what you’re trying to say
You made my point

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
dqlamlo.gif

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Oh boy, four games of playoffs, how exciting. We should have been sellers, now we are stuck in the same rut, 26 more years yay.
So please. Tell me what your letter to the fans should say at this point. Basically you're saying that despite all the positives from this season, the vast improvement from last season, the 180 they made with regards to team attitude, the excitement that they've managed to bring back to Montreal..... you're basically saying "sorry, I know we hold a playoff spot right now, but I just don't think we can win, so we're going to sell". But hey, come see us next year or the year after?"
That's pretty much what you're saying. That's just ridiculous. Keep looking backwards though at all the negatives and stay blind to the future like some others on this board. And please, do me a favour, don't watch the playoffs if we get in. Apparently, it would bore you too much.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Ideally we finish in the 1st wildcard spot
Nah. The plan is/should still to keep building. These losses are only a good thing.
Making the playoffs by the skin of our teeth only to get bounced in the first does nothing for us.

Finding elite players in the 15-20 range is already hard as it is, so the higher we can move up on the draft board the better.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
I know....was just saying IF he ends up that way, no idea how we can be satisfied with unloading Schlemko by getting a forward Schlemko....

Its a 250k a year gamble that Weise can be somewhat helpfull+ you have Folin for free.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Doesn't have to be rentals... is anyone in favour of that? I don't think so. No way we should give up assets for a short term run. But if we could speak with Panarin to get him locked into a contract, that's a totally different story.

Why rush? We can try and sign Panarin on July 1st without giving up any assets.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
So please. Tell me what your letter to the fans should say at this point. Basically you're saying that despite all the positives from this season, the vast improvement from last season, the 180 they made with regards to team attitude, the excitement that they've managed to bring back to Montreal..... you're basically saying "sorry, I know we hold a playoff spot right now, but I just don't think we can win, so we're going to sell". But hey, come see us next year or the year after?"
Easy.

"Last year we said we want to build for the longterm and are committed to a reset. We are happy with the progress we've made this year both with the players and coaching staff. Our goal is still to win a Stanley Cup, which is why we are keeping course with our plan of building a team that will give us a chance to win for many years."

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrei79

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Easy.

"Last year we said we want to build for the longterm and are committed to a reset. We are happy with the progress we've made this year both with the players and coaching staff. Our goal is still to win a Stanley Cup, which is why we are keeping course with our plan of building a team that will give us a chance to win for many years."
Hows that easy? Sell that to the fans looking forward to playoffs. Youre accepting defeat and acknowledging that youve msde mistakes again this year because you propose they sell. No team sells when they think theyre making the playoffs. It doesnt happen because ots a ridiculous idea.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Hows that easy? Sell that to the fans looking forward to playoffs. Youre accepting defeat and acknowledging that youve msde mistakes again this year because you propose they sell. No team sells when they think theyre making the playoffs. It doesnt happen because ots a ridiculous idea.
People have this ridiculous fear that fans will cancel their season tickets and riot because management is just being honest about committing to the longterm success of its team.

It wasn't a problem for T.O, it wouldn't be here either, fans are smart enough to realize we're far from there yet. It's really only the media that try to spin this BS drama. After 25 years, people want a Cup, not another 1st round exit. And plenty of bubble teams have sold before, St.Louis and NYR last year, Minnesota just announced it this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeeto

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Its a 250k a year gamble that Weise can be somewhat helpfull+ you have Folin for free.

The point is....this deal is perfect since we got rid of Schlemko. I'm saying that if Weise is a forward Schlemko that also has a contractd next year...I have no idea how getting rid of a Schlemko to get a forward Schlemko is any better. Pretty simple actually. Then, yes, Folin is there. As of today, can't wait to see him in action. Doesn'T seem to be the best option right now.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
ANd some in here wonder why we have not a lot of faith in Bergevin....all that talk about character, and he deals our best defensive prospect for a guy who is everything but character....

Reactions: OldCraig71

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
ANd some in here wonder why we have not a lot of faith in Bergevin....all that talk about character, and he deals our best defensive prospect for a guy who is everything but character....

You got it all wrong. Nate Thompson and Dale Weise did not cost anything. Everything is fine. It's perfect.

It's funny cause i don't think i heard the "it did not cost anything" excuse once before MB came here. IMO a useless move is still a useless move even if it doesn't cost anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad