Post-Game Talk: Someone put potatoes in our pants. Habs lose 3-0 to Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
As of today, pretty clear that Weise is nowhere near the Weise we all knew. And if so....you wonder what our pro scouts are doing.....are they paid for that? Thompson? Fine so far. Folin? Would be neat to see him. But for Weise....prediction if that goes on.....another Bergevin buyout is coming your way soon....

Does it really matter? Cause what would have happened to Schlemko, would he not have been bought out or buried? Weise can always be sent down if he doesn't work out. It was such a small deal that it can be turned into anything, even into zero and the Habs are not the worse for it.

Now, if the Habs had expended some real assets for Weise, then yeah, I'd really be concerned. Let Weise play and flame out or be better, whatever the outcome is. This is not where the GM should be taken to task.

Drouin is the quandary, can't be consistent if his life depended on it. He could be the key to us securing that quality first pairing LHD.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So let's trade him while some GMs still have faith in him.

You can't have a player in your core that plays a high risk game and who can't be consistent like most other players exhibiting similar talent, especially one who has been in the league long enough to be better. He is who he is at this point and I would look to convert his value to fill a glaring need.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Not even sure it's worth it to buy out Weise. Might have some value to a team like Arizona, Colorado or Ottawa who may have trouble reaching the cap floor next year. His cap is $2,350m, but his salary is $1,75m; otherwise waive him and send him to Laval. We don't have a lot of depth at RW in the AHL, and he can be a call-up for next year. He can still produce some offense in the AHL.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not even sure it's worth it to buy out Weise. Might have some value to a team like Arizona, Colorado or Ottawa who may have trouble reaching the cap floor next year. His cap is $2,350m, but his salary is $1,75m; otherwise waive him and send him to Laval. We don't have a lot of depth at RW in the AHL, and he can be a call-up for next year. He can still produce some offense in the AHL.

Nothing was lost, maybe something was gained. This is not a move that the GM should be faulted for, either way.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
What a team Tampas assembled. Just incredible. I'm fully for them winning this year.

I would like to see Big Joe winning it. I think SJ has a fair shot with that top 5 defense.

That would be incredible Ovy and Big Joe shutting up the plebs saying they are losers two years in a row.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
pgP2OZV.gif

Kucherov's appendages retracted once he realized who had taken him out.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
As of today, pretty clear that Weise is nowhere near the Weise we all knew. And if so....you wonder what our pro scouts are doing.....are they paid for that? Thompson? Fine so far. Folin? Would be neat to see him. But for Weise....prediction if that goes on.....another Bergevin buyout is coming your way soon....

Thompson is fine and they got him for free basically.. They didnt pay to acquire Weise, it’s actually the opposite, they got rid of Schlemko.

Reactions: Runner77

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I'm a believer in this team, the core group of players and prospects going forward. But this year is just not the right year. Respect the process. The right thing to do in these coming weeks would be to sell but we all know that's not gonna happen.
Why would you sell?! That makes zero sense. There’s a good chance they make the playoffs which means at least 4 more games. They’ll most certainly be in the hunt for free agents in the off season, of which there are big names. They have s young core. Plus, they have some fantastic prospects coming with quite a few draft picks this year. You don’t sell if you’ve got a good chance to make the playoffs. Absolutely no one covering hockey has said the Habs should be sellers. If anything, they should try to add.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Not even close to what tbay or the leafs have and probably Florida
Please... Leafs have Matthews, Nylander and Marner, all these guys are 21 or 22. It doesn't matter what they have in the minors.

Let's not go down the path of trying one up those guys. They have star power we haven't had in a long time.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Can’t believe the media and some fans are ready to give up draft picks and prospects for pending UFA’s. Hope they now realize that we are not cup contenders.

This team did better than what most of us expected, but let’s be realistic here.
Doesn't have to be rentals... is anyone in favour of that? I don't think so. No way we should give up assets for a short term run. But if we could speak with Panarin to get him locked into a contract, that's a totally different story.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Please... Leafs have Matthews, Nylander and Marner, all these guys are 21 or 22. It doesn't matter what they have in the minors.

Let's not go down the path of trying one up those guys. They have star power we haven't had in a long time.
And yet they still got blanked by Arizona.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Damn, 2 losses to the top contenders from each conference and this entire board is on suicide watch :laugh:

Let's see how the next few games go before deciding to sell the entire team and icing an AHL team.

Reactions: admiralcadillac

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We won’t win a playoff game
I don't think anyone will win a playoff game against the Lightning... :laugh:

It's hilarious to read the posts in the forum lately. Back (oh say three games ago) we had people talking like this team was a contender and Dannault was a number one and Drouin was finally looking like a superstar... now we suck and we'll never win a playoff game.

We're somewhere in the middle. We actually fared decently on this four game stretch. No, we won't win anything unless holes are filled but we're miles ahead of where I thought we'd be.

I'd just like us to pick a path.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I mean Drouin is inconsistent. He is going to get criticized a lot for it but its just who he is. It's games like this where you hope high skilled guys can get you over the finish line. He didn't even come close. A consistent Drouin would be a top 5 winger in the league. I just can't see him ever getting to that point, though.
He was incredible against Winnipeg.

In fairness to him, after that game we played some great clubs. I had pretty much written him off as a 2nd liner but the Winnipeg game gave me some hope. I'll be watching him over the next few weeks to see how he does. Nobody outside of a true superstar is going to be dominant over the Lightning. But maybe he can start by dominating Florida in the next game - and maybe he can work on not turning the puck over - baby steps.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Damn, 2 losses to the top contenders from each conference and this entire board is on suicide watch :laugh:

Let's see how the next few games go before deciding to sell the entire team and icing an AHL team.

Sell what? We have nothing to offer hahaha
It’s not panicking. They are outperforming this season and the frustrating part is losing against teams we might face early in playoffs. That’s what frustrating.

And also what’s frustrating is slowing our rebuild by having so much success..too early. It’s not sustainable with this core team. Need more talent through the draft like KK.

And most frustrating is our own fans blinded by Drouin and saying how Sergachev is average and how Bergevin won that trade. It’s ridiculous. Sergachev will always succeed more than Drouin because Drouin has no work ethic, no character except being a diva.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Sell what? We have nothing to offer hahaha
It’s not panicking. They are outperforming this season and the frustrating part is losing against teams we might face early in playoffs. That’s what frustrating.

And also what’s frustrating is slowing our rebuild by having so much success..too early. It’s not sustainable with this core team. Need more talent through the draft like KK.

And most frustrating is our own fans blinded by Drouin and saying how Sergachev is average and how Bergevin won that trade. It’s ridiculous. Sergachev will always succeed more than Drouin because Drouin has no work ethic, no character except being a diva.

They aren't overperforming, they are performing in accordance with their relative skill and effort level

"Fans blinded by Drouin and saying how Sergachev is average" are not a problem on these boards, the inverse was true up until Drouin had a few good performances. Everyone was willing to pile on that trade because of multiple factors, not all of them being Drouin's defensive errors.

Sergachev hasn't "achieved" by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->