Someone pointed this out - BS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironchef Chris Wok*

I think they should do it differently for the quarterfinals, semifinals, and finals.

Whomever gets home-ice advantage gets to play in their home country. Simple as that.

It would make the round robin games... you know... ACTUALLY MATTER by having REAL home-ice advantage hang in the balance.

The travel would be a *******, but hey, I'm not going to be flying to Germany from Toronto for a hockey game :p:

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Slay said:
Hm and please tell me where do Fedorov, Bondra, Jagr, Kovalev, Forsberg, Sundin and many others european players play for many years? isn't in NHL? isn't on small ice rinks? European players face the same adaptation problems when they come to play in Europe. So please stop it.
Not the same adaptation. Europeans NHLers grew up and learned hockey playing on the big rinks and now are playing every day on the small rinks. At the World Championships and Olympics, it only takes Europeans a few steps to get back into their old habit. North Americans on the other hand learned how to play on the small rinks and continue to play on the small rinks in the NHL. So logically, who should have more problems adapting to the different rink sizes?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
kastaure said:
You know that 80% of the tickets for 2 games in Montreal where sold in 1 week... 11 months before the event...

Try to beat that...

The game against Sweden at Hartwall Arena was sold out in...2 hours...Beat that...

I don't think there's anything wrong with Canada getting the home-advantage, it's "their tournament" and I'll gladly grant them that because they can't host the World Championships.

Useless to whine about home-advantage, someone will always have the home-advantage unless you plan to play all the games in outer Mongolia.

Besides, games in Toronto don't give Canadiens any home-advantage since Torontonians only cheer for the blue maple leafs ;)

Vic Rattlehead*

wilka91 said:
This tournament is bull$hit.

Canada organized it simply to win it, which includes referees favoring them as much as possible and of course, home ice advantage!
:nopity:

You truly make yourself look stupid, always claiming that Canada is cheating.

Erik

Jul 28, 2004
Tampa, FL
Don_Cherry said:
I'm still livid about the US having every game at home during the last Olympics.

And it didn't bother that Japan had home ice advantage every game of the 1998 Olympics?

Erik

Jul 28, 2004
Tampa, FL
Pepper said:
Besides, games in Toronto don't give Canadiens any home-advantage since Torontonians only cheer for the blue maple leafs ;)

Yeah, I've always wondered how fans in the ACC respond to a brilliant play by Quebecians.

H/H

Aug 27, 2004
If Sweden face Canada in the Semis, Sundin will have home ice advantage :)

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Macman said:
I brought up the worlds and Olympics because you said the Canada Cup was not that important. That implies that some other tournament is. I assumed you meant those. If you meant the Spengler Cup or the Izvestia, then I apologize.
Forget about the tournaments, it´s totally irrelevant in this matter. They were just happy to beat Canada in Canada in a big way. That´s it.

As for the money being the reason to stage this tournament - i meant the NHL not the players. Too bad though that the tickets are so expensive so the arenas in Europe aren´t sold out. I love hockey, live 20 minutes away from the Globe Arena and haven´t been to a single game... :(

aj

Mar 19, 2004
London, England
Might as well keep complaining.......it got rid of the "three players under-23" rule, and that was clearly only there to benefit Canada, as well.
:shakehead

Spacefille

May 28, 2004
wilka91 said:
This tournament is bull$hit.

Canada organized it simply to win it, which includes referees favoring them as much as possible and of course, home ice advantage!

Um... I'm a newbie fan and from what I saw of the Calgary Flames games this last season there is no such thing as this mythical home advantage. So stop yer whining or boycott it, either or. But let the rest of us watch in peace. :P

monkey_00*

>>>I don't find much to wet the panties about.

This is Canada's tournament, designed to their advantages. Nothing new there.<<<
==========================

H/H..........

I really don't think it would have made much difference anyways if most of the games were played in the U.S. as apposed to Canada.......U.S. had home ice advantage during the Salt Lake games and THAT didn't stop Canada from winning the gold medal did it?

Cheers!~

monkey_00

monkey_00*

>>>Shouldn't the United States WIN a hockey game, before there's talk about the location of a World Cup final game???<<<
==========================

Let's face it gang.....Most people in the States would rather be watching College Football or other sports instead........even if the U.S. were to win this whole thing (and they still could) their team wouldn't be a blip on the radar of their nightly news telecasts.......case in point; that game the other night in Minnesota wasn't even a sellout......and Minnesota is supposed to be one of the hockey hotbeds of America.

Cheers!~

monkey_00

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Macman said:
Every tournament has a home team, there's no getting around that fact. This tournament is actually fairer than most in that every country except Slovakia and Russia are getting a chance to play some games at home.

I don't know what some people want. Canada gave the hockey world its first opportunity to bring all its best players to a tournament when it formed the Canada Cup and all we've heard since from a lot of Europeans is how Canada cheats but never gives an example of exactly how. How home ice favours Canada, despite the fact that no country has one a world championship as host since the days of stacked Soviet teams playing nobodies from Canada. And the most ridiculous one of all: how the a U.S. based NHL league desperate to create more fans in the U.S. somehow wants Canada to win.

The fact is, folks, Canada wins the majority of best-on-best tournaments because we have the best and deepest pool of players to chose from. No conspiracies. No cheating. Just talent.

:bow: :bow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad