Someone pointed this out - BS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

modestfwd

May 17, 2004
I was on a different message board earlier, and I saw something. Canada plays EVERY game at home! Not only in the preliminary round, but in the ONE Championship game!!

How much B.S. is that?!?! If anything, the U.S. should get this home ice advantage because they only WON the last tourny!

How is this fair to any of the other countries?! Someone please explain

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Well for one thing, Canada earned it's spot for a home quarter final game, I believe the semi final is played in Minnesota, and c'mon, Toronto and hockey go together like cake and ice cream. The championship game HAS to be played there. It wouldnt be the same if it was in Finland, Sweden or MInnesota IMO.

Saying the WC should NOT be held mostly in Canada is like saying the Little League World Series shouldn't be played in the US.

Besides, what makes you think Canada will be the home team for the championship game? (Don;t get me wrong though, it will most likely happen. :) )

Last edited:

policegopher

May 10, 2004
Minnesota
It was my understanding that if The US ended up as a higher seed than Canada, Canada would have to play the US at the X in St. Paul. Other than that all Team Canada games would be in Canada.

I think it's because the World Cup is basically the Canada cup with a new name. It's their tourney.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Though hopefully if there is another World Cup in four (or eight) years time the championship rounds will be held in Europe... that's if they want any credibility for the tourney.

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
policegopher said:
It was my understanding that if The US ended up as a higher seed than Canada, Canada would have to play the US at the X in St. Paul. Other than that all Team Canada games would be in Canada.

I think it's because the World Cup is basically the Canada cup with a new name. It's their tourney.

You are right. But it only applies for the Quarter finals. Lets say US finishes 2nd and Canada finishes 3rd (won't happen now, but had it) Canada would have had to go play the US in St Paul.

policegopher

May 10, 2004
Minnesota
Jacques Plante said:
You are right. But it only applies for the Quarter finals. Lets say US finishes 2nd and Canada finishes 3rd (won't happen now, but had it) Canada would have had to go play the US in St Paul.

But it is still possible that the US, if it wins its next two games would be the 2nd seed, therefore, playing the Qtr at the X..right??? At least thats my understanding. Also, the worst Canada can do now is 2nd seed, Russia would have to win all there games from here on out.

And also the only way the US wont play at the X now in the qtr is if the end up playing Canada.. All so confusing :dunno: .

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
policegopher said:
But it is still possible that the US, if it wins its next two games would be the 2nd seed, therefore, playing the Qtr at the X..right??? At least thats my understanding. Also, the worst Canada can do now is 2nd seed, Russia would have to win all there games from here on out.

And also the only way the US wont play at the X now in the qtr is if the end up playing Canada.. All so confusing :dunno: .

This is confusing but let me try to help out, I think.

The quarter finals go like this.
1 vs 4
2 vs 3

Canada has locked up 1 or 2. So they will play in Canada for the Qtrs. As long as the US comes in 2nd or doesn't align them selves to play Canada. They will play in St Paul.

Here's a confusing example. Say the US comes in 4th and Russia comes in 1st. The game would still take place in St Paul with Russia the home team.

Does this help? :dunno:

Macman

May 15, 2004
modestfwd said:
I was on a different message board earlier, and I saw something. Canada plays EVERY game at home! Not only in the preliminary round, but in the ONE Championship game!!

How much B.S. is that?!?! If anything, the U.S. should get this home ice advantage because they only WON the last tourny!

How is this fair to any of the other countries?! Someone please explain

How fair is it that every world championship ever played has been played in Europe and on big ice, or that every Olympics has been on big ice? That's not very fair to North Americans, but them's the rules for those tournaments and these are the rules for this one. Besides, home ice is overrated. When was the last time you saw the home team win at the worlds? The fact is playing at home often backfires, especially when you're facing the kind of pressure Canada faces every time they skate in front of their fans. I'm sure you'll see the World Cup rotate around more in the future, but right now the only place in the world this tournament would sell out is in Canada.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Macman said:
How fair is it that every world championship ever played has been played in Europe and on big ice, or that every Olympics has been on big ice? That's not very fair to North Americans, but them's the rules for those tournaments and these are the rules for this one. Besides, home ice is overrated. When was the last time you saw the home team win at the worlds? The fact is playing at home often backfires, especially when you're facing the kind of pressure Canada faces every time they skate in front of their fans. I'm sure you'll see the World Cup rotate around more in the future, but right now the only place in the world this tournament would sell out is in Canada.

With NHLer's in the Olympics, I'd bet this will be the last World Cup for a while, maybe ever.

H/H

Aug 27, 2004
I don't find much to wet the panties about.

This is Canada's tournament, designed to their advantages. Nothing new there.

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
Macman said:
How fair is it that every world championship ever played has been played in Europe and on big ice, or that every Olympics has been on big ice?

It's called international hockey ;)

Heck, I don't even get coverage and people start to get angry about Canada getting home ice one more game than the US... :dunno:

I might also point out that the World Cup is basically the succesor to the Canada Cup :teach:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I wouldn't have a problem if they moved the tourney around a bit ala the Soccer World Cup, the only problem is if you take games aways from the North American time zone, it starts to lose a lot of money from TV.

Plus, they make more money in North America at the games from ticket prices etc.

I think they get worried about games not getting enough attendance. That's why Toronto, Montreal and Minnesota seem to being used, because they are all such strong hockey markets. A nice tip of the hat to Minnesota in this regard.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Macman said:
How fair is it that every world championship ever played has been played in Europe and on big ice, or that every Olympics has been on big ice? That's not very fair to North Americans, but them's the rules for those tournaments and these are the rules for this one. Besides, home ice is overrated. When was the last time you saw the home team win at the worlds?
The reason why Canada or USA doesn´t stage the World Championships is simply because they have not applied to stage it before. Canada will try to get the 2008 championships though, read more about it here.

The last time a home team won the World Championships was back in 1986, SovietUnion of course.

H/H

Aug 27, 2004
leafs4thecup said:
Then I guess the Olympics is designed to Canada's advantage also? How about the World Championships, senior and junior, in which Canada is always in contention. It seems as though even the tournaments designed to European advantages, are still mostly dominated by north american teams. No one ever complains when tournaments are in Europe, on european ice surfaces, with european rules, designed to those who played the game that way, ie: Europeans, not North Americans.

Where did I complain? I just said it's nothing to get excited about.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
This tournament is bull$hit.

Canada organized it simply to win it, which includes referees favoring them as much as possible and of course, home ice advantage!

Westcoasthabsfan

Aug 22, 2004
In Pandoras Box
wilka91 said:

Canada organized it simply to win it, which includes referees favoring them as much as possible and of course, home ice advantage!

I am starting to shed a tear here.....

Sounds like sour grapes to me

Feb 24, 2004
wilka91 said:

I find this quote to be just more whining. Before the tourney started, I remember you Wilka saying how Canada was overrated, and how they won't win. You've predicted losses for them both times if I'm correct? If you were so sure of these things before, why is this tourney slanted towards the Canadians? Just because they won their first two games?

All these european players play their games on NHL Ice Rinks in the year. Hockey is the most popular sport in Canada. Why would the NHL want Canada to win the tournament? You and the people who constantly state that Canada is wanted to win by the NHL fail to give a reason for it. Home Ice Advantage? It doesn't matter if Canada doesn't bid for the world championships, it still doesn't take away from the fact that the European countries always host the tournament, have international referees giving THEM the benefit of the calls, and still can't win with any sort of consistency.

It seems to me that even if Canada beat Russia in the middle of Moscow with the largest size rink and Vladimir Putin refereeing, you would still find something to complain about. If Canada is wanted to win this tournament, why watch? You obviously hate the country for some reason, so don't bother watching what many of us feel is the best hockey in the world despite it being on a smaller rink, the way the game was meant to be played.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
leafs4thecup said:
I find this quote to be just more whining. Before the tourney started, I remember you Wilka saying how Canada was overrated, and how they won't win. You've predicted losses for them both times if I'm correct? If you were so sure of these things before, why is this tourney slanted towards the Canadians? Just because they won their first two games?

All these european players play their games on NHL Ice Rinks in the year. Hockey is the most popular sport in Canada. Why would the NHL want Canada to win the tournament? You and the people who constantly state that Canada is wanted to win by the NHL fail to give a reason for it. Home Ice Advantage? It doesn't matter if Canada doesn't bid for the world championships, it still doesn't take away from the fact that the European countries always host the tournament, have international referees giving THEM the benefit of the calls, and still can't win with any sort of consistency.

It seems to me that even if Canada beat Russia in the middle of Moscow with the largest size rink and Vladimir Putin refereeing, you would still find something to complain about. If Canada is wanted to win this tournament, why watch? You obviously hate the country for some reason, so don't bother watching what many of us feel is the best hockey in the world despite it being on a smaller rink, the way the game was meant to be played.
:handclap:
Touche my friend, touche.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
leafs4thecup said:
It doesn't matter if Canada doesn't bid for the world championships, it still doesn't take away from the fact that the European countries always host the tournament,
The tournament isn't hosted by "the European countries".

Whether it's in Finland or in Canada, Slovakia is away all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->