Someone explain the EA NHL game to me

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Background: I started with NHL94 on SNES and logged the majority of my gaming hours on NHL96. The last edition I bought was NHL07 on PS2.

Flash forward to today. Suppose I went out and bought a PS4 and NHL20 upon release.

Is it still possible just load up a franchise mode out of the box and play through several seasons of that with current NHL rosters? Or do I have to go through all of this online BS and collecting cards and whatnot?

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
You need internet for the updated rosters...the rosters you get out of the box will be as of something like August 29th or something.

So you'll be missing a lot of prospects/young players, and players like Rasmus Dahlin won't be on the Sabres (same for other European and NCAA rookies).

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Thanks for all of the quick replies!
One other random thought, if you plan on actually playing games I'd suggest getting familiar with the controls as the "skill stick" came out in 08. You can always switch back to classic controls but the default button settings may be different than you're used to

JGaudreau

Oct 9, 2015
I would suggest not playing the series. EA is screwing their customers year after year, you'll wonder why all the game modes suck. Then you'll try HUT just to see, then your rag tag group of rejects will outshoot your opponent 45-5 and you'll lose 5-0.

Wouldn't be surprised if EA is sued for violations of consumer protection laws. As we just saw with Apex EA will not hesitate to screw their customers by manipulating the code to favour the poor suckers that will pay for microtransactions, do not support these crooks.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
One other random thought, if you plan on actually playing games I'd suggest getting familiar with the controls as the "skill stick" came out in 08. You can always switch back to classic controls but the default button settings may be different than you're used to

And as a fellow old timer... I got my first job flipping burgers so that I could buy the original NHL on Genesis.... I would strongly suggest learning the skill stick. It isn't perfect, but it is pretty much the only gameplay improvement/innovation, other than 6v6 team play, that they have made in the last decade.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Background: I started with NHL94 on SNES and logged the majority of my gaming hours on NHL96. The last edition I bought was NHL07 on PS2.

Flash forward to today. Suppose I went out and bought a PS4 and NHL20 upon release.

Is it still possible just load up a franchise mode out of the box and play through several seasons of that with current NHL rosters? Or do I have to go through all of this online BS and collecting cards and whatnot?

The game divides all of it's modes into single, standalone entities.

So Franchise Mode is it's own enclosed experience, and the "collecting card BS" that is Hockey Ultimate Team (HUT), is it's own separate online experience, which represents one of a handful of online experiences the game offers.

So long story short - yes, you can buy NHL, fire it up, and jump straight into Franchise Mode without any issue.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

I only play Franchise mode because that's the only fun thing I like to do. I play 20-25 season GM modes and play a game here and there, but I get most of my satisfaction building a team through drafting and trading.

You only need internet for the rosters.

Reactions: kuzy 92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad