Post-Game Talk: Someone buy the video review dude a beer. Habs win 2-1 vs Arizona

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Well.. at least from my perspective I don't think its entirely wrong.... Our goalies are playing very well right now.. Esp price.

however they cant score goals so its not solely the Montreal Carey Prices.
but when your goalie is your top player and is earning 10m you cant say we are winning cause of goalie.
Its like saying the pens won cause of crosby. Well hell yea, thats what stars do. help their team win

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I'm starting to wonder if its time for Muller to be taken off PP duties. Julien handled the PP recently and tonight they looked much better compared to before. They were moving the puck with urgency and didnt do the foolish drop pass into our own zone breakout that never worked. The guys still need to be more shot oriented but the two power plays we had tonight showed promise if not, at the very least it resembled what a PP should look like.

I think ARZ just left Weber open too much. Not sure what they were thinking but if you leave Weber open to lob bombs its going to create rebounds and havoc.

Reactions: donghabs98

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Games in hand and all that, but the Habs sit 4th in the conference at the All Star break. Right with the "mighty" Leafs and ahead of the Bruins, Caps and Pens. Nobody could have saw that coming.

So what you are saying is we should tank and trade everyone for 2nd round picks ?

/s

Reactions: Acadien86 and Tuggy

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Julien is so anti-Russian. If anyone other than Galchenyuk scored, he would have never challenged that goal. :sarcasm:

He loves the Russians but he hates Belarusians born in the USA. Galchenyuk's father was Belarusian - not Russian. And if anybody turned Claude off from belarussians it was probably a Kostitsyn :sarcasm:

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Jul 6, 2016
This is my lineup after the break:

Drouin - Domi - Shaw
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Byron - Peca - Hudon
Deslauriers

Mete - Weber
Rielly - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen
Benn

Who knows when Shaw will be healthy again ?
That 4th line you have is awful. Byron is better than a 4th liner. Hudon is useless on a 4th line. Sorry, you need size and grit on that 4th line.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Folks want Datzyuk... Why not 40 y.o. Markov, too ?

I'd say it has to do more with several folks not wanting the Habs to pay up to land better players and certainly not rentals. They'd like the Habs to stay the course. Datzyuk's cost is his most appealing feature.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
anyone else really wanting us to make a run and upset the Leafs in the playoffs this year? Cause like... I'm totally down for that. I like the make up of our team to grind and tire them out, too, while still playing a speed game and aggressively forechecking them.

Reactions: Redux91 and Shad

Jul 6, 2016
anyone else really wanting us to make a run and upset the Leafs in the playoffs this year? Cause like... I'm totally down for that. I like the make up of our team to grind and tire them out, too, while still playing a speed game and aggressively forechecking them.

A Leafs-Habs 1st round series would be awesome. But IF Habs finish 7th overall and meet the Isles or Washington or Columbus or Pittsburg, that could be interesting too.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I think ARZ just left Weber open too much. Not sure what they were thinking but if you leave Weber open to lob bombs its going to create rebounds and havoc.
though this is the first time we had 4 players low instead of one low and two on the side. So it may be a zona factor, thought their pk is good. lets wait and see. BUt at least it is a light at the end of the tunnel

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
That 4th line you have is awful. Byron is better than a 4th liner. Hudon is useless on a 4th line. Sorry, you need size and grit on that 4th line.

Oh so now all of a sudden there is a certain way to build your 4th line for success? But when we argue that Habs aren't taking the ideal path to success it's then ok to mention there are multiple paths that can work?

Reactions: Runner77

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Deslauriers should always have a spot on this current team’s 4th line.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
though this is the first time we had 4 players low instead of one low and two on the side. So it may be a zona factor, thought their pk is good. lets wait and see. BUt at least it is a light at the end of the tunnel

That could be it. But either way I think the key was that Weber found a way to be open and lob bombs. The goal doesn't happen without Webers shot on net.

Gotta keep Weber open however they can. If it means 4 players down low then go with it. Habs don't have a good one timer on eihter side of the goalie and aren't great at making passes to break through the box. So Weber needs to be able to launch his cannon to create havoc.

Reactions: tazsub3

Jul 6, 2016
Big 2 points last night. Arizona been playing well. They beat Toronto handily Saturday night. Price been standing on his head since Weber returned

Arizona has a fair chance to make the Playoffs out West. Many teams can still dream about it.

In the East, I would say Carolina on a up swing, and Buffalo has to hang up there near the last two spots. I don't think the other teams below have any chances.

I am very surprised by the Isles.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Watched Weber carefully last night, defensively, hes very underrated i find lol, mete is the perfect partner for him, he doesnt mind going in the corner and taking a shot or getting in awkward positions and board battles in the corners that would leave him behind in the play, he understands that doesnt matter when the other 4 guys on the ice skate like the wind

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009

The fact that they had 2 shooting threats with Kotka and Weber instead of just one changed the whole dynamic of the PP, they were pretty much a one trick pony before and because of that very easy to defend against.

Reactions: donghabs98

Jul 6, 2016
The fact that they had 2 shooting threats with Kotka and Weber instead of just one changed the whole dynamic of the PP, they were pretty much a one trick pony before and because of that very easy to defend against.

Galchenyuk has many shortcomings, but he is a hell of a useful PP player. Too bad his attitude and off ice behaviour took him out of Montreal.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Nobody knows for certain what took Galchenyuk out of Montreal just as no one knows what “attitude” really means. Moving on.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Yup thats the key. The extra shooter opens it up to get it to Weber.

there are still issues with winning face offs and zone entries, but getting the puck to Weber is going to be key to this PP.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Galchenyuk has many shortcomings, but he is a hell of a useful PP player. Too bad his attitude and off ice behaviour took him out of Montreal.

I'd say the fact he brings next to nothing the 13-14 minutes he plays at even strength is what took him out of Montreal. Pacioretty and Galchenyuk just simply wouldn't fit it with how the team plays now, they are both good players who can provide offence but our team looks so much better with Domi/Tatar who rarely take shifts off.

Reactions: Zorba

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Oh so now all of a sudden there is a certain way to build your 4th line for success? But when we argue that Habs aren't taking the ideal path to success it's then ok to mention there are multiple paths that can work?

so what do you envision the 4th line is for, precisely ? Because its not to be a 2B or a three B.

what qualities do you think that hudon has that would make him an effective 4th liner ? This isnt rhetorical.

And byron can score 20, but not if he's on the fourth line.

Yes there are many different ways to succesfully move forward. Almost and infinite number. none of them have hudon and byron together on the 4th line.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
I'd say the fact he brings next to nothing the 13-14 minutes he plays at even strength is what took him out of Montreal. Pacioretty and Galchenyuk just simply wouldn't fit it with how the team plays now, they are both good players who can provide offence but our team looks so much better with Domi/Tatar who rarely take shifts off.

That's also my angle on it. We used to be stuck in our zone so often with our top lines. People were upset with our defense (to some extent, with good reason) but the work the forwards have put this year in the 5 on 5 game puts to shame our 5 on 5 gane of the last few years prior.

Every game I notice amazing defensive plays by our forwards. Its a regular occurence. There are plays like the goal domi scored (cant remember who we played) where he prevented a goal, picked up the puck and scored. Its great to see they have their foot on the gas the whole time. We have a much better 2way game this year.

Ill go as far as saying that even if his offensive game frustrates me often, even players like Drouin cleaned up their act defensively, and are helping us in keeping the puck in the offensive zone.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
so what do you envision the 4th line is for, precisely ? Because its not to be a 2B or a three B.

what qualities do you think that hudon has that would make him an effective 4th liner ? This isnt rhetorical.

And byron can score 20, but not if he's on the fourth line.

Yes there are many different ways to succesfully move forward. Almost and infinite number. none of them have hudon and byron together on the 4th line.

Hudon brings energy , some physicality (evolution we've seen in his game) , he lacks the speed to keep up with Byron and Peca. The line could serve to speedy and smart, what does Deslauriers or Chaput have that make them so much more ideal? As if Byron is only good for scoring 20 goals?

Speed amd energy have been the characteristics of a solid 4th line over the past few years. These players certainly fit in that category, remind me why Byron and Hudon can't work besides a weird obsession with size?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad