Proposal: [some web site's] trade proposition for Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
There's some garbage in there but trading Letang to get a sniper for Crosby makes sense if our young mobile D steps up imho (maybe add Petry too).

Article:

"6. Pittsburgh Penguins

The Pittsburgh Penguins have one of the best teams in the league. They are stacked with superstars and have arguably one of the best, if not the absolute best, players in the world in Sidney Crosby. Evgeni Malkin is nothing to sneeze at either.....

The player the Penguins should trade: Kris Letang. One of the best defensemen on the Penguins, Letang is the biggest tradeable asset they have. ....."

Last edited by a moderator:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I got a better idea. Let's keep our players (minus the crap), keep our picks, and start drafting our OWN players? Maybe...just MAYBE sign some UFA's from Europe? and some college guys we can have for WBS and see what we got dwhile we develope them.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I got a better idea. Let's keep our players (minus the crap), keep our picks, and start drafting our OWN players? Maybe...just MAYBE sign some UFA's from Europe? and some college guys we can have for WBS and see what we got dwhile we develope them.

:)

We need to go through the process of re-tooling properly and stop giving up assets. We need guys to develop before we're anywhere near competing again. No deadline moves next year plz.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Sutter is a second line center? We've done a great job cultivating prospects and stocking the cupboards? Letang is only *one of* the best dmen on the team? "Sinper" ? Trading for a more established goalie?

Yeah...

Not sure if the person who wrote that knows a damn thing about the Penguins.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
What's sportsbreak? Maybe they shouldn't take a break from watching sports before writing an article.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Sutter is a second line center? We've done a great job cultivating prospects and stocking the cupboards? Letang is only *one of* the best dmen on the team? "Sinper" ? Trading for a more established goalie?

Yeah...

Not sure if the person who wrote that knows a damn thing about the Penguins.

If the sniper is up there & we could get a Petry or another mobile D-Man we could still be able to make a run for the cup unless we get injury plagued again.

Thing is, we're at a crossroad. With the right moves i think we could still be contenders but what a couple of posters suggested also makes sense (building for the long term).

?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It's actually not a bad idea and it should be explored sooner rather than later. Maata is already playing in the top 4. Domoulin and Harrington are almost fully seasoned and ready for the NHL full time. Pouliot has the skills to play bottom pairing/PPQB1 already.

If you combine what all 4 of these guys can bring as they mature even more, the need for Letang becomes less and less imo.

I'm not saying shop him immediately but if all 4 of these guys plus Cole have a strong showing for half of the season next year, i'd seriously consider shopping Letang at the deadline IF our top 6 wing problems still exist which they probably will.

ETA: I didn't read the article btw. Just stating the case that moving Letang in the not so distant future would make some sense if the young D pan out and we still have holes up front.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
My thoughts on this article...

sN5ecLS.gif

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
It's actually not a bad idea and it should be explored sooner rather than later. Maata is already playing in the top 4. Domoulin and Harrington are almost fully seasoned and ready for the NHL full time. Pouliot has the skills to play bottom pairing/PPQB1 already.

If you combine what all 4 of these guys can bring as they mature even more, the need for Letang becomes less and less imo.

I'm not saying shop him immediately but if all 4 of these guys plus Cole have a strong showing for half of the season next year, i'd seriously consider shopping Letang at the deadline IF our top 6 wing problems still exist which they probably will.

ETA: I didn't read the article btw. Just stating the case that moving Letang soon'ish would make some sense if the young D pan out.

LMFAO. What veteran are we going to have on defense? Moar Scuderi? Moar Lovejoy? Tanger when healthy is one of the top even strength defensemen in the game and eats up minutes like Pac Man.

Harrington while a good prospect isn't ready yet. He was a minus machine for us when he was up last year. The guy has the skills but lets not rush him.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
LMFAO. What veteran are we going to have on defense? Moar Scuderi? Moar Lovejoy? Tanger when healthy is one of the top even strength defensemen in the game and eats up minutes like Pac Man.

Harrington while a good prospect isn't ready yet. He was a minus machine for us when he was up last year. The guy has the skills but lets not rush him.

I hear you but good vet D seem to always be available in FA'y now. It wouldn't be hard to pick one up.

I'm just stating that if the young D we have show us big things next year and into the year after and we still have glaring holes, moving him becomes an option.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I hear you but good vet D seem to always be available in FA'y now. It wouldn't be hard to pick one up.

I'm just stating that if the young D we have show us big things next year and into the year after and we still have glaring holes, moving him becomes an option.

Really? Do you see what "good" vet D's are going for in FA? Niskanen and Orpik prices? Wanna see what Petry gets? He's going to get Nisky/Orpik at the least or more.

These are the available UFA D for this year coming up. Only a few of them would be attractive and they will get courted by almost every team in the league. They are going to get paid. There are a handful of good ones and more there that are along the lines of Lovejoy/Scuderi or long in the tooth in age.

EDIT: Here's the link for UFA D. I ****ed up when taking the image: http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/ufa/defenseman/

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

First of all, the term "good" is subject to a lot of interpretation. Second of all, just because they are available, it doesn't mean they are worth the money. Certainly never the way a successful team goes about filling out their roster as a first or even second option.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

Letang isn't just good. He is a top 5 defensemen in the league.
There is 2-3 defensemen I'd take over him.
We can't trade Letang. What we get back won't be worth it.

If possible. We offer sheet Tarasenko for anything in the 2 1st's 2nd and 3rd range that makes most sense and high chance of us getting him. (I think Toronto has the 2nd so offer are 3rd and 2nd in 2017 to offset getting it back)
Then trade a 2nd for Chiasson.

Top 6 is fixed.
And are defense can be Letang Maatta and Co.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
.... Brandon Sutter is their third line centre, he could easily be a second line centre on almost any other team in the league. Their defense is loaded with talent as well. They’ve done a tremendous job at cultivating their prospects and stocking their cupboards.

.... With the talent the Penguins have in both the AHL and the NHL, they can afford to let Letang go. Who do they trade him for? Why not get another sinper on the wing for Crosby. Or trade to get another, more established goaltender to replace Marc-Andre Fleury. Just some ideas for you, Jim Rutherford.

Is this guy high? It's almost like he's never actually seen or read anything about the Penguins.

Last edited by a moderator:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Listen, i'm not advocating trading Tanger right now.
Just saying it's an option in the future.

And he's Top 12, not Top 5 imo.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Letang isn't just good. He is a top 5 defensemen in the league.
There is 2-3 defensemen I'd take over him.
We can't trade Letang. What we get back won't be worth it.

If possible. We offer sheet Tarasenko for anything in the 2 1st's 2nd and 3rd range that makes most sense and high chance of us getting him. (I think Toronto has the 2nd so offer are 3rd and 2nd in 2017 to offset getting it back)
Then trade a 2nd for Chiasson.

Top 6 is fixed.
And are defense can be Letang Maatta and Co.

Although it would be fantastic to have Tarasanko, giving up all those picks is how we got into this position in the first place.

That's 4 picks, especially 2 1sts, that we need to be keeping. Not to mention, St Louis matches. No way do they let him get away.

I swear, lately, ANY article regarding the Penguins is merely click bait. How many "the Penguins need to trade Malkin or XXXXX" articles have there been?

If this article was written at the end of last season, I may have agreed. Now that we have successfully pissed away our defensive depth as a strength, we can no longer do that. The more I look at it and think about it, the more I'm of the mindset that this team can't not sign a UFA dman. Our depth just isn't there anymore. We can't make a transition from:

Martin, Ehrhoff, Despres to Lovejoy

That's three quality to dmen out and...Lovejoy...in. Can't do it. No way. Not to mention Lovejoy is a UFA after this year and by all accounts should NOT be resigned. With that, I'm worried that Dumoulin and Harrington will not have the time in to be able to fill the gaps they need to.

Letang-Maatta
Pouliot-Dumoulin
Cole-Harrington

for 2016-17...yikes...

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Tarasenko isn't a crap player he's scored 10 of the 22 goals the Blues scored the last 2 years In the playoffs. That half of them (heard that some where)
Will any of the 2 1st's 2nd or 3rd make an impact like Tarasenko I really don't think so.
We don't have talent to play beside Crosby and Malkin let's get that talent.

Look at the Rangers. The GM says screw draft picks let's try for the cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->