Some Thoughts on Goal Songs

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
I want to preface this thread on the fact that I actually quite like "you make my dreams" as a goal song. I know it gets panned a lot throughout the league as being kind of "embarrassing" or too "soft" for hockey but I still like getting up and dancing to the dosset tones of Hall and Oates when the Leafs tickle the twine.

With that being said, sometimes I feel like the song doesn't necessarily fit in certain situations when the Leaf's score. I feel like the song is like the proverbial "montage song" that gets played in movies and isn't always applicable for a leafs goal. However, I personally don't want to abandon the song altogether as I do like it.

So my thoughts were what about having potentially more than 1 goal song. The song that is played would be contingent on the situation on the ice. For example we could have 3 goal songs;
One Is played when the leafs score but are still behind, (maybe something inspirational/motivational picture (but I am not suggesting it be this) a song like "lose yourself"

A different is played if the leafs tie it up, maybe something designed for the opponent to "feel" nervous or something intimidating. Even something like "started from the bottom" would be apropos with a comeback goal.

And finally a potential third song played if it is a go ahead goal or increases a prexisting lead. Something liberating exuberant (maybe hall and oates best suits this goal situation)

Maybe if an empty netter is scored the arena could play something a bit more in your face/cocky, I don't know something like "another one bites the dust" basically saying your done, game is over.

For the record the songs I have mentioned are not the songs I am suggesting they become so don't flame my picks they were given for example basis. But perhaps you can suggest your own that would fit?

Has any team ever really had different goals songs based on situation or period and how has that worked?

Would you support this approach? Why/Why not?

Do you think it would be too confusing for casual fans?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don't think I've missed a Leafs game for maybe five years, and I've never even noticed that we have a goal song.

I take note of 'Sweet Caroline' and 'Right Back Where We Started' and they are now so synonymous with Leafs success for me that I actually somehow like them.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Our goal song is like a soundtrack you play when you go shopping for a training bra and found the right fit.

It needs to be an amp up song.

Like -- Bon Jovi - Shot thru the heartttt and its too late... you give looovvvee a bad namee
* Guitar goes off as Matthews and Nylander celebrate on a goal*

Thatd be awesome imo

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Not enough exploding heads.
We need to have something that matches our speed and skill.
Something, say, European:

So so, du denkst es ist zu spät
aha. Und du meinst,
dass nichts mehr geht, aha.
Und die Sonne wandert schnell, aha.
After all it's set and done
It was right for you to run
Ich liebe dich nicht, du liebst mich nicht, aha
Ich liebe dich nicht, du liebst mich nicht
Da da da
Da da da
Da da da
Da da da
da da da song - Google Search

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
OP, Thanks for the reminder to flip our calendars.
They don’t score enough or win enough to even bother worrying about goal songs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
There are a TON of local artists that better represent the city and hockey. The current music is catered to the suited sushi crowd, not the new fan.
Is there a rink in the league that doesn't serve Sushi? I've never noticed it by my gate but think I've seen it somewhere in the building.
Can you describe this 'new fan'?

During this months goal song thread, I’ll just say that now I look for, and notice, A LOT of people dancing to the song when the Leafs score. Try to notice it next time they score.
I don't care one way or another about the goal song but I know my two daughters (16, 13) both sing and dance to it.
They've been fans for a while now, not sure if they fit into the 'new fan' category .

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Atmosphere at Leafs games is not very good. The music is awful.
Remember: at least 25% of the people at a weeknight Leafs game could just as easily and happily not be there, and at least 10% do not care about the Leafs at all.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't think I've missed a Leafs game for maybe five years, and I've never even noticed that we have a goal song.

I take note of 'Sweet Caroline' and 'Right Back Where We Started' and they are now so synonymous with Leafs success for me that I actually somehow like them.

I've never understood how those relate to goals scored. I mean the word "sweet", really vague but OK maybe but the other one, I just don't get it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I've never understood how those relate to goals scored. I mean the word "sweet", really vague but OK maybe but the other one, I just don't get it.
Neither of those are goal songs.
They play 'Right back Where We Started' after a win and 'Sweet Caroline' during a TV timeout(not every game though).

Reactions: The Missing Piece

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Neither of those are goal songs.
They play 'Right back Where We Started' after a win and 'Sweet Caroline' during a TV timeout(not every game though).

Ok well I don't understand that either. Foreshadowing that we lose the next one?

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
Get a good playoff run listening to Hall and Oates and most people here will love it. Except maybe the old people here who need a song more masculine for their taste.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->