Some specific stat help please

jarmoismyhero

Mar 18, 2012
St. Louis
This is a question for any and all stat junkies out there. Would love any input I can get.

So I am and always have been a huge stat junkie in baseball and hockey and to a lesser extent basketball (NBA just because I love arguing and discussing all time great lists and why etc). Baseball is the sport I am best at and a lot of that is because of the historical importance of stats but more so due to my knowledge of advanced stats. I love nothing more then to sit there and start comparing player vs. player for a good argument on who is the best at position x of all time etc.

So as hockey is getting more and more advanced stats I am getting my passion level for hockey almost to par with baseball however the one big problem I am running into is I am not always sure how important a stat is or how valuable a stat is. I like most people who like stats love some of the advanced stats sites but my favorite is hockey-reference.

So when I am looking at a player page I would like to get opinions on how valuable you think the following stats are:
Point Shares (offensive, defensive, goalie, and total)
Adjusted Point Shares
Goals Created (also on a per game level)
Adjusted Goals, Assists, Points

I feel like they are probably incredible to use when looking up who is better than who etc. but since I do not know the different non rate stats for hockey like I do for baseball I would like to get some insight.

One more thing for those of you who like to use advanced defensive stats, which advanced stats for defensemen do you all think are the most useful to see how great a defensemen was at playing D. I mean I get some of them but just want some of other posters opinions as I have seen some awesome studies put together by people on here.

Sorry for the long post and as many replies as I can get would be appreciated.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Ok look Mr. Nonis... I know you've been freaking out over the last weeks and all... But seriously, don't be afraid to ask Kyle anything. He's more than happy to explain it all to ya, or at least try to.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Point Shares (offensive, defensive, goalie, and total)/Adjusted Point Shares

Has some serious flaws... maybe OK for looking at ballpark range for career value.

Goals Created (also on a per game level)
Adjusted Goals, Assists, Points

Adjusted is best for measuring offensive production.
However, be aware that HR's GC formula and adjusted G/A/P/GC formulas are each flawed, although I believe the errors are usually relatively small.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad