News Article: Some Pretty Good Stuff from the Athletic on the 1987 Canada Cup

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Personally, it was the greatest tournament I ever had a chance to watch. Was a youngster back then but I remember how fantastic that final 3-game series was.

I was at the round robin CANADA-USA game in Hamilton. Got the CANADA Cup program somewhere in a box in my house.

My brother was at Game 2 of the Final. Lucky bastard!

TSN showed the 3-game series last week with studio commentary from the likes of Larry Murphy, Igor Larionov and Mike Keenan.

One story had Gretzky inviting Krutov, Larionov and Makarov over to his families house for a BBQ. Victor Tikhonov would not let his guys go unless he went along. When they got there Gretzky and Co. were having a few pops but the Russian guys were not allowed to partake in front of their coach. I think Larry Murphy mentioned they ended up going down to the basement to sneak a few. :laugh:

Per Gretzky at a function I attended here in Hamilton a few years back, Team Canada was not too thrilled about Games 2 and 3 being played in Hamilton instead of Toronto, however they were blown away by the crowd and atmosphere.

Reactions: KINGS17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad