Some opinions on random AHL level prospects, pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorneliusBennet

Nov 29, 2004
Should I merge this into the first thread? A mod can if that's appropriate. Anyway, some thoughts, feel free to contradict, complain or whatever. Again, these are based on limited viewing and I retain the right to change my opinion the more I see of any of these players. Having covered my (koho's) completely...

Steve (don't call me 'Stephen' because I can't spell it) Weiss: (in my best david spade imitation) "buh bye." He's the anti-Keenan player. He's on the next train out of Fla and I can see why. I am 100% sure Keenan will not tolerate him at the NHL level and I'm also pretty sure (there's always a degree of uncertainty I suppose) he's not long for Fla once (if?) the NHL starts up again. He's not big and there's Mike's biggest issue. He's easilly knocked off the puck. He lacks defensive awareness. He is a highly touted finesse prospect who I'm sure Keenan is salivating to throw to the dogs. I saw him manhandled at least two or three times a game (if he ever does time in prison...) and I'm sure that Keenan sees that as well. Weiss has nice vision of the ice and has made some dandy passes (hey, so did Craig Janney...) but he's not Keenan material. I also am not sure if he's really a top 6 forward at the NHL level (prospect-wise, of course.) He's a shifty skater, as I mentioned he is a creative passer. I've seen little reason to think he's going to be a 'finisher' or goal scorer at the NHL level, however, but SA has had serious goal scoring troubles all year long anyway (and what do you know, Weiss is their primary playmaking forward.) Weiss leads the team in scoring but that's not saying a whole lot. Jury very, very much out on Mr. Weiss, IMO.

Tomas Kopecky - I haven't really been impressed. I was reading the analysis of the writer for HF and he referred to TK as 'smart' and man, I don't agree, based on what I've seen. Matter of fact, I'd say just the opposite at this point. I'm not sure where he is in his adjustment to the smaller rinks and the NAmerican style as I haven't looked up his stats so I don't know when he came over but he hasn't demonstrated much in the way of overall results. I suppose I can see the skill that led to him being deemed a prospect but to assume, as the guy who wrote the profile at hockeysfuture does (not to start a thing here...) that he's going to be in the NHL is sort of a long shot. Let's see him start producing at the AHL level, first, okay? I know Grand Rapids, while having skill, is a small team and TK represents one of the only Detroit prospects with any size, it doesn't mean he's going to succeed (although his size alone may get him a cup of coffee) at the NHL level. He has a long, long way to go, but he's young. I'd still not expect to see him for another year, minimum. Just my opinion.

Simon Gamanche - Yeah, he's putting up the numbers at the AHL level but he isn't going to do so at the NHL level, IMO. He isn't strong enough, fast enough or... well, that pretty much rules him out. He can do nice things with the puck at reasonable speed but he lacks the first step quickness esp. in the offensive zone that will enable him to make the plays he does at the AHL level up in the NHL. He is also one of those guys that is rather easilly knocked off the puck. So, in summation, he's yet another classic 'tweener.' Wow, the AHL is their purgatory. Hope you get a comfortable spot, Simon, I think it's where you're going to stay, unless watered down expansion spots open up. If you give the guy time and space, say on the power play, at the NHL level he will put up the occasional point but he's useless in his own zone based on what I've seen. No coach will sign up for that, unless desperate.

Timofei Shiskanov - I've been really impressed at times. He's made some mad plays, particulary in traffic areas around the net, and has demonstrated the ability to play at a notch above the competition at the AHL level. I suppose that means we're looking at a guy who *will* play at the NHL level. His character will determine his success, though, and the jury's still out. He has all the tools he needs. Despite being listed as smaller than Kopecky, he gives the appearance of greater size. Uses his body much better. Protects the puck with it. Can get his shot away in traffic as I mentioned which is where he'll be effective. Has the speed to beat guys to the outside as well. He can beat you a number of different ways. He doesn't always bring his "A" game to the ice but he's young and a powerforward so what do you expect? His attention to defensive assignments is, as you'd guess, not sterling. Not that he's not capable of playing well in his own zone but something tells me he'll never make it a priority. He can certainly be a contributing top 6 forward on the NHL based on what he's shown so far, esp. for a team that could use some help up front.

Scottie Upshall - I like him a lot. He has always displayed a nice presence on the ice in each of the games I've seen so far. I was also pretty impressed with his play at the NHL level when I saw him (does anyone remember the NHL?) but I don't see his offensive upside as being that of a true top line, point producing forward. I'd be surprised if the kid surpassed 65 points in any given year, not that that's bad, but he seems just as likely to settle into a 50+ a year point guy who plays with attitude and does some solid work in his own zone, which is a guy I'd always want on my team. A very solid support (in the best sense of the word) player at the NHL level, IMO.

Kevin Klein - He's married to that hottie from Fast Times at Ridgemont High so he can't be doing too badly for himself. Anyway I've only seen him 3 times so my impressions of him are more limited than for the rest of the Ads. Anywho, this is all moot as I don't really have much of an impression formed of the guy. He's an understated, stay at home dman (but not a hulking, immobile sort) who has made some nice outlet passes (I'm going off my game notes here) and some nice defensive reads. Whoever said he's a "B-grade" Kevin Lowe was on to something (as opposed to be simply "on something" I guess) but that's asssuming KK continues to develop. I've heard some mixed reviews regarding his first year play but he's young and a dman so nobody is forming any lasting opinions. Some seem to feel his offensive upside is underrated and based on the fact that he seems to read the play well and sees the ice pretty well I see no reason why that can't be true. I have no notes regarding his shot so it didn't make any impression one way or the other. My gut feeling is that he's going to develop into a reliable, two way dman who, if not top 4, will certainly contribute well to a solid group of 6 for some team at the NHL level. His upside could be that of a solid #4 guy or he could compliment a 'higher end' offensive dman nicely.

That's it for this edition. Hope there's something of interest to any of you.

CorneliusBennet

Nov 29, 2004
McDonald19 said:
I remember at the 2001 draft Weiss was compared to Yzerman and Sakic...now he won't make it as a top 6 forward?

Oh, c'mon, I remember Jason Bonsignore was compared to Mario....

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
McDonald19 said:
I remember at the 2001 draft Weiss was compared to Yzerman and Sakic...now he won't make it as a top 6 forward?

Todd Warriner and Brandon Convery were also both widely compared to Yzerman when they were top-10 picks. Didn't help them much either.

CorneliusBennet

Nov 29, 2004
MS said:
Todd Warriner and Brandon Convery were also both widely compared to Yzerman when they were top-10 picks. Didn't help them much either.

well, let's be fair, it *did* help Brandon Convery get chicks. "Hey, baby, you know I've been compared to Steve Yzerman" is a great opening line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad