Some old school right here

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
So was at mom's house the other day and stumbled upons some old Isles stuff I had while growing up. Sharing some pics from Isles v Edmonton in 1984 along with some calendar pics. Two ridiculously good teams.

(I feel like I may have shared some of these before? not sure).

IMG_0270.JPGIMG_0269.JPGIMG_0268.JPG
IMG_0267.JPG
IMG_0265.JPGIMG_0264.JPGIMG_0263.JPGIMG_0261.JPGIMG_0260.JPGIMG_0259.JPGIMG_0258.JPGIMG_0257.JPGIMG_0256.JPGIMG_0255.JPGIMG_0254.JPGIMG_0253.JPGIMG_0252.JPGIMG_0249.JPGIMG_0248.JPGCapture5.JPGCapture4.jpgCapture3.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture1.JPG

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Do the Isles win in 1984, if the NHL hadn't changed the playoff format to the (2-3-2)?

At the very least, I think it goes six or seven.

Reactions: 12Dog and Osakahaus

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
A big upvote from me leading off your post with JT.

The pictures of Smitty in comparison to today’s goalies are remarkably different. They say the equipment hasn’t gotten bigger so is it just that today’s goalies are typically 6’ 2” or more?

For those that never saw him play, he was the best money goalie ever.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Better yet, how would the loser point have factored into their success?
In the playoffs not at all. But in all seriousness, would've loved to see Bossy chump goalies in the shootout. Billy Smith likely manages to trip/slash half a dozen players a year.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Not sure about that. Isles were pretty beat up and Oilers were younger, hungrier, and their roster was an All Star team.
Yeah but the league just made sure of it. Can’t remember the details but I think Bossy’s thumb was broken and Potvin had just lost his father before that series as well. They could have made it 5 if the stars aligned.

A client of mine and I were just reminiscing about the dynasty Isles the other day. He’s a goalie coach who used to play goaltender when Lou Lamiorello was head coach at Providence College. Turns out he worked alongside Billy Smith as a goaltending coach at the Rinks goaltending academy. He gave me a signed hockey puck from Billy Smith as a small Christmas gift. He still keeps in touch with Lou and Smitty up to this day. Apparently Lou was just as strict a head coach as he was later in his career. He used to make everything do skating drills until you puked regardless of which position you played.

More on the last playoff series for my Dynasty Isles:

NY Times

Last edited:
Reactions: The Real JT

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Yeah but the league just made sure of it. Can’t remember the details but I think Bossy’s thumb was broken and Potvin had just lost his father before that series as well. They could have made it 5 if the stars aligned.

A client of mine and I were just reminiscing about the dynasty Isles the other day. He’s a goalie coach who used to play goaltender when Lou Lamiorello was head coach at Providence College. Turns out he worked alongside Billy Smith as a goaltending coach at the Rinks goaltending academy. He gave me a signed hockey puck from Billy Smith as a small Christmas gift. He still keeps in touch with Lou and Smitty up to this day. Apparently Lou was just as strict a head coach as he was later in his career. He used to make everything do skating drills until you puked regardless of which position you played.

More on the last playoff series for my Dynasty Isles:

NY Times
Thanks for sharing that link.

Just reading a handful of paragraphs regarding the end of the Isles dynasty run makes me realize how great the journalists were back then. Those were the days when people paid to read newspapers and before knuckleheads like Biz were legitimized by the uninformed masses.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Not sure about that. Isles were pretty beat up and Oilers were younger, hungrier, and their roster was an All Star team.
The Isles were chewed up at that point. Look at all the guys that retired or dropped in production precipitously not long after. 5 years all the way through of playoff hockey is a lot of milage. You'd see guys at the end of playoff runs and they looked like they dropped 15 pounds and had been machine gunned.

Reactions: Barzaltrick

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Here’s another article I noticed that was available from the same paper:

NY Times

Even the Dynasty Isles had their ups and downs through the years.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Even the Dynasty Isles were accused of retreating and getting peppered by a ton of shots but found ways to win.

NY Times

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
A lot of people remember domination. I don't. I remember the playoffs being nail biters the entire time.
I also remember them always finding a way to win regardless if the games were close or if they had to come back from behind. They always believed in themselves and played to win. They had a swagger about them. That made it harder to accept that their reign was over. Even when LaFontaine's 2 goals appeared to be the start of another miracle comeback in that team's final championship game, I believed they were going to pull it off. When they lost and I saw Arbour pacing the bench angry rather than shocked I think we all knew it was over. Al was a fighter, but his team in the end was only human.

Reactions: Barzaltrick

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Even the Dynasty Isles were accused of retreating and getting peppered by a ton of shots but found ways to win.

NY Times
Those articles were great - thanks for posting. I'm really glad there wasn't an internet back then, especially in '78 and '79. And I had forgotten that they lost the first two games of the BUF series in '80 - funny that the article mentions some NVMC fans yelled "chokers" at the time. That was their rep among other teams' fans, and plenty of Isles' fans too. The dynasty made people forget that.

The Resch + Tambellini for McEwen trade made the dynasty possible. In game 5 against PIT everyone talks about Tonelli, but McEwen was right up there with JT in making that comeback happen.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
The Isles were chewed up at that point. Look at all the guys that retired or dropped in production precipitously not long after. 5 years all the way through of playoff hockey is a lot of milage. You'd see guys at the end of playoff runs and they looked like they dropped 15 pounds and had been machine gunned.
Another reason the consecutive playoff series wins will be incredibly hard to top, in any sport
There’s a myriad of reasons why, salary caps are a major issue, but the playing of that many more high intensity games per year def takes its toll

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad