Some of the Winnipeg Jets? top talent lies outside the borders of Canada

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
erik_foley_providence_010816-1.jpg
Photo: Winnipeg Jets prospect Erik Foley has grown into an inspirational role for his Providence College team that is undefeated since January (courtesy of Richard T. Gagnon/Getty Images)

</p>The Winnipeg Jets have put together one of the most impressive prospect groups in hockey, with tremendous talents all over the hockey world. Young NHLers like Nik Ehlers, Joel Armia and Marko Dano – brought over in the Andrew Ladd deal – are nearly established as difference-makers. Although the AHL squad, the Manitoba Moose, has not had the veterans for a competitive season, there is plenty of hope in the forms of young guys like Connor Hellebuyck, Nic Petan, and Josh Morrissey.… read more

The post Some of the Winnipeg Jets’ top talent lies outside the borders of Canada appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
He's a fun player to watch. He's been playing on their top line when healthy. Hasn't scored quite like one would hope, but not poorly at all either.

He was a bit of a project with solid skills at the draft. I guess I'd say he's taken a step forward but not huge.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
There is a conspiracy theory amongst some on twitter that the Jets deliberately pick Americans going to the NCAA so they won't have to pay them for several years if they are not going to be in the NHL.

I don't believe this conspiracy theory but some will use it to explain this

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
There is a conspiracy theory amongst some on twitter that the Jets deliberately pick Americans going to the NCAA so they won't have to pay them for several years if they are not going to be in the NHL.

Well that's just silly theory, isn't it? In some cases, NCAA players may better align with when you expect roster players to move into your line-up. In other cases, they're simply BPA (See: Connor).

Should the Jets have not chosen Connor when they did? He was absolutely BPA at the time.

A number of goalies have been chosen - their longer development period coincides well with staying in the NCAA while receiving an education. Selecting NCAA players with later draft picks seems like a reasonable gamble to me - if you expect them to take longer to develop, why not go this route?

I think it's an overly simplistic and not well though out notion.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Aye. With the NCAA route, you get up to 4 years to watch the development of a player whom you may consider a project pick as opposed to the 2 you get in the CHL. It allows for better risk management so you're not letting potentially great depth players get re-drafted after 2 years because the original team didn't like the dev curve. I would prefer late round picks be spent on NCAA and Euro league players.

Niku remains an interesting pick. He went much later than projected, and is having a relatively good D+1 year. Hope his dev continues to remain positive.

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

The bolded tells me pretty much what I need to know....:sarcasm:

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
I think the Jets have a scout or scouts that they trust very much when viewing guys in the USHL

Yeah, I admit that I usually question some of the USHL picks because I'm not familiar at all with the level of talent that's there. Considering Kyle Connor's performance there and subsequent dominance in the NCAA, we've thankfully got someone there who knows the USHL better than I do :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad