Some news...a new Panthers podcast with Steve Goldstein

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Great listen! Definitely hoping for more of these podcasts. Could do without the commercials, especially 5 minutes into the damn thing.

I like how Friedman indirectly took a shot “if you thought you were a contender and Barkov was in his last year, you go for it”. Completely disagree btw.

Kinnear seems like a good dude.

McCabe has an awesome job.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Great listen! Definitely hoping for more of these podcasts. Could do without the commercials, especially 5 minutes into the damn thing.

I like how Friedman indirectly took a shot “if you thought you were a contender and Barkov was in his last year, you go for it”. Completely disagree btw.

Kinnear seems like a good dude.

McCabe has an awesome job.

I get the whole commercials thing, trust me lol. With the time, the thinking is that if it's early on, odds are people will listen because they want to hear the rest of the episode. They're only a minute long so it's not too bad...I regularly listen to some podcasts, namely The Verge and The Daring Fireball (2 incredibly popular tech podcasts) where their ads are like mini infomercials and they repeat everything 10 times, usually a few minutes long at minimum. If i'm in a position where I'm able to, I usually skip past them with the 15 second skip button (on iPhone).

Admittedly, people are paying for these ads, so I gotta play 'em. Hopefully the content makes it worth the 2-3 mins total of ads out of 45+ mins of content. Both Goldie and I put some time into these so gotta get paid somehow ;) We'll look into rotating in some shorter ads too on some episodes.

Thanks for the feedback!

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
I get the whole commercials thing, trust me lol. With the time, the thinking is that if it's early on, odds are people will listen because they want to hear the rest of the episode. They're only a minute long so it's not too bad...I regularly listen to some podcasts, namely The Verge and The Daring Fireball (2 incredibly popular tech podcasts) where their ads are like mini infomercials and they repeat everything 10 times, usually a few minutes long at minimum. If i'm in a position where I'm able to, I usually skip past them with the 15 second skip button (on iPhone).

Admittedly, people are paying for these ads, so I gotta play 'em. Hopefully the content makes it worth the 2-3 mins total of ads out of 45+ mins of content. Both Goldie and I put some time into these so gotta get paid somehow ;) We'll look into rotating in some shorter ads too on some episodes.

Thanks for the feedback!
Incorporating ads by having Goldie basically say the ad himself could be a good way to include it but not have the negative connotation associated with a full commercial. Just a practice I've heard in some other pods.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Nice first Episode. listen good and i didn´t have something against the ads. I mean listen Hockey Broadcast in US Radio, has more funnier commerciels.
But what i like mostly promoted People around the Florida Area and a few Season Ticket Holder.

Lets see what brings Episode 2.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Live read ads are pretty typical for podcasts. It's better than radio because you can skip past it if you want.

I enjoyed the first episode and I subscribed. I think it felt a little rushed and Goldie still has his TV/ broadcast interview voice, rather than a more conversational relaxed vibe you get from other podcasts. But the guests were great, especially since we did a bit of a deeper dive on our prospects/roster. Usually when the Panthers are mentioned on other podcasts, it's to make fun of us or a quick word of praise about Luongo or Barkov. It was nice to learn more about the McCanns, Montembeaults, Stillmans, Weegars, McCoshens of the world. Stillman seems like a real confident kid.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Listened to the McCann one. Good stuff.

Goldie is a great interviewer. I’m hoping McCann continues to make strides, he seems like he can be a solid 3C for us.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
A few things urked me about the Goldie one with McCann:

1) Goldie and McCann referring to Gudbranson as a "good player"
2) McCann saying that mackenzie holds players accountable for mistakes. Can you imagine mackenzie telling Trocheck and Barkov how to play hockey? Christ.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013

2) McCann saying that mackenzie holds players accountable for mistakes. Can you imagine mackenzie telling Trocheck and Barkov how to play hockey? Christ.
But in that sense how can any coach hold their player accountable for mistakes? If only the best at the sport were able to/allowed to teach then Wayne's stint behind the bench would've gone differently and a lot of the current NHL coaching workforce would be searching for work.

Reactions: PSLguy

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
New episode...Goldie spent some time with McCann:

iTunes / Apple Podcasts: Goldie On Ice Podcast by Steve Goldstein on Apple Podcasts
Google Play: Episode 2: Jared McCann - Goldie On Ice Podcast
Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/s?eid=55376792
Podbean:

McCann still sounds pretty jittery in this interview, especially there in the beginning it's like he's just repeating the same 5-10 pre-scribted "correct" phrases. Anyway props to Goldie for getting him more comfortable and getting some actual meaningful answers out of him :)

Last edited:
Reactions: batting1k

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL

1. Because “man we were all a little shocked when they traded Gudbranson for you, but damn, looking back, what a steal. Turns out that guy f***ing blows” would’ve caused some PR backlash.

2. Yeah, like others have said, you can know the game/off-ice issues pretty well and still not be physically able to play. I mean our head coach is a former enforcer, why learn that system either?

Reactions: batting1k

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I liked both podcasts. I like McCann, that OT goal against Toronto had me pumped. Hopefully he takes it to another level this season.

-ghoste

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Sorry there is one thing i still dont get it.
Yes both podcast has something for there own, Goldie keep it more jornalism more usual, while TT is more easier famliar talk.

But how in the World can you have the same Audio issue over 20 Episodes. Saying we are working on it, dont forget its Franchise work, posted on own HP.
And Goldies Podcast is privat, only 2 Episodes and has a clear Audio signal since Episode Zero, that makes me think.
Its strange for me that a privat podcast is technical better then a podcast running from a Company. :sarcasm::huh::huh:

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

Would you think either one - especially McCann - would come out and say "Gudbranson sucks! Hahaha!"?

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Would you think either one - especially McCann - would come out and say "Gudbranson sucks! Hahaha!"?

Obviously not, but they didn't need to ham it up that badly! "He's a good guy, trains really hard, and I like him" would have been sufficient. Good player? Please. He wasn't a good player at the time of the trade. He was a good Panther and well liked, but never a good player.

Goldie keep it more jornalism more usual
McCann still sounds pretty jittery in this interview, especially there in the beginning it's like he's just repeating the same 5-10 pre-scribted "correct" phrases. Anyway props to Goldie for getting him more comfortable and getting some actual meaningful answers out of him :)

The whole interview was pre scripted pro sports interview drivel. Let's get real here.

Last edited:

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Obviously not, but they didn't need to ham it up that badly! "He's a good guy, trains really hard, and I like him" would have been sufficient. Good player? Please. He wasn't a good player at the time of the trade. He was a good Panther and well liked, but never a good player.

The whole interview was pre scripted pro sports interview drivel. Let's get real here.

Hey, I can’t force you to listen or to even like the content at all. All I *can* is say thank you if you do end up listening and for taking time out of your day to do so. :)

Last edited:

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Hey, I can’t force you to listen or to even like the content at all. All I *can* is say thank you if you do end up listening and for taking time out of your day to do so. :)

You're welcome. For the record, the Doug and Jameson's podcast is a little more my taste. Goes past some of the redundancy of a typical, journalistic approach. To be fair, that's how goldie was trained and he's just doing his job. Asking the canned questions and getting the canned answers. However, I'm grateful that we have either, because hockey is so seldom covered here. So again thank you. I just call it like I see and refuse to participate in the sugarcoating that goes on in here.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
You're welcome. For the record, the Doug and Jameson's podcast is a little more my taste. Goes past some of the redundancy of a typical, journalistic approach. To be fair, that's how goldie was trained and he's just doing his job. Asking the canned questions and getting the canned answers. However, I'm grateful that we have either, because hockey is so seldom covered here. So again thank you. I just call it like I see and refuse to participate in the sugarcoating that goes on in here.

That’s totally fine. That’s why it’s good that we have a couple of options at least so people can either choose the one they like or listen to both. If we’re honest, some players are always trained the same way, they’ll always give those “scripted” answers no matter what you ask them, it’s just their nature. I hope you’ll come back though, because it won’t just be players that come on to talk, we’ve already had McCabe, Kinnear, and Elliotte Friedman on and I think all three had a lot of valuable things to say aside from the usual canned stuff. Again, thanks for your listening time. :)

Last edited:

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Sorry for interuption. I find it strange to discuss which Podcast is better. I am happy to have 2 Podcast to choose or listen, i mean its been only 1 Year back where we had more or less ZERO Podcast for our Team.
Batting1k stopped his own project about his study. So i take anything i can get to listen a bit more then the News feed, from the Florida Panthers HP and FB Page.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Sorry for interuption. I find it strange to discuss which Podcast is better. I am happy to have 2 Podcast to choose or listen, i mean its been only 1 Year back where we had more or less ZERO Podcast for our Team.
Batting1k stopped his own project about his study. So i take anything i can get to listen a bit more then the News feed, from the Florida Panthers HP and FB Page.

Nope, not trying to say one is better than the other at all. They’re both good in my opinion. Like it’s been said already, I’m glad there are multiple options for the fans. That’s all that matters, giving people good Panthers content

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Nope, not trying to say one is better than the other at all. They’re both good in my opinion. Like it’s been said already, I’m glad there are multiple options for the fans. That’s all that matters, giving people good Panthers content

Sorry @batting1k i should Quote @Android 16 Post. My Post was more adressed to Anfroid then yours, cause we both have the same sight on the Situation.
Two Podcast are better then none, no matter who everyone by themself choose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad