Some Kari Lehtonen highlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
What's Kari's Height and Weight now? He's gotten bigger mass wise everytime I see him. Those Fins have some killer weight programs it seems, Noronen got ripped too.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Fins will have three star goaltenders in the future with Ahonen, Lehtonen and Noronen. Those three are amazing. Lehtonen like I said before is the best goaltender since Roy.....he will be better then Hasek and Brodeur. He may win the Vezina next year if given the chance.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
ChickFlick said:
Toivonen, Rämö, Ahlqvist are all better in future than ahonen and norronen
Considering they've proved nothing at the AHL level let alone the NHL level I disagree.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
ChickFlick said:
Toivonen, Rämö, Ahlqvist are all better in future than ahonen and norronen
I forgot about Toivonen but Rämö and Ahlqvist are not even in NA so they are leagues behind Ahonen and Noronen. Hell Ahlqvist wasn't even drafted. You are off the block.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
ChickFlick said:
that's why I said in future. saw Ahlqvist live in friendly where he shut out sweden :cry: he made some terrific saves, calm yet extremely good reflexes
So what, Ahonen is playing in a much much better league on a horrible team and is the only reason why they won over 10 games.

Testify

Jun 24, 2004
Buffalo will have to make decision about their goaltender.. I mean Noronen, Miller all pushing to the top position..

any clue on what might happen?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Wow. Those saves are amazing. This kid can play. Atlanta is a very lucky team with their incredibly talented youth. In 5 years they ae going to be dangerous...

Heatley
Kovalchuk
Lehtonen
Coburn

Solid start...

They have their top line players, thier number 1 D (or at worst number 2) and a future star goalie. If they can assemble any kind of team around these kids they'll be a force

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
s7ark said:
Wow. Those saves are amazing. This kid can play. Atlanta is a very lucky team with their incredibly talented youth. In 5 years they ae going to be dangerous...

Heatley
Kovalchuk
Lehtonen
Coburn

Solid start...

They have their top line players, thier number 1 D (or at worst number 2) and a future star goalie. If they can assemble any kind of team around these kids they'll be a force
Kovalchuk-Savard-Heatley
Valabik-Colburn
Lehtonen

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
This kid is a treat to watch! He is so young and so poised out there, even high level situations seem routine for him. He is going to be outstanding!!!

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
What's the big deal with those saves on the highlight video? I think they are rather ordinary for Lehtonen.

gib

Feb 3, 2004
MaV said:
What's the big deal with those saves on the highlight video? I think they are rather ordinary for Lehtonen.

I haven`t seen Lehtonen`s games since he left Finland, but I don`t think those saves are "rather ordinary". Of course he makes a lot of terrific saves, but you shouldn`t "underestimate" those saves. Now it sound that those saves were easy for Lehtonen and that he can make even more incredible saves. Even if he is maybe the most promising goalie prospect on earth, those saves aren`t that ordinary even for him.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
He was the only thing that kept Chicago alive that long. He had the 3rd best SV% in the AHL playoffs, and the 2 goalies before him only played a few games, and so did the one with the same SV%.

EDIT: You can't forget about Tuukka Rask when talking about future finnish G prospects. The kid's amazing.

Last edited:

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
In fairness to Lehtonen, he has proven he can play in the AHL aswell as dominate in Finland. Rask definitley has all the tools to be great but as we've seen with so many European goalies, they come over and it takes forever for them to learn the game here. Lehtonen will be great, of that there is little doubt, with Rask at this point there is some apprehension.

X-SHARKIE

Hey thanks so much for the highlights.

I actually was at the game and I was able to see each and every game between those two in the series but I was able to attend that game my self.

Big thanks because I told my dad about the 2nd save on the clip were he flipped around and got it with his glove, and he didnt believe me that such a big man could be so agile.

He's going to be a super star, simply put, best goalie in the NHL down the road, i'm glad I stuck to my guns durring the Fleury hype, Lehtonen is awesome!

Edit: Finland is simply producing some of the best goaltenders in the world for their age. Another up and comer as well is Germany who has to be the 2nd best goaltender factory in Europe.

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
Any idea why Finland produces great goalies.

Is it that there is one (or a few) superior coaches? The best athletes are attracted to goal? Do the developmental leagues somehow promote goalies? Anomolous statistical chance? None of the above?

I agree that great goalies are coming out but I cannot understand why the country is pounding out so many good ones.

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
I wanted to add that I saw Kari several times this year and was simply amazed by his skill. But even more than that, the Thrashers seemed to play much, much better in front of him. They were calmer as a squad and much more focused defensively.

The first night, I just thought that the team was trying to help the kid in his first NHL game. But then they played that way every night out. That was unusual for them.

I had heard that other great goalies could do that for their clubs, but I've never closely followed a team with such a goalie to understand the phenomena. I hesitate to say this but here goes: Kari reminds me very much of Ken Dryden. His style, his efficiency, his size and his effect on a team--even the way he stands when he takes a rest.

Now if we can only find a Robinson, Lamaire and Mahovlich (a Lafleur we already have!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->