Some guy on TSN just said that if Malkin was Canadian....

• Thread starter joe_shannon_1983*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
octopi said:
Yeah, just like he's never been shut down or minus in the NHL on any given night. Lets all remember how good the Pens were supposed to be . Obviously, their ineptitude is in no way Crosby fault, however they are a rather incohesive team that plays sloppy defense. Hmmm, sounds a little like Russia was tonight. Brutal defence on the first goal, bad on the second, and it just snowballed.

Oh and 2002 Colorado Avalanche, WCF finals. Lost 7-0 with Sakic and Forsberg playing. Absolute anomaly.

All I'm saying is that I think Crosby would have done more as a 19 year old against juniors.

And I'm not saying that Malkin is crap... but to call him head and shoulders above Crosby is insane.

Pens75

Pens Fan Since 1975
Jul 30, 2005
Duquesne Gardens
octopi said:
Lets all remember how good the Pens were supposed to be . Obviously, their ineptitude is in no way Crosby fault, however they are a rather incohesive team that plays sloppy defense.

Which Penguins? ;)

I know your not talking about the WBS Penguins, best record in professional hockey.

I know your not talking about the Pittsburgh Penguins under Coach Therrien, they are doing well.

Oh... you must be talking about the Pittsburgh Penguins under Coach Olczyk, that's only in the history books now.

:)

Last edited:

Nihilism

May 2, 2003
Canada
ferns8916 said:
Isn't this over-rating Malkin a little bit? Just a little?

Very much so. TSN has been overrating the Americans and Russians on purpose to build up a story line and help there ratings.

As for Malkin vs Crosby, lets wait until Malkin atleast play a game in the NHL.

The Crosby-haters, most of whom are Canadian, are just looking for any excuse to put him down.

Vic Rattlehead*

When Malkin comes to the NHL, he'll be 20, two years older than when Crosby was a rookie.

It'll be tough to compare to two, but what Crosby is doing at the age of 18 in the NHL is out of this world.

Galchenkel

Nov 9, 2003
Saint Pierre
twitter.com
RUSqueelin said:
First - it was a Russian reporter making the comment.

Second - I hope Ovechkin would be ripping up the tourney this year. He's overage.

Ovechkin, Malkin, and Crosby and the best three young players on the planet and would be neck and neck and neck for the calder had Malkin joined the NHL.

The only difference is Crosby is 18, Malkin is 19, and Ovechkin is 21.

if you consider crosby 18 and malkin 19, then ovechkin is 20.

they were born in 1987, 1986 and 1985. :dunno:

shealy04

Oct 20, 2005
Nova Scotia
Oilerfan120582 said:
Ah good old HF boards. Crosby puts up over a point per game in the NHL as an 18 year old and yet people claim that he has nowhere near the ability of a guy who is older and has yet to play a game in the big league. Of course, with solid arguments like "Malkin>Crosby", how can anyone possibly deny their assertions?

Malkin, Ovechkin, and Crosby are all amazing prospects and I look forward to watching them play for years to come. Time will tell who is the best of the three.

:clap: well played, bravo! i couldn't have said it better myself, i was also moved by the malkin>crosby argument, i couldn't agree more after i watched crosby play mine and his favourite team at the bell centre tuesday. he completely dominated the game, scoring two goals, hitting the post twice, and just missing an empty, while drawing many penalties, and just being the all-round best player on the ice... buttttttt he DEFININTLY pales in comparisan to the best player in the world NOT in the NHL.

Let's give it a year before we claim Malkin is the best young player in the world. Let him prove himself in the best league in the world, not an elite league and a tournament where he was a man among boys.

Crosby is YOUNGER than Malkin (Crosby could play in the tourney next year as well!) , and I can guarantee you he would have torn the tournament apart just as much as Malkin did had he have been released for it... but that is impossible because he is one of the best players in the NHL right now... not the best player in an inferior league.

Sorry for the rant, but I just can't take all the undeserved Crosby-bashing, the kid is amazing and you can't argue against his talent.

Malurous

Dec 14, 2005
Slitty said:
Malkin dominated this tournament more than Ovechkin did last year, both flubbed in the games against Canada and only showed little bits of their true talent.

Malkin dominates the RSL this year and did better BOTH this year and last than Ovechkin did last year.

These two paragraphs, in my view, are the big point here. Malkin is the same age now as Ovechkin was last year, and Malkin was better now than Ovechkin last year. To make it more impressive, Ovechkin had Malkin last year, while Malkin did not have Ovechkin. Even though they didn't play together too much last year, teams had a hard time to choose whom to shut down.

Also, last year Malkin had a very comparable season to Ovechkin's in the RSL despite being a year younger AND being more of a playmaker, he suffers from the local no second assists rule. And, more importantly, Malkin is now the same age as Ovechkin was last year and dominates the league. AO was a good player, but didn't dominate like that. Also, Malkin is obviously still more of a work in progress physically etc, but, a lot like Gretzky (note, I'm not comparing them talent-wise, as I doubt we'll ever see another talent like Wayne Gretzky), his vision and creativity make everyone forget the physical limits. And right now they help him dominate the second-best league in the world. As someone said, at least a star in the NHL.

espo*

Malkin is not better then Crosby.he's damn good though.He and the croz will be make a lot of nhl teams pay in the near future.Just wait until those two guys are on the same team....................pitt will get a lot better real quick.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Malurous said:
These two paragraphs, in my view, are the big point here. Malkin is the same age now as Ovechkin was last year, and Malkin was better now than Ovechkin last year. To make it more impressive, Ovechkin had Malkin last year, while Malkin did not have Ovechkin. Even though they didn't play together too much last year, teams had a hard time to choose whom to shut down.

Also, last year Malkin had a very comparable season to Ovechkin's in the RSL despite being a year younger AND being more of a playmaker, he suffers from the local no second assists rule. And, more importantly, Malkin is now the same age as Ovechkin was last year and dominates the league. AO was a good player, but didn't dominate like that. Also, Malkin is obviously still more of a work in progress physically etc, but, a lot like Gretzky (note, I'm not comparing them talent-wise, as I doubt we'll ever see another talent like Wayne Gretzky), his vision and creativity make everyone forget the physical limits. And right now they help him dominate the second-best league in the world. As someone said, at least a star in the NHL.

Even if what you say is true, is in fact true, maybe what AO does translates better to the NHL level. Or not. Sheesh, the irony, you have me of all people saying these things. Damn you all. ;) The point is that you all are making sweeping statements that he IS better, not that he could be as good, or even better. That is where you lose most of us. AO and Crosby have set a high bar, let him come over and prove it.

Malurous

Dec 14, 2005
Jaded-Fan said:
Even if what you say is true, is in fact true, maybe what AO does translates better to the NHL level. Or not. Sheesh, the irony, you have me of all people saying these things. Damn you all. ;) The point is that you all are making sweeping statements that he IS better, not that he could be as good, or even better. That is where you lose most of us. AO and Crosby have set a high bar, let him come over and prove it.

By the way, I didn't say Malkin IS better, I only said he has the potential to be ;) But to the point:

I agree with you, regarding that AO might be more suited to the NHL, as he's more straightforward. We'll see ;) Even if I think Malkin has maybe the highest potential to be "the Next One", he also probably has the highest potential to be Vincent Lecavalier II: a great player, maybe the most entertaining player to watch, but not quite the most efficient one. :dunno:

[sort of offtopic]NOTE: Nobody should think I'm bashing Vinny here. He's one of, if not the favorite player of mine, due to the entertainment factor, playing style, and person. Still, he's a bona fide example of not being quite as good in the games as you are in practice, that incredible World Cup notwithstanding. In fact, I think he'd be considered a legend now, had he been born fifteen years earlier.[/offtopic]

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
After seeing Malkin at the World Juniors all I could think of was what a top prospect factory Pittsburgh has :eek:

Misos Milakos*

ferns8916 said:
Some guy just said on TSN that if Malkin was Canadian, then you could forget about Crosby, because Crosby wouldn't be close in terms of ability and hype.

Isn't this over-rating Malkin a little bit? Just a little?

Yes, it would definitely be overrating Malkin quite a bit.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Andrew_11 said:
After seeing Malkin at the World Juniors all I could think of was what a top prospect factory Pittsburgh has :eek:

Judging by the Pens performance so far this year, its not even finished yet.

AgentNaslund*

dumb fools. dumb blind Crosby haters. Were the **** was Malkin when he was 18? I dont see him leading his pro team in scoring at the age of 18.

Crosby over Malkin and Ovechkin combined.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
It really amuses me how playing really well in the NHL somehow decreases your stock on these boards if you're paired against a player who does really well in an inferior league.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
AgentNaslund said:
Crosby over Malkin and Ovechkin combined.

Riiiigggghhhhtttt. :lol:

Sa far as this thread goes, it's really not hard to see why people would think that way (not saying I do mind you). Say it with me: S-I-Z-E. I've personally never been a big proponent of the size fascination but have to admit it's certainly a factor in how many rate prospects.

Ogopogo*

Kaizer said:
Well, In Russia Malkin has way more press and hype than Ovechkin had and has now. It's not even comparable, IMO.

I have seen highlights of Ovechkin and I have seen Malkin play live. Both are excellent players but Ovechkin is better, no question.

o-dog

May 24, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
It is impossible to compare these players with stats from the NHL and RSL. either this year or last. Malkin is putting up big numbers in the RSL but it has been watered down with all the players returning to the NHL this year. That's like saying a player in the AHL this year putting up similar numbers to Staal or Spezza from last year is just as good.

I have not seen a large enough sample of Malkin to make a judgement on his abilities, but if he is in the same ballpark as Sid and AO...WOW. I don't care if he's better or worse, if he can play as well as these kids I'm going to enjoy the next 10-15 years of watching hockey. I don't think we've ever seen two rookies of this calibre in the NHL in the same year ever.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Good point about Malkin...

I think it's more in reference to Canada's youth development in hockey, which by every account is unparallelled.

Not to say Crosby is a polished turd or anything, but it's a fair question to ask about M.

The_Cube

Dec 17, 2005
Sweden
IMO, Crosby and Ovechkin have a higher offensive upside than Malkin - not to say that Malkin can't sure because he sure as hell can. Malkin however, has the defensive upside that Ovechkin and Crosby don't.

shawn_kemp*

Overall my impression is that too many hockey fans are overrating Malkin, Crosby and Ovechkin. Don't forget Heatley, Kovalchuk, Spezza, Staal.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Malkin will be better than Crosby and Ovechkin ! Some of you guys are totally blind after that final Wjc game. Malkin was shut down blah blah blah ! And ? So was Ovechkin too ! And look what Ovy doing now !

Malkin is the most complete prospect in the world ! point

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
CSKA said:
Malkin will be better than Crosby and Ovechkin ! Some of you guys are totally blind after that final Wjc game. Malkin was shut down blah blah blah ! And ? So was Ovechkin too ! And look what Ovy doing now !

Malkin is the most complete prospect in the world ! point

Well, who could argue with logic like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad