Some guy on TSN just said that if Malkin was Canadian....

• Thread starter joe_shannon_1983*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_shannon_1983*

Some guy just said on TSN that if Malkin was Canadian, then you could forget about Crosby, because Crosby wouldn't be close in terms of ability and hype.

Isn't this over-rating Malkin a little bit? Just a little?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
They really should stop interviewing Malkin's father.

In all seriousness, I love Malkin, but until he proves it over here as the other two, AO and Crosby, have done I do not see how anyone can be so sure that he is even as good as either let along better.

joe_shannon_1983*

Kaizer said:
Well, In Russia Malkin has way more press and hype than Ovechkin had and has now. It's not even comparable, IMO.

And isn't that a little bit too much as well?

I mean, Malkin is good, but he isn't as good as Ovechkin. I think Ovechkin would be tearing this tournament apart much more than Malkin is, considering Ovechkin in 2005 played better than Malkin is in 2006 (at least in my opinion).

Transported Upstater

Kaizer said:
Well, In Russia Malkin has way more press and hype than Ovechkin had and has now. It's not even comparable, IMO.

Kaizer, why is that? I fully trust what you are saying, but I'm wondering what the reason is.

One of my good college friends is working in Moscow right now (he grew up there, and came to the 'States when he was 14 or 15), and he said a similar thing the last time I talked to him about hockey, which has been difficult because he's always busy and for that god forsaken time zone difference...

Transported Upstater

Kaizer said:
I don't know.

Another question: Is Ovechkin getting more attention now than he did before he came to the NHL?

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
TransportedUpstater said:
Another question: Is Ovechkin getting more attention now than he did before he came to the NHL?
It's even a bit lower, IMO. He's not even close to Kovalchuk in level of hype around him and it's not even hype. Kovalchuk was tons of times on TV: Russian Lotto, Billiard, Sport shows etc. Kovalchuk was part of charity prorgram with Kovalev and so on ... Kovalchuk is one of the most populars sportsmen here if not the most.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
ferns8916 said:
And isn't that a little bit too much as well?

I mean, Malkin is good, but he isn't as good as Ovechkin. I think Ovechkin would be tearing this tournament apart much more than Malkin is, considering Ovechkin in 2005 played better than Malkin is in 2006 (at least in my opinion).

First - it was a Russian reporter making the comment.

Second - I hope Ovechkin would be ripping up the tourney this year. He's overage.

Ovechkin, Malkin, and Crosby and the best three young players on the planet and would be neck and neck and neck for the calder had Malkin joined the NHL.

The only difference is Crosby is 18, Malkin is 19, and Ovechkin is 21.

Transported Upstater

Kaizer said:
It's even a bit lower, IMO.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I'm a big Malkin fan. He contrasts well with Ovechkin IMO. Ovechkin, to me, is the explosive, physical winger to Malkin's smoothness and grace at the center position.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Last year I was ranking

1. Malkin
2. Ovechkin
3. Crosby

and was called a complete fool! (more so because I'm canadian - but I call them as I see them).

Everything I have seen reinforces my previous impression

BUT... guys, all three are superstars... head and shoulders over most other youngums. So does it really matter quibbling? All three deserve equal hype! (I guess that's what this thread is about, in a way)

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Thats just trash.. do people even watch Crosby anymore.. or do they just *****? The kid is ridiculous.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
Naru said:

Hmm..quite frankly, I don't believe you. Like him or not, Crosby is a generational talent , and if he truly "wasn't even close" to Malkin, then we'd certainly be hearing about it. Now you're going to say that he doesn't get any hype because he's Russian, but that's bollocks. If he was truly good enough to make us "forget" about Crosby, it wouldn't matter if he were from Burkina Faso, we'd be hearing about it. Alot.

And before I get flamed with exceedingly insightful "Malkin >>>Crosby" posts, I hasten to add that nowhere will you see me say that Malkin and Crosby aren't of comparable quality (I can't knowledgeably comment one way or the other).

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
McGuillicuddy said:
Hmm..quite frankly, I don't believe you. Like him or not, Crosby is a generational talent , and if he truly "wasn't even close" to Malkin, then we'd certainly be hearing about it. Now you're going to say that he doesn't get any hype because he's Russian, but that's bollocks. If he was truly good enough to make us "forget" about Crosby, it wouldn't matter if he were from Burkina Faso, we'd be hearing about it. Alot.

And before I get flamed with exceedingly insightful "Malkin >>>Crosby" posts, I hasten to add that nowhere will you see me say that Malkin and Crosby aren't of comparable quality (I can't knowledgeably comment one way or the other).
I agree. I have been waiting for a good prospect to come out of Burkina Faso for a while.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
When Malkin steps into the NHL and puts up about 100-110 points, then he'll definitely be the real deal and the hype will be justified. He's got the ability to do it but it's not going to be easy to match Crosby.

Oilers1*

Last year, when Crosby was shut down in the Memorial Cup, people said he was overrated and overhyped. Now, Malkin gets shut down and isn't even close to dominant and we're still getting, 'Malkin >>> Crosby' posts.

This board isn't even worth reading anymore.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
why do some find it hard to believe that there might actually be a better player out there than crosby? Its not like Malkin has come out of nowhere. Since draft day people have been saying that theres a chance he would be better than both crosby and ovechkin. Not to down crosby or ovechkin but bigger players do take a little longer to develop. Is part of it that Crosby has been so hyped for the last few years that everyone is starting to believe that theres is noone close to him?

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Laraque27 said:
Last year, when Crosby was shut down in the Memorial Cup, people said he was overrated and overhyped. Now, Malkin gets shut down and isn't even close to dominant and we're still getting, 'Malkin >>> Crosby' posts.

This board isn't even worth reading anymore.

Malkin was wrestled down, clutched and grabbed every time. That is why they put pressure on IIHF in terms of officiating, they wanted this grabbing game, there is no other way for them to win the game.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Siberian said:
Malkin was wrestled down, clutched and grabbed every time. That is why they put pressure on IIHF in terms of officiating, they wanted this grabbing game, there is no other way for them to win the game.

:cry:

Malkin who?

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I'd really love to know what game Siberian was watching.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
kingpest19 said:
why do some find it hard to believe that there might actually be a better player out there than crosby? Its not like Malkin has come out of nowhere. Since draft day people have been saying that theres a chance he would be better than both crosby and ovechkin. Not to down crosby or ovechkin but bigger players do take a little longer to develop. Is part of it that Crosby has been so hyped for the last few years that everyone is starting to believe that theres is noone close to him?

I am a Pens' fan for Christ's sake. When I go to games I happen to wear a Malkin Jersey, not a Crosby one. I am hardly biased against him. But you have to be rational and reasonable, something that I seldom find on this board where people either diefy a prospect or tear him down for the silliest things - often times both, within a week of one another as the flavor of the week changes. By far my largest criticism of HF.

Malkin is an enormous talent, I doubt that anyone is saying otherwise. But he is where Crosby and Ovechkin were last year - a prospect, a projection. Why is it a surprise that Malkin will have to prove that he is in the same class once he reaches the NHL level just like they did? Or that their accomplishments this year in the NHL, where they have progressed further than anyone really imagined, would not vault them to a level Malkin will have to prove he belongs at? My God, each are as likely as not going to be close to if not over 50 goal scorers and 100 point men at the NHL level. One at 18, one at 20. Let that sink in a minute. It is no slight on him at all, merely being reasonable about a talent people are rightly excited about.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Naru said:

LOL @ NO

That is funny, you bet your butt that is overrating him, Crosby is putting up just as high of a points per game in the NHL as Malkin is iin Russia, not to mention that Malkin is ayear older

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad