Finland - 5.2 mil

REGISTERED HOCKEY PLAYERS
CAN - 574,125
FIN - 52,597

ICE RINKS
CAN - 2501
FIN - 216

Intresting, isn't it?

Actually the Czech Republic and Russia have around 250 rinks each, so it's no wonder why Canada produces a little bit more hockey players than other countries.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
wilka91 said:
I found some intresting facts in a paper today :

POPULATION
Canada - 32.2 million
Finland - 5.2 mil

CAN - 574,125
FIN - 52,597

ICE RINKS
CAN - 2501
FIN - 216

Intresting, isn't it?

Actually the Czech Republic and Russia have around 250 rinks each, so it's no wonder why Canada produces a little bit more hockey players than other countries.

we're lucky we even HAVE 32 million people here

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
wilka91 said:

POPULATION
Canada - 32.2 million
Finland - 5.2 mil

CAN - 574,125
FIN - 52,597

ICE RINKS
CAN - 2501
FIN - 216

Intresting, isn't it?

Also:

CAN - Hockey mad country :D
FIN - Hockey mad country :D

Oh and... game starts at 7 PM Eastern time (that's important too!)

Mountain Dude

I gotta give Finland props, there is no other country I would rather face in the final, I have a lot of respect for them. :)

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
I have nothing but complete respect for Finland and Finnish hockey. There is no other country I would rather play in a championship game. This run that Finalnd has accomplished with do wonders for Finnish hockey.

Having said that, GO CANADA! ;)

chicpea*

Mountain Dude said:
I gotta give Finland props, there is no other country I would rather face in the final, I have a lot of respect for them. :)
Couldn't agree more. It's not just their population that demands respect, but the fight they bring to every game, whether it be the WJCs or the NHL. Plus, any nation that produces a guy like Saku is alright in my books.

moosejaw

Apr 27, 2004
wilka91 said:

POPULATION
Canada - 32.2 million
Finland - 5.2 mil

CAN - 574,125
FIN - 52,597

ICE RINKS
CAN - 2501
FIN - 216

Intresting, isn't it?

you do realize that those numbers show the rink to player ratio is pretty much the same? 1/230 cda vs. 1/243 fin... might be the best comparison in terms of a hockey mad country next to Canada...now how about the numbers of a team you have beaten? the good old USofA??? That might be interesting...

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I don't find those facts interesting at all...I'm not sure what the point is. That Canada is a larger country by having 6x the population? I'm pretty sure everyone knew Canada was a bigger country, and thus has a lot more rinks to provide.

It's like the U.S. and football, England/Italy/Brazil/France/etc etc with soccer(or football :))...if a country dedicates itself to one sport mainly, it's going to be good at it.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
moosejaw said:
you do realize that those numbers show the rink to player ratio is pretty much the same? 1/230 cda vs. 1/243 fin... might be the best comparison in terms of a hockey mad country next to Canada...now how about the numbers of a team you have beaten? the good old USofA??? That might be interesting...

His point is that Canada produces so many more hockey players and therefore hockey talent, yet Finland is able to (or so we shall see) compete with them. :teach:

moosejaw

Apr 27, 2004
Rob Paxon said:
His point is that Canada produces so many more hockey players and therefore hockey talent, yet Finland is able to (or so we shall see) compete with them. :teach:

yeah, I get the point einstein...it is academic and entirely relative by the way...if not the US or China would win every single athletic endevour... :p:

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
moosejaw said:
yeah, I get the point einstein...it is academic and entirely relative by the way...if not the US or China would win every single athletic endevour... :p:
The USA? That's nothing compared to India.

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
Mountain Dude said:

I agree. Even if Canada loses, it wouldn't hurt as much. But GO TEAM CANADA!!

Today was a blessing, no homework in any classes (just a test tomorrow but who studies when hockey is on?) Thank God!

Kravitch

I think it only hurts Canada if we lose to the USA, Russia or Sweden.

High flyin' Habs*

wilka91 said:

POPULATION
Canada - 32.2 million
Finland - 5.2 mil

CAN - 574,125
FIN - 52,597

ICE RINKS
CAN - 2501
FIN - 216

Intresting, isn't it?

I can't believe that such a huge and populated country like Russia only has 34 more rinks than the smallish Finland.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
smoothskater said:
Russian's are lame? :dunno:

That's not what he meant. It's not like Wilka was a Finn making excuses for Finland. He was just stating facts for fun. And no, he wasn't making excuses for Russia either (obviously).

Urgh, I have a hard time following my train of thoughts right now... uh, what was I talking about? Argh wtf all this philosophy is not in my jurisdiction :banghead:

High flyin' Habs*

Masao said:
That's not what he meant. It's not like Wilka was a Finn making excuses for Finland. He was just stating facts for fun. And no, he wasn't making excuses for Russia either (obviously).

Urgh, I have a hard time following my train of thoughts right now... uh, what was I talking about? Argh wtf all this philosophy is not in my jurisdiction :banghead:

All I have to say is chill dude.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
smoothskater said:
Russian's are lame? :dunno:
Honestly? No, I don't think Russians are lame but I know that wilka91's goal is to rub it in so I returned the favour and disrespected Russians but no, I don't really mean it.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
smoothskater said:
All I have to say is chill dude.

It's okay. I just swallowed enough aspirins to kill Carlton the bear.

I just had a lo-ong day and my mind is getting a bit slower...

In fact, I might tape the game tonight and watch it tomorrow, trying hard not to get any info about who won and whatnot :amazed:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
psycho_dad said:
wilka is russian, not finnish...so he was not "making excuses" for anyone. I dont know if he even had a point.

There is no point. I just posted what I read and wanted to share it with others. Why would I be making excuses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad