Solving the Mediocre Minnesota Wild

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Tanking doesn’t guarantee success. However, it’s by far the most successful strategy in building a cup contender.

Is this sarcasm? Tanking for a high draft pick doesn't help at all. High draft picks never turn around a teams destiny by themselves, look at Hischier, Patrick and all other recent picks minus a few examples in the leagues history

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is this sarcasm? Tanking for a high draft pick doesn't help at all. High draft picks never turn around a teams destiny by themselves, look at Hischier, Patrick and all other recent picks minus a few examples in the leagues history

Why would it be sarcasm? If I’m wrong, provide some data. Pointing to one bad example doesn’t prove your point.

Reactions: hidek91

jarboy

Dec 27, 2007
And here I thought basically all Stanley cup winners for the last 20 years had at least one top 3 draft choice on the team.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Tanking doesn’t guarantee success. However, it’s by far the most successful strategy in building a cup contender.

It's not a garantee but you eventualy need it to end up very low to get your hands on franchise players. Pens got Sid and Gino and won cups. Hawks got Toews and Kane and won cups. Caps got AO and won a cup.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
You ever heard of a good, solid tank?

Just take the refill. Fill it up to the brim. Every single Cup champ for the last 13 years has had major pieces taken high in the draft.

Minnesota has refused to tank. The problem is their own doing.

It generates way too much money for them to stay "almost" successful. They are like my own Montreal Canadiens in a way. Two teams that remind me so much of each other esp. since the Wild got our own Jacques Lemaire and that defensive-first culture. The Habs have refused to tank time and time again when they should have. When it was pointless since there was nothing in front of them.

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012
Immediately get rid of anyone in management who was involved in Hockey in any way in the 80's or older + don't answer if Chayka calls

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Holy hyperbole...

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
It generates way too much money for them to stay "almost" successful. They are like my own Montreal Canadiens in a way. Two teams that remind me so much of each other esp. since the Wild got our own Jacques Lemaire and that defensive-first culture. The Habs have refused to tank time and time again when they should have. When it was pointless since there was nothing in front of them.

Nashville is another example of a team that has refused to tank

Calgary has also never had good really high picks, Sam Bennett is their highest in history.

Even Toronto went ahead and tanked, seriously, removing any player cabable of producing winning hockey.

Reactions: Kimota

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
And here I thought basically all Stanley cup winners for the last 20 years had at least one top 3 draft choice on the team.
Makes sense as most teams have at least one top 3 pick on their team. I believe there are only 7 teams who didn't have a top 3 pick in their line up this year.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
You have already forgot St Louis 's tank years?

2006 1 1 Erik Johnson
2006 1 25 Patrik Berglund
2007 1 13 Lars Eller
2007 1 18 Ian Cole
2007 1 26 David Perron
2008 1 4 Alex Pietrangelo

Berglund as a piece ----> Conn Smythe winner O'Reilly
Cole ---> Bortuzzo
Johnson ---> Sanford
Perron, Pietrangelo played for the Cup team

Did you seriously just call 25th and 27th overall selections tank pieces?

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
In fairness, it's explained above if you bother to read back. They were Blues' second 1st round picks those two years. The point was about hoarding multiple high picks as an indicator of "tanking".

Now, Wild clearly hasn't done that and still has two 1st rounders this year, so it's not some absolute rule. But can't really say the Wild GM has been making all-in moves either, so it's perhaps not the most typical example out there.

(As far as the entire argument goes, I'm not so sure tanking is necessary for success. And clearly it can go wrong and have a long loasting bad impact. Not mentioning Sabres by name.)

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Wild, Habs, and Jackets all in similar situations....Just enough good qualities to be serviceable but not elite.....No man's land....The absolute worst place to be in the NHL......

The hockey people in charge of these teams have to have the guts to strip in down completely or be very aggressive going all in to try and win.....In other words stop trying to do both and once and choose a side......If you don't do that you'll be stuck spinning your wheels in neutral for years and years......

And even if you do pick a direction nothing is promised to anybody but at least you're trying to do it properly.......Hard for a lot of hockey people to have the guts to choose a side though.....

Well, You´re kind of right. THe worst place is though, being last. SOme teams can never build a winning, healthy culture in their teams. Like Pre Oilers, Buffalo, Pre-Jackets, Pre-Arizona. ALways in the bottom.

And as someone said it takes guts to take them out of there. Like big moves.

I also always wonder aobut those teams that has multiple first rounders in a draft. It almost always ever fails. At least one big bust.
They should not draft after need with multiple picks, just draft talented enough to make the NHL - players. Do not draft list or not - draft the bastard!
The player has at least value to being traded then.

And I think teams should try out more on getting players in age 22 - 30, not done vets to "raise the kids".
If you have multiple first rounders, you should make a nice package for some good top6 players to lift the team.

Good centers is the key to learn the younger ones, and every team holds their good ones tightly, cause they know...¨
You can also se it at draft day. The centers is always raisers comes draft day.

I would like to say its a center issue.
In a line there is two wingers and one center.
But the need is 2:1 of a good center, than a good winger.
THere is just a bigger need of good centers than good wingers.

Reactions: Gjman2019

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018

As I wrote earlier, those were tank pieces because they were not the only 1st rounders they had. Tanking teams usually get a boatload of extra picks. For example, Tampa Bay has traded away almost all of their top picks this year.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
It's not a garantee but you eventualy need it to end up very low to get your hands on franchise players. Pens got Sid and Gino and won cups. Hawks got Toews and Kane and won cups. Caps got AO and won a cup.
None of those were tanks to get those players

Some reason these acquisitions of top 3 picks and teams that were bad for years getting good with these picks gets equated as any tank and they're different results.

A big difference in effort to tank you generally have casted off strong talent developing before your elite top picks show up. You need stable D or some go mid 20s vets around

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
None of those were tanks to get those players

Some reason these acquisitions of top 3 picks and teams that were bad for years getting good with these picks gets equated as any tank and they're different results.

A big difference in effort to tank you generally have casted off strong talent developing before your elite top picks show up. You need stable D or some go mid 20s vets around

Not saying they were tanks but these are players that you can obtain if you get high draft picks.

Reactions: ClydeLee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->