Olympics: Sochi 2014 Roster Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexanderTheGood

With the 2010 Vancouver Games now over and done with, and assuming that the NHL allows its players to compete in the 2014 Sochi Winter Games, does anyone want to take a crack at predicting the rosters (Canada, USA, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, etc.) for this tournament?

Last edited:

AlexanderTheGood

Alright, here's my shot at Team Canada...

What amazes me about this potential 2014 roster is that there are so many young players who could crossover from 2010 to 2014. Of course, predicting a tournament four years in advance is pretty futile, but here it is anyhow:

Rick Nash - Sidney Crosby - Patrice Bergeron
Milan Lucic - Johnathan Toews - Patrick Sharp
Jeff Carter - Steven Stamkos - Mike Richards
Dustin Penner - Ryan Getzlaf - Corey Perry
Dave Bolland

Jay Bouwmeester - Drew Doughty
Duncan Keith - Brent Seabrook
Dion Phaneuf - Shea Weber
Luke Schenn / P.K. Subban

Roberto Luongo
Marc-Andre Fleury
Cam Ward

Ironslave

May 22, 2008
There are many threads on this... also no chance Bergeron makes it after a poor performance this year, and no chance Penner, Bolland and Lucic make it on Olympic size ice, I doubt Sharp does either.

86Habs

May 4, 2009

What amazes me about this potential 2014 roster is that there are so many young players who could crossover from 2010 to 2014. Of course, predicting a tournament four years in advance is pretty futile, but here it is anyhow:

Dave Bolland

Roberto Luongo
Marc-Andre Fleury
Cam Ward

??? Given the way he played with Crosby and Nash in their few shifts together in the Norway game, this line combination would not happen. And, given his overall play this Olympics, Bergeron is already a long-shot to make the 2014 team. The guy can (and probably will) improve, but his performance over the last two weeks has to be a knock against him already...

RapidFire

Jan 3, 2007
I never wanted Bergeron on the team when there was better talent available.

Spezza, Fisher or Carter would of been a better pick.

BlackAces*

I haven't stopped celebrating the 2010 Olympic win yet, get back to me in a couple of years.

The Goaltending Guru

Oct 25, 2007
Grand Rapids, MI
I don't see how you can possibly start predicting rosters 4 years in advance....lol In 4 years there are going to be guys in the NHL for those countries you mentioned who have just barely started their junior careers or aren't even in the NHL yet. I wouldn't even know where to begin with predicting a single player for any of the rosters 4 years from now.

BlackAces*

I don't see how you can possibly start predicting rosters 4 years in advance....lol In 4 years there are going to be guys in the NHL for those countries you mentioned who have just barely started their junior careers or aren't even in the NHL yet. I wouldn't even know where to begin with predicting a single player for any of the rosters 4 years from now.

I would say one guy is a definite at least;)

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Nash – Crosby – Tavares
Duchene – Stamkos – Carter
E. Staal – Getzlaf – Perry
J. Staal – Richards – Toews

Doughty – Myers
Keith – Weber
M. Staal – Seabrook

Fleury
Luongo
Price

Milan the God*

Dave Bolland

Roberto Luongo
Marc-Andre Fleury
Cam Ward

Myers will most likely be better than Schenn/Subban/Phaneuf in the future.

Grabovski

Aug 12, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
Staal - Crosby - Nash
Stamkos - Toews - Carter
Richards - Getzlaf - Perry
Heatley - Duchene - J. Staal
Tavares

Doughty - Weber
Phaneuf - Bouwmeester
Keith - Myers
M. Staal

Luongo
Fleury
Mason

All the Staal brothers (except Jared lol)

Milan the God*

I never wanted Bergeron on the team when there was better talent available.

Spezza, Fisher or Carter would of been a better pick.

They wouldn't have picked Spezza. At the time he was injured and only had something like five goals.

Dudeinator

Oct 6, 2009

lol back in '06 no one would've listed Toews or Doughty to be on 2010's roster.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
??? Given the way he played with Crosby and Nash in their few shifts together in the Norway game, this line combination would not happen. And, given his overall play this Olympics, Bergeron is already a long-shot to make the 2014 team. The guy can (and probably will) improve, but his performance over the last two weeks has to be a knock against him already...

Yeah surely 4 years from now there will be better options than guys like Bergeron, Penner, Sharp, Bolland, and maybe Lucic. That just looks like a team where if you were to make a team Canada today while cutting the SJ line, Morrow, and all the last minute cuts like Lecavailer, St. Louis, Doan, Smyth, Savard, Spezza, etc.

Many of those players will still be kicking around at a high level for Socchi. In addition, there are plenty of great players under 25 playing in the NHL of various value that could still break out and make an impact like: Tavares, Duchene, Zajac, Horton, Neal, J.Staal, C.Stewart, Gagner, Giroux, Perron, Benn, Brassard, Bailey, Little, E.Kane, Setoguchi, Boychuk, Bozak, etc. Plus a number of hot shot prospects that will soon be making the NHL and could have an outside shot at making it like Hall, Hodgson, Eberle, and Schenn.

Rather than penciling in a full line up I think you can only realistically look at who will make up the core of the team, which is likely: Crosby, Staal, Nash, Toews, Getzlaf, Perry, Stamkos, and Richards. So something like:

Staal-Crosby-???
???-Getzlaf-Perry
Nash-Stamkos-???
???-Toews-Richards

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Crosby
Getzlaf
Toews
Nash
E. Staal
M. Richards
Carter
Stamkos
Perry
Heatley
Tavares
Duchene
J. Staal

Doughty
Weber
Keith
Bouwmeester
Seabrook
Phaneuf
Green

Luongo
Fleury
Ward

I'm probably discounting too many vets and I have a billion centers. These guys should still be in the mix: Iginla (35), Thornton (33), Marleau (33), Morrow (34), Lecavalier (33).

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

Dave Bolland

Roberto Luongo
Marc-Andre Fleury
Cam Ward

:laugh::laugh: really?,

Myers will make the team

Kevin Malone

Jul 3, 2009
Fair enough, but you can :laugh: just as much at Luke Schenn, especially on international ice.

Yes, because Adam Foote was horrible on Olympic ice.:shakehead

Did you know that Luke Schenn is younger than P.K. Subban and already has 2 NHL seasons.

Why would team Canada take Subban over Green?

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Nash
Crosby
Toews
Carter
Richards
Tavares
Stamkos
Getzlaf
Perry
E. Staal

I believe all the above will make the team. The rest will be anyone's guess.

In D:

Keith
Doughty
Myers
Seabrook
Weber
Green

Goalie:

Fleury
Luongo
Mason or Price.

canadajazz

Apr 29, 2009
Tavares Crosby Carter
E.Staal Getzlaf Nash
Richards Toews Stamkos
Lucic J. Staal ??Bolland??
those are the ones I'd venture are highly likely... who knows how they get bumped and which other forwards enter the mix... does Morrow return for grit and leadership? How will Eberle/Hall/Seguin develop?

Doughty, Weber
Keith, Seabrook
Green, Myers
Bouwmeester
=====================

Pat Sharp will be too old by then... 32... not gonna be the direction of Olympic Teams to load up on guys over 30, specially not after this tourney. Sharp, Iggy,Boyle, Vinny, St Louis, etc... nope.

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
Nash-Crosby-E.Staal
Stamkos-Toews-Richards
Heatley-Getzlaf-Perry
Tavares-J.Staal-Carter
Duchene

Doughty-Keith
Phaneuf-Weber
Green-Myers