Soccer stronger than hockey in Canada

Coinneach

Feb 1, 2014
Czech Republic
According to Jim Toth from TSN 25.8 million Canadians watched the FIFA World Cup on CTV, TSN & RDA accounting for 72% of the Canadian population.

But "only" 24,6 million Canadians watched Stanley Cup play-offs 2018.

This is very surprising for me...

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
According to Jim Toth from TSN 25.8 million Canadians watched the FIFA World Cup on CTV, TSN & RDA accounting for 72% of the Canadian population.

apples and oranges

you can not compare a once every 4 years worldwide event to a national league's annual championship tournament.

I'd call it a heck of a win for hockey that it was only 1.2 mill behind the World Cup

filip85

Feb 7, 2017

Why suprising ?

No canadian team(s) in SC finals + many non-canadians on rosters of Wsh and Vegas.

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
Not surprising for me, but it doesn't mean soccer is stronger than hockey in Canada. I always watch the World Cup and the Euros, that's basically the only soccer games I watched. I'm far from the only one either, it was always like that at work. I don't need the big tournaments to watch hockey, it's always on. For the majority of immigrants, they barely care if at all about hockey, their sport is soccer. Specially for all those entering the country in the last 10 years or so.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I don't ever follow soccer, not even the MLS and the TFC. But I still tune in to watch the world cup every 4 years...why? because its a spectacle. It comes around every 4 years and its the "in" thing to watch in the summer time. I'm confident the overwhelming majority of those viewers are just like me. The next full soccer game I will watch will more than likely be in 2022 and I'm not even joking.

Soccer is minuscule compared to Hockey in Canada. If you want to find accurate numbers go find the TV viewership numbers for regular season games in the MLS, not a major global tournament that rolls around every 4 years.

Last edited:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I don't ever follow soccer, not even the MLS and the TFC. But I still tune in to watch the world cup every 4 years...why? because its a spectacle. It comes around every 4 years and its the "in" thing to watch in the summer time. I'm confident the overwhelming majority of those viewers are just like me. The next full soccer game I will watch will more than likely be in 2022 and I'm not even joking.

Soccer is minuscule compared to Hockey in Canada. If you want to find accurate numbers go find the TV viewership numbers for regular season games in the MLS, not a major global tournament that rolls around every 4 years.

Really?
MacBlog_Soccer_new.jpg

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Not sure that this is really an indicator of anything except that you have a lot of sports fans that probably watched because of it being a big event and also because it was early in the morning before any major events took place here in North America. I'm not sure I'm taking the OP's tone correctly, but if he's alarmed by that, he really shouldn't be. NHL viewership is healthy in Canada IMO, and now that Tavares has signed in Toronto, if the Leafs get out of the gate as a strong team as many expect will be the case, ratings AND $$$ for Rogers should go through the roof this winter for HNIC.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

member 305909

You must mean altogether during the whole tournament there were 25m viewers. That makes on the average 400k viewers/match. Can not deny that could be the case.

Of course, some matches were the ones that really got viewers such as the England-games and others were not interesting to anyone.

A lot of people watch soccer when the world cup or the euros are on but never any other time such as clubs palying each other.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
You must mean altogether during the whole tournament there were 25m viewers. That makes on the average 400k viewers/match. Can not deny that could be the case.

Of course, some matches were the ones that really got viewers such as the England-games and others were not interesting to anyone.

A lot of people watch soccer when the world cup or the euros are on but never any other time such as clubs palying each other.

No he means 25 million different Canadians watched some of the tournament.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
TSN article https://www.tsn.ca/25-8-million-can...tv-tsn-and-rds-a-resounding-success-1.1141417

Compared to 2014, there is a drop (all games free on CBC + better time zones?)

CBC's FIFA World Cup coverage from Brazil set new records for television and online viewing.
Approximately 30.7 million Canadians tuned in at some point during the month-long tournament from Brazil, which represents 89 per cent of the country's population. Of that total, 6.6 million watched at least part of a game online.

Canadians watch CBC FIFA World Cup in record numbers | CBC Sports

Final was also more popular in Brazil:

Preliminary overnight data from Numeris confirms that an average audience of 3.9 million viewers watched the FIFA WORLD CUP™ Final on Sunday. Audiences peaked at 5.4 million viewers at 12:53 p.m. ET as France secured their second-ever FIFA WORLD CUP™ victory. France’s win over Croatia was the most-watched match of the tournament, with a total reach of 9.3 million unique Canadian viewers, or 26% of Canadians, tuning in for the Final.

An average of 4.93 million watched on television to see Germany's dramatic 1-0 victory over Argentina in the final Sunday, making it the most watched match of the tournament and the most watched Word Cup final ever, edging the 2010 mark.
Viewership for the final peaked at 7.4 million in the game's final stages, with 11.3 million tuning in at some point during the English-language broadcast.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa

I'm really shocked it was this high. Only two Canadian teams made the playoffs and Toronto only lasted one round. You're not going to get big ratings without the home-town audiences, although the Ovechkin and Las Vegas stories probably provided a bit of a novelty. The World Cup is a different beast as it's a global spectacle and most Canadians probably have some rooting interest based upon their heritage and the ones that don't will probably tune in just based upon the stars and magnitude of the event, like the Olympics.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
apples and oranges

you can not compare a once every 4 years worldwide event to a national league's annual championship tournament.

I'd call it a heck of a win for hockey that it was only 1.2 mill behind the World Cup
Exactly, you have to compare the FIFA to the Winter Olympics GMG... well when the NHL allows the players to go obviously

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Another indicator in 2018:

World Cup Final: 3.9M viewers in the morning

Stanley Cup 1st Round Game 7 Toronto/Boston: 4.1M viewers in primetime

Are you using this as evidence of Soccer being stronger than Hockey in Canada? Most of Canada doesn't like the Leafs. I'm frankly shocked that Toronto had more viewers than the World Cup Final. Especially when you consider that the World Cup Final was on CTV and TSN, which means anyone with an antennae could watch the game.

Hockey is the more popular viewership sport. It has stable numbers year round. Soccer only has the numbers during the major events.

Yes, Soccer is more played than Hockey, but that doesn't equate to viewership. Soccer costs nothing in comparison so it's obviously going to be played more. Hell, everyone I knew growing up played soccer in the summers because it was fun and cost nothing.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
One is a spectacle that happens once every four years. I’m sure millions of viewers aren’t even big fans of the sport.

I do think soccer will inevitably pass it though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad