Soccer Prospect Discussion Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yup as is MLS
At least they get playing time. From there it’s up to the player to sink or swim.
I mean, let's be clear. He couldn't get playing time at peak Man City. He also did not immediately go on a tear. In his first year there he made 12 first team appearances, scoring one goal and registering 4 assists (which is a decent number). Of that, only one assist came prior to April.

Now, with regards to David, peak Liverpool obviously has the same starting caliber players, but the backups aren't as good.
Let’s also be clear that that’s half a season. If I’m remembering right, Sancho came in January and was also like 17-18. That’s really good for a young guy in a new country playing with a new team.

Liverpool barely rest their guys anyway and they got the likes of Origi and AOC along with lots of real high potential young guys.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
At least they get playing time. From there it’s up to the player to sink or swim.

Let’s also be clear that that’s half a season. If I’m remembering right, Sancho came in January and was also like 17-18. That’s really good for a young guy in a new country playing with a new team.

Liverpool barely rest their guys anyway and they got the likes of Origi and AOC along with lots of real high potential young guys.

THat;s not everything when it comes to development. Hell sometimes less is more.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
You’re not remembering right. He signed in August I believe.

fair point on origi not playing a ton but AOC has been playing midfield. David could get time. Not a ton at first, but still.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
You’re not remembering right. He signed in August I believe.

fair point on origi not playing a ton but AOC has been playing midfield. David could get time. Not a ton at first, but still.
You are correct he signed August 31. Don’t know why I thought he signed in January. Kid was still like 16 going to a new country and a new team. You can’t expect him to jump into the first team right away.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You are correct he signed August 31. Don’t know why I thought he signed in January. Kid was still like 16 going to a new country and a new team. You can’t expect him to jump into the first team right away.
Right but he should be expected to break into an historic City’s XI at the same time?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Right but he should be expected to break into an historic City’s XI at the same time?
David should be expected to break into a team that is on the best run in PL history? We should all remember this is what the original conversation was about.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think he agreed to sign earlier in the year, so that might be it.

I agree, but I also don't expect that same kid to be getting play time with City. David will be somewhat older, but no matter where he goes, unless he stays, he will be going to a new team and likely a new country. I guess my point is that I don't think the EPL is the best developmental league, but 1) if he's good enough, he will get time except at some of the most elite teams; and 2) Sancho isn't the best counterpoint

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think he agreed to sign earlier in the year, so that might be it.

I agree, but I also don't expect that same kid to be getting play time with City. David will be somewhat older, but no matter where he goes, unless he stays, he will be going to a new team and likely a new country. I guess my point is that I don't think the EPL is the best developmental league, but 1) if he's good enough, he will get time except at some of the most elite teams; and 2) Sancho isn't the best counterpoint
1) we are talking about Liverpool 2) Sancho is a great example when comparing David going to Liverpool.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
1) we are talking about Liverpool 2) Sancho is a great example when comparing David going to Liverpool.
1) Liverpool is not nearly as deep as City; 2) no, he still isn't, because your point is that Sancho wasn't able to break into City but went to Dortmund and played well. This is not a good point because A) Sancho was not able to break into Dortmund immediately either, it took a whole year and we cannot say what would have happened had he stayed at City; B) Sancho was significantly younger, making it more unlikely he could break into a first team in a league that values physicality; and C) City is and was much deeper at Sancho's position than Liverpool at David's

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
1) Liverpool is not nearly as deep as City; 2) no, he still isn't, because your point is that Sancho wasn't able to break into City but went to Dortmund and played well. This is not a good point because A) Sancho was not able to break into Dortmund immediately either, it took a whole year and we cannot say what would have happened had he stayed at City; B) Sancho was significantly younger, making it more unlikely he could break into a first team in a league that values physicality; and C) City is and was much deeper at Sancho's position than Liverpool at David's
City has immense depth where most of their bench would start for most teams in the world. Liverpool might not have that but they still have Origi, Shaqiri (who’s better than David whether Canada fans want to admit it or not), AOC, and a bunch of young guys that very well could be as good as David. He’s a good player and one of the best Canada has produced in a while and he might even be world class at some point but it’s not like he’s going to become Messi, Ronaldo, or even Aguero.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
He would probably get Minamino type minutes with Liverpool to start. But I think he is better than Shaqiri, who has been pretty poor this season. It wouldn't take him too long to start making more appearances I think.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He would probably get Minamino type minutes with Liverpool to start. But I think he is better than Shaqiri, who has been pretty poor this season. It wouldn't take him too long to start making more appearances I think.
He’s not better than Shaqiri. He’s younger. He’s not better.

Reactions: AB13

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I thought the original conversation started from saying the PL teams were not good at developing talent.

Either way I don't think Sancho and David are comparable.
He’s not better than Shaqiri. He’s younger. He’s not better.
He's better, and younger as well as being better suited to a top team. Shaqiri is not good.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I thought the original conversation started from saying the PL teams were not good at developing talent.

Either way I don't think Sancho and David are comparable.

He's better, and younger as well as being better suited to a top team. Shaqiri is not good.
David is not good right now either then. No the original was you saying that David should go to Liverpool.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Hat trick for Jonathan David. He is now the top scorer in the Belgian league and 2nd most in assists.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
David is not good right now either then. No the original was you saying that David should go to Liverpool.
What? David is quite good. More important than just his skill he’s an incredibly hard working and intelligent footballer which is one of the reasons I think he’d succeed at a top club. His game intelligence alone is not even comparable to Shaqiri.

Liverpool has done really well bringing its young players along lately and I think David would be a good fit there.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
What? David is quite good. More important than just his skill he’s an incredibly hard working and intelligent footballer which is one of the reasons I think he’d succeed at a top club. His game intelligence alone is not even comparable to Shaqiri.

Liverpool has done really well bringing its young players along lately and I think David would be a good fit there.
I agree. If anything he is everything Klopp/LFC likes about a player. The work rate, the playmaking ability, the finishing and the potential to grow his game even more.
I am pretty sure he is somehow in Liverpool radar although there might be bigger fish (sancho).

I am well confident David will develop into a top player. He is really the new type of player that teams like (versatile, pacy, finishing, playmaker)

I do think he is better in another league (possibly ligue 1) that would help him develop at a decent pace. I read that Lyon could be interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: YNWA14

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

I’m not saying David is bad. That wasn’t my point. Shaqiri is proven at the highest level and in his prime. Even if he’s not playing right now, to say David is better than Shaqiri when he’s been doing it against players in the Belgian league is just false in my eyes. What David has done at such a young age is definitely impressive but he should go to a team where he will start a majority of games or at least play in a majority of games and at Liverpool that’s not going to be the case especially after bringing in Werner which it looks like is gonna happen.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Not that anyone is forgetting about Moukoko but he's been called up to the u19 German squad and he's also I believe in the middle of getting an application to be eligible to play in the Bundesliga at 16. Everyone knows why. He's now up to 31 goals and 8 assists in 18 games at the u19 level as a kid who turned 15 in November. Prodigious.
I’m not saying David is bad. That wasn’t my point. Shaqiri is proven at the highest level and in his prime. Even if he’s not playing right now, to say David is better than Shaqiri when he’s been doing it against players in the Belgian league is just false in my eyes. What David has done at such a young age is definitely impressive but he should go to a team where he will start a majority of games or at least play in a majority of games and at Liverpool that’s not going to be the case especially after bringing in Werner which it looks like is gonna happen.
I mean, Shaqiri isn't exactly proven in the sense that he's been moved on by every top team that's had him, and he's never really excelled (it's not like he was a gangbuster for Stoke either). He does well for the Swiss because the entire team revolves around him pretty much but a lot of players flourish in that kind of environment. I think David is the type of talent that will flourish regardless of where he goes because of the way he plays and the type of person he is off the field. Liverpool have been very good at bringing along their young players recently and I think he would fit into that next group very well. Still, I'm happy to see him go somewhere he'll get more minutes, but I see him being a much more successful player than Shaqiri on the whole.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Not that anyone is forgetting about Moukoko but he's been called up to the u19 German squad and he's also I believe in the middle of getting an application to be eligible to play in the Bundesliga at 16. Everyone knows why. He's now up to 31 goals and 8 assists in 18 games at the u19 level as a kid who turned 15 in November. Prodigious.
I mean, Shaqiri isn't exactly proven in the sense that he's been moved on by every top team that's had him, and he's never really excelled (it's not like he was a gangbuster for Stoke either). He does well for the Swiss because the entire team revolves around him pretty much but a lot of players flourish in that kind of environment. I think David is the type of talent that will flourish regardless of where he goes because of the way he plays and the type of person he is off the field. Liverpool have been very good at bringing along their young players recently and I think he would fit into that next group very well. Still, I'm happy to see him go somewhere he'll get more minutes, but I see him being a much more successful player than Shaqiri on the whole.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The DFB is about to change the age requirement to allow 16 year olds. I think that’ll be in place for next season. He might even get an exception to play before that, but I don’t think he’s going to start practicing with the first team full time before preseason of next season. A debut might come before he’s 16, but it’s probably at least six months away.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Having secured the trophy they played without a couple of their stars. Lost to Brazil but still celebrated. Crazy the amount of talent they could've had. Cant wait to see most of this group in the Olympics and maybe copa?

Didn't know where else to ask this but is Mateo Bajamich considered a prospect? Mateo Bajamich - Player profile 19/20

Not much info on him in English, it appears he is on some shortlist to make the Argentine Olympic squad despite playing in the Argentine 2nd division. I ask because the Croatia U21 manager says he is scouting him and is in the process of getting his Croatian citizenship so he's been in the news there last few days. He seems very interested in playing for Croatia as well, the question is now whether he will be eligible which has been a problem with previous Argentine-Croatians because of their often distant links to the country (grandparents or in some cases great-grandparents). In the past Daniel Bilos rejected Croatia and Dario Cvitanich was denied by FIFA, neither really went on to have great careers so I'm a bit skeptical about Bajamich especially considering its the second division. There is also Matko Miljevic who is playing for the US youth national teams though not much attention is given to him in the Croatian press yet

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Didn't know where else to ask this but is Mateo Bajamich considered a prospect? Mateo Bajamich - Player profile 19/20

Not much info on him in English, it appears he is on some shortlist to make the Argentine Olympic squad despite playing in the Argentine 2nd division. I ask because the Croatia U21 manager says he is scouting him and is in the process of getting his Croatian citizenship so he's been in the news there last few days. He seems very interested in playing for Croatia as well, the question is now whether he will be eligible which has been a problem with previous Argentine-Croatians because of their often distant links to the country (grandparents or in some cases great-grandparents). In the past Daniel Bilos rejected Croatia and Dario Cvitanich was denied by FIFA, neither really went on to have great careers so I'm a bit skeptical about Bajamich especially considering its the second division. There is also Matko Miljevic who is playing for the US youth national teams though not much attention is given to him in the Croatian press yet

Never seen him play... hasnt played for Argentina in their youth teams. I wouldnt be surprised to see him wanting to represent Croatia. Argentina is just too competitive for attackers. Even if you're decent you might not get even a sniff. His goal record in the 2nd division is pretty good though. Last one I remember who tore up the second division in Argentina was Dybala. So...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad