Soccer Prospect Discussion Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
It's totally meant to be sarcastic.

This is wrong on about a billion levels and I'm not sure why I'm giving it the honour of a response.

However you're giving me a lot of hope with your statement as I'm reading it as Arsenal have some really high potential youth players. Am I right?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Hannibal Mejbri's family claims he's out of contract with Monaco.
If he indeed is free, this one a MAJOR coup to be made for a top team.
Possibly the best 2003 player in the world. At the very least one of the top as of now.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Not a chance. Veltman, Mazraoui and Kristenssen are Ajax' RB's right now and neither look to be leaving. If anything, Ajax will upgrade on Kristenssen and not from within. Dest is still too raw; offensively very gifted, great pace and technique, but defensively still very vulnerable. He might make his debut next season when injuries appear and perhaps make some minutes in a cup game, but he should focus on Ajax II next season as well.

Will be interesting to see if he gets invited to training camp this summer. It usually means he'll get minutes somewhere that season. He's worked his way up from the U19 to Ajax II and is now the starting RB, stealing Navaro Bakboord's spot, so that's a nice indication that things are going well for him.

If things still don't look promising after next season, I'm sure he will be looked at to gain experience somewhere else, but I expect him to be with Ajax I in 2020/2021.

... he made the roster for the mini camp. I think Ten Hag wants to see what he got and if he's an upgrade on Kristenssen. Doubt he'll be selected for the real camp a few weeks from now, but he'll get his chances soon. I wasn't impressed with his outings during the WC U20, but he brings something neither Kristenssen or Veltman brings, so who knows.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is a sad story on many fronts. One of Mexico’s best up and coming players is in jail without bail for killing a married couple in a car accident the day after they got married. Maleck was supposedly under the influence of alcohol.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
As an Arsenal fan watching Guendouzi just frustrates me. Matteo Guendouzi was absolutely horrendous for us all season, but just got hyped because he is young. Guendouzi is not good enough to play for the first team. He can’t play a 1 or 2 touch pass, always takes too many touches which slows all our attacks down, loses every duel, runs around the pitch looking lost and never creates chances. He is supposed to cover for defense and control the tempo but he is completely unable to do both. He can not handle the physicality of the Premier League either at the moment, he would either need to develop his footballing brain and learn to find quick passes or gain 15 kilograms of pure muscle to stop getting physically abused on the pitch. For someone who rarely starts attacks and is poor defensively his statistics of 0 goals, 0 assists and 2 chances created in the Premier League are a joke. Our win percentage is 44% lower when Guendouzi is playing. It is a night and day difference. Our record with out him is on par with City and Liverpool, but our record with him is on par with West Ham. I would not mind selling him for the right price, I just don't see any potential in him, he is below average at basically everything, and people think he is good because he runs around a lot, but he just constantly runs out of position without a purpose. Being young does not mean you have potential.

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I've seen a lot of ridiculous claims on this board, but this one takes the cake. :laugh:

Looking at win percentage it is 79% without Guendouzi. Citys win percentage was 84% this season and Liverpools 80%. It is not far off at all. I am not saying we would be close if we never played Guendouzi but it is an interesting stat. It is a fact not an opinion that our record is similar to what City and Liverpool have without Guendouzi.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Explain how?
Well, frankly, it doesn't take much of an expert to see Guendouzi's talent. Guy is a midfield breathing room. He keeps the ball under pressure, makes smart passes to get out of midfield, positions himself extremely well between the lines, creates out of nothing, etc...

As for your %, imagine for one second someone using 5 games (over 38 league games) to make a winning % sample. That's really lame.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Well, frankly, it doesn't take much of an expert to see Guendouzi's talent. Guy is a midfield breathing room. He keeps the ball under pressure, makes smart passes to get out of midfield, positions himself extremely well between the lines, creates out of nothing, etc...

As for your %, imagine for one second someone using 5 games (over 38 league games) to make a winning % sample. That's really lame.

None of that is even remotely true at all. He very rarely makes a smart pass and never ever sees a pass that no one else does. He can’t do it on few touches either, so all it does when he completes a pass after the usual 10 touches on the ball is lead to the attacks slowing down and losing pace whenever he ferns it. His positioning sense is literally the worst I have ever seen by a professional footballer, I really question if you have ever watched him. He always leaves the defence exposed by being out of position which lead to so many goals against this season, look at the first goal city scored at the Emirates, the buildup which lead to the penalty against Palace or 2 of the goals we conceded at Stamford Bridge for example. All of them would have been avoided if Guendouzi was not out of position. He has the least chances created per 90 in the whole team so he really is not creative.

As for the win percentage, I looked at games he has and has not started, therefore it was 13 games, not 5.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah, indeed, nothing true about what you wrote.
Never makes a smart pass? :facepalm: His positionning is the worst by a pro footballer? Oh my...
I like that you questionned me ever seeing him. I was watching him and hyping him before you even knew his name.
Yes, he is creative. Given his position, that doesn't necessarily translate into assists or even shots, but that's beyond obvious.

Look, there really is nothing to debate here. Your post is absolutely horrible in terms of football evaluation, but you're convinced of the contrary. You're even ready to use lame stats samples to prove it. Go ahead, think what you want.
I don't think there's a single Arsenal fan here who thinks Guendouzi is trash except you.

He's certainly not perfect and has tons to learn. That's because he's 18 and hardly a finished product. But his level is absolutely amazing for his age, and more than anything, he demonstrates each games the qualities you say he doesn't have.

That'd be like someone here saying Messi can't score. At some point, there's nothing to argue.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Did anyone post this?

If someone did, I missed it. Apologies if it has been posted. It’s from a couple weeks back. L’Equipe top 50 players under 20 yrs old.

The top 50 U20 players in world football have been revealed

Reiss Nelson, Alexander Isak, Willam Saliba, Yari Verschueren and Sandro Tonali should be a lot higher, Gianluigi Donnarumma, Matteo Guendouzi, Evan Ndicka, Boubacar Kamara and Gelson Fernandes should be lower.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Yeah, indeed, nothing true about what you wrote.
Never makes a smart pass? :facepalm: His positionning is the worst by a pro footballer? Oh my...
I like that you questionned me ever seeing him. I was watching him and hyping him before you even knew his name.
Yes, he is creative. Given his position, that doesn't necessarily translate into assists or even shots, but that's beyond obvious.

Look, there really is nothing to debate here. Your post is absolutely horrible in terms of football evaluation, but you're convinced of the contrary. You're even ready to use lame stats samples to prove it. Go ahead, think what you want.
I don't think there's a single Arsenal fan here who thinks Guendouzi is trash except you.

He's certainly not perfect and has tons to learn. That's because he's 18 and hardly a finished product. But his level is absolutely amazing for his age, and more than anything, he demonstrates each games the qualities you say he doesn't have.

That'd be like someone here saying Messi can't score. At some point, there's nothing to argue.
He is 20 not 18, first of all.

He is not creative, not in the middle of the park either where the stats can't prove it. He can't find a pass at all in tight spaces, he is absolutely horrible at it, especially at one touch. Just look at the tons of comments on Arsenal posts about Guendouzi on social media and you will find that many Arsenal fans are trying there hardest to push the club into not playing Guendouzi.

The worst of all is that he sucks at what a player in his role is supposed to be good at. We lose so many counter attacking opportunities and rarely play fluid football with him on the pitch because he holds on to the ball for way too long every single time, which could indicate that he struggles to see any passing opportunities. His defensive play is a joke, he is extremely weak, and his positioning is horrible, I think you are the only one who doesn't think so. His positioning is constantly being ridiculed.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Reiss Nelson, Alexander Isak, Willam Saliba, Yari Verschueren and Sandro Tonali should be a lot higher, Gianluigi Donnarumma, Matteo Guendouzi, Evan Ndicka, Boubacar Kamara and Gelson Fernandes should be lower.
Please explain your evaluation of Kamara and why he should be lower.
What are his strengths, weaknesses, etc.
Please share.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He is 20 not 18, first of all.

He is not creative, not in the middle of the park either where the stats can't prove it. He can't find a pass at all in tight spaces, he is absolutely horrible at it, especially at one touch. Just look at the tons of comments on Arsenal posts about Guendouzi on social media and you will find that many Arsenal fans are trying there hardest to push the club into not playing Guendouzi.

The worst of all is that he sucks at what a player in his role is supposed to be good at. We lose so many counter attacking opportunities and rarely play fluid football with him on the pitch because he holds on to the ball for way too long every single time, which could indicate that he struggles to see any passing opportunities. His defensive play is a joke, he is extremely weak, and his positioning is horrible, I think you are the only one who doesn't think so. His positioning is constantly being ridiculed.
By blind people, I have no doubt.
For everyone else, Guendouzi's talents are obvious.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Please explain your evaluation of Kamara and why he should be lower.
What are his strengths, weaknesses, etc.
Please share.

Kamara is a solid centre back who is very calm and good on the ball, and has a decent reading of the game without the ball, and usually makes a few interceptions. His positioning sense is good, especially when he plays as a centre back. He is not forced into making touch challenges and forced into running duels because he is out of position too often. But when he is challenged one on one, I feel Kamara is relatively easy to beat for attackers, his 1 on 1 defending against quick attackers is rather underwhelming to me. He runs around a lot, but I feel Kamara is very physically weak and rather slow, although those can be compensated for at times by good positioning. There are a lot of players lower down on the list than Kamara who I feel are much more deserving of a higher spot, so that is the main reason I feel Kamara should be lower. It is more of a testament to them than a knock on Kamara, who I feel is ranked unfairly high.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
By blind people, I have no doubt.
For everyone else, Guendouzi's talents are obvious.

What talents? There is nothing, not a single detail of the game, he can do at Premier League level. He was the worst player on the pitch most games this season, and I feel the same can be said for his time in Ligue 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad