OT: Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
Leeds is currently top of the Championship table (could change later today). It would be great to have them back in the Premiership given their past precipitous decline and intense rivalries with Man U particularly.
Agree. I would also like to see Derby up there as well, but I think they are sitting in 6th at the moment so...

Im so torn on the City/Spurs matchup. I dont want city to win, but I also dont like the idea of Spurs winning anything either.

Can a sinkhole open up mid game and just swallow both teams, then have them reappear after the final?
As an Arsenal fan, I could not agree more.

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
6th is right on the edge. If they remain where they are they will at least be able to play in after the season.

Really? I don't know why but I thought winner was automatically promoted and the next 4 played to see who else gets to go up. But now that I think about it I realize I'm an idiot because it's the top 2 automatically promoted and the next 4 play for the final spot....it's early

Tought draw for UEL on you guys today.

Also, i want to see Derby up because... Super Frank

I know they somehow beat Rennes 3-0 yesterday and won on aggregate (after the first match I figured they were done tbh), but I haven't seen the draw....who'd they get?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Really? I don't know why but I thought winner was automatically promoted and the next 4 played to see who else gets to go up. But now that I think about it I realize I'm an idiot because it's the top 2 automatically promoted and the next 4 play for the final spot....it's early

I know they somehow beat Rennes 3-0 yesterday and won on aggregate (after the first match I figured they were done tbh), but I haven't seen the draw....who'd they get?

Napoli. If you progress, youll get the winner of Villareal/Valencia.

Chelsea drew Slavia Prague, and if they advance, they play the winner of Benfica/Frankfurt.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
So no one talks MLS here? Shame. I'm an ATL UTD season ticket holder. Gonna whoop some philly a$$ this weekend tbh.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Agree. I would also like to see Derby up there as well, but I think they are sitting in 6th at the moment so....

Nothing worse has ever been written on HF.

_105797348_dw1.jpg

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Miggy Almiron just set a buying record for Newcastle *Kanye Shrug*

And they're consistently a bottom half of the table team. Forgive me if Im not overly excited about a 25Million overpay when players are being sold for 200M. Generally speaking, very good players at age 25 go for a lot more than that. I also dont know what a Kanye shrug is, but sure, if that helps you feel better about it, by all means.

A few years back, i went to a game where Stoke basically played their B side against the Union's A side at PPL park, and Stoke still won handily. And that was when the union were consistently making the playoffs

That said, im not as down on the MLS as most 'purists' are. But the drop off in talent is sizeable, and I dont have all day to watch football in my house. If i have to prioritize the viewership, its definitely going to be pretty much any EPL game over any MLS game. .

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Do any of you guys play?

Play indoor for fun with my buddies. Played travel soccer as a goalkeeper until high school where I decided to play a different sport in the fall, because A. I wasn't very good, and B. My high school was and still is a soccer powerhouse.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Do any of you guys play?

Indoor quite a bit. Have played in the Casa outdoor league in the Philly area in the past. Im too short to play outdoor keeper, and given i played hockey goalie, my game is more suited to an indoor rink anyway.

I make a decent enough right back, but i have no left foot, so i find myself in a bind sometimes.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
And they're consistently a bottom half of the table team. Forgive me if Im not overly excited about a 25Million overpay when players are being sold for 200M. Generally speaking, very good players at age 25 go for a lot more than that. I also dont know what a Kanye shrug is, but sure, if that helps you feel better about it, by all means.

A few years back, i went to a game where Stoke basically played their B side against the Union's A side at PPL park, and Stoke still won handily. And that was when the union were consistently making the playoffs

That said, im not as down on the MLS as most 'purists' are. But the drop off in talent is sizeable, and I dont have all day to watch football in my house. If i have to prioritize the viewership, its definitely going to be pretty much any EPL game over any MLS game. .

You must be a bit on the old side RE: Kanye Shrug.

Almiron is consistently looking like the best player on the field for Newcastle each game.

You also forget that MLS has this thing called a salary cap. It's not bad soccer, though. There are only a couple MLS teams worth watching so I get your point though. Most owners are cheap and don't want to spend any money to make their team better.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
You must be a bit on the old side, considering Almiron is consistently looking like the best player on the field for Newcastle each game.

You also forget that MLS has this thing called a salary cap. It's not bad soccer, though. There are only a couple MLS teams worth watching so I get your point though. Most owners are cheap and don't want to spend any money to make their team better.

I'm 35(technicaly still 34 for a few days), hardly old. Being the best player on the field for a bad team doenst move the needle much for me, im sorry. Almiron is a good player and i'm glad he has seemingly made the transition. But even the all time greats of MLS had a minimal impact when they were over in the EPL. None of them were able to crack top teams, except for Howard. The talent gap between the two leagues is incredible.

Have not forgotten that theres a salary cap - but i also havent forgotten that theres a good reason the top players in the EPL are making in a week what some of the top players in the MLS are in a year. And while a good portion of that has to do with the TV contract that the EPL gets, its also largely due to the fact that the players are just that much better. MLS teams can barely even compete in the Concacaf CL.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Courtois making his best Courtois impression again

He's so remarkably average, it's pathetic. It's rarer to see him make an incredible save than to see something like this. Most of his saves only looked good because he could cover more of the net with his lanky frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad