OT: Soccer/Football Thread Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Do you guys talk about anything other than Premier League?

Not very often. Some random MLS talk on occasion and a little bit of Serie A. Otherwise, mostly PL since its what gets the most broadcast time here. I dabble in watching Bundesliga and LA Liga, but neither league in total is all that interesting to me.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I'm a proponent of the VAR. They can't always get it right because some players just are too good at cheating, but I think all in all it has reduced the number of wrong decisions.

Reactions: Curufinwe

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I'm a proponent of the VAR. They can't always get it right because some players just are too good at cheating, but I think all in all it has reduced the number of wrong decisions.

There were 3 wrong VAR decisions last night alone

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
EPL confirms three wrong VAR decisions from today's games

Just scrap the whole thing until you figure it out how to properly review these incidents, morons.

What a disaster this has been for the EPL this season.

It's an absolute disaster from start to finish. It isn't making right decisions, it's getting decisions wrong in a different way.

The handball rule is an easy fix. Absolutely ridiculous which goals are being disallowed right now. The rule has never been that merely hitting your hand is a free kick alone.

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Would those decisions have been right without the VAR? It's still a new system. It's not perfect (yet). But it should improve over time.

For me it needs to restrain what decisions it's making. Fouls are rarely black and white, same as handball. Goal line tech (usually) works fine and offside is a line. The rest needs to be restricted because it's a subjective farce right now.

I really don't think it has. Most incorrect decisions are made in random occasions up and down the pitch. The big flashpoints such as goals, penalties and reds really don't seem to be any more accurate than before.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
For me it needs to restrain what decisions it's making. Fouls are rarely black and white, same as handball. Goal line tech (usually) works fine and offside is a line. The rest needs to be restricted because it's a subjective farce right now.

I really don't think it has. Most incorrect decisions are made in random occasions up and down the pitch. The big flashpoints such as goals, penalties and reds really don't seem to be any more accurate than before.

They aren't. I've seen more botched red/yellow calls than ever. The Fernandes penalty last night is the perfect example. I'm not sure how you review that and say its a penalty. I'm not saying Fernandes should've seen red - but he definitely does not get a penalty there.

I'm all for VAR if they can get it right, because i think the people that clamor about "the spirit of the game" and "ruining the continuity" are absolute rubbish. Id rather take a 2 minute break than have one wrong call toss the game. Calling the game correctly is more important than keeping it fluid. But that requires that the stoppages be warranted and impactful, leading to the correct results. If they arent going to call it right, then get rid of it altogether.

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

I think the rules are the problem, not the VAR. The handball rule, for example, is a complete mess. You're right, a lot of the decisions are subjective. But that's mostly because of the rules, imo.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
EPL confirms three wrong VAR decisions from today's games

Just scrap the whole thing until you figure it out how to properly review these incidents, morons.

What a disaster this has been for the EPL this season.

They don't have to scrap VAR at all - what they need to do is fire nearly every single official they have. First, they are terrible at officiating the matches, and have been for a very long time. Second, they are the same ones who are sitting at the VAR table making the decisions, or more often, failing to make the decisions. Whether it's the back-patting of the old boys network or simple incompetence, the vast majority of the problems with VAR have been human error by humans who have shown to be completely incompetent whether on the field or in the booth. Martin Atkinson, Jon Moss, Antony Taylor, Craig Pawson, the list goes on - these are terrible, terrible officials. It's the one area where every team (with the exception of United) has been royally screwed over fairly constantly, so isn't the result of bias and banter.

People try to remind you all the time how difficult officiating is, and while that's true, it shouldn't be this difficult. They are awful.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
They don't have to scrap VAR at all - what they need to do is fire nearly every single official they have. First, they are terrible at officiating the matches, and have been for a very long time. Second, they are the same ones who are sitting at the VAR table making the decisions, or more often, failing to make the decisions. Whether it's the back-patting of the old boys network or simple incompetence, the vast majority of the problems with VAR have been human error by humans who have shown to be completely incompetent whether on the field or in the booth. Martin Atkinson, Jon Moss, Antony Taylor, Craig Pawson, the list goes on - these are terrible, terrible officials. It's the one area where every team (with the exception of United) has been royally screwed over fairly constantly, so isn't the result of bias and banter.

People try to remind you all the time how difficult officiating is, and while that's true, it shouldn't be this difficult. They are awful.

Great post.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016

United have had 3 or 4 decisions go against them with VAR this year too. The Everton- De Gea one could cost us a top 4 place. It's been an absolute gong show all year.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
United have had 3 or 4 decisions go against them with VAR this year too. The Everton- De Gea one could cost us a top 4 place. It's been an absolute gong show all year.

United have been given a literal record number of penalties with four matches to go, which is the only reason they are within screaming distance of the top four. I'm not even trying to cause trouble or spew bantz or anything - that's just the very, very clear truth of the season. That's why I excluded them. I take your point that the officials suck and obviously very strongly agree with you.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
As if you’re having another World Cup after 32 years yet we haven’t had one in 56 and counting.

I mean, we won't even qualify, so thered be no hometown advantage. At least let us be gracious hosts so maybe we can spark some interest in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad