OT: Soccer/Football Thread Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
when lester won the title, they had one big advantage over everyone else contending; no european footy. they are plowing ahead again without these mid-week distractions and I would be very surprised if they don't finish top 4, especially given man u/tots/arse's form, which is atrocious for all 3 clubs. they've also made some astute signing and have a really well-balanced lineup. two away fixtures to liverpool & chelsea are also in their rear view mirror.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I stayed up late to watch the tottenham game on dvr this morning. That first minute got me believing. Then it was just pins and needles until the second goal was surrendered. Tottenham can't even park the bus correctly.

Once upon a time, Philadelphia was the largest English speaking city in the world after London. Being a Philadelphia fan, and adopting Tottenham seems to be kismet. Can't have nice things.

I'm on #TeamPoch, but gosh this is getting brutal. Two Son shots off the woodwork, at least one was put back. Silver lining, our back-up goalie looks in sss to be starter quality. Brave performance by the Argentine.

Other plus, now don't have to avoid this thread. Couldn't even hold on for a draw...

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I stayed up late to watch the tottenham game on dvr this morning. That first minute got me believing. Then it was just pins and needles until the second goal was surrendered. Tottenham can't even park the bus correctly.

Once upon a time, Philadelphia was the largest English speaking city in the world after London. Being a Philadelphia fan, and adopting Tottenham seems to be kismet. Can't have nice things.

I'm on #TeamPoch, but gosh this is getting brutal. Two Son shots off the woodwork, at least one was put back. Silver lining, our back-up goalie looks in sss to be starter quality. Brave performance by the Argentine.

Other plus, now don't have to avoid this thread. Couldn't even hold on for a draw...

No truer words were ever spoken.

Reactions: Flyersfan1493

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
No truer words were ever spoken.
In my exposure to EPL, I first eschewed Tottenham because they were the focus of the commercials with the faux-American football coach infiltrating English football (SNL actor, turned movie actor, Jason Sudeikis). I had it in mind I wanted at least one American on the squad I rooted for, jingoism at it's finest. I initially picked Sunderland because Jozy Altidore.

Upon learning what relegation was, jumped ship quick (plus that's a red team, and red teams are bad.) Happened in a fluke to catch Brad Friedel in his swan-song season and a fan was born. Tottenham is a blue team, and blue teams are good.

Woe is me.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Aaah Friedel
Was a goalie, glommed on to Tots because they had Friedel & Kasey K. Keller. Americans! And because one of the first prem games I ever saw featured a older Klinsmann potting 4 goals and having the primary assist on the 2 other goals they scored that day. Still one of the best individual performances I ever saw. Woe is us.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Lol... I picked Spurs by process of elimination. I first got into the PL because of a good friend who was from Manchester and a huge United fan. Kind of followed them for a while but decided to pick my own team. Wanted a big 6 team (that relegation thing) so ruled out LFC and City for obvious reasons. Couldn’t pick Arsenal because to me they are the Dallas Cowboys of the PL. Couldn’t pick Chelsea because... hooligans. So that left Spurs. And it didn’t hurt that they are a blue team.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
In my exposure to EPL, I first eschewed Tottenham because they were the focus of the commercials with the faux-American football coach infiltrating English football (SNL actor, turned movie actor, Jason Sudeikis). I had it in mind I wanted at least one American on the squad I rooted for, jingoism at it's finest. I initially picked Sunderland because Jozy Altidore.

Upon learning what relegation was, jumped ship quick (plus that's a red team, and red teams are bad.) Happened in a fluke to catch Brad Friedel in his swan-song season and a fan was born. Tottenham is a blue team, and blue teams are good.

Woe is me.

Those Sudekis commercials are literally the best of all time.

"Ties, and no playoffs. Why do yall even do this?" "

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Agreed that was bad
Amazing how bad it's been
I'm not in the "it's ruining the game" crowd but it's ruining some games, which is the opposite of what it's supposed to do

Yeah, it feels like the use of it isnt standard at all. Its bad when the NFL pass interference review is in a better spot than you are. They may be getting it wrong, but at least they consistently get it wrong. VAR is all over the board.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I know that this is going to sound very homer-esque, but that was the most egregious VAR mistake I've seen.

It's crazy homerish to say that - that wasn't in the top 50 most egregious things we have seen - but I do understand the feeling. It has screwed over just about every single team at one point or another.

The tech is fine, more or less (although there are so many problems with the line they draw for offsides that it's almost counterproductive to even use it in very close calls) - the problem is that they have the same incompetent officials who boink their way across the field normally controlling the VAR decisions. The league desperately needs an entire new batch, and they need to get rid of the head of officials, Mike Riley, who was unspeakably terrible as a ref himself, but before they do that they could hand over VAR to an independent group outside of the on-field officials. At the very least, it would erase the very, very obvious bias that is going on, where they won't overturn their pals' calls. It's completely diabolical at the moment.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It's crazy homerish to say that - that wasn't in the top 50 most egregious things we have seen - but I do understand the feeling. It has screwed over just about every single team at one point or another.

The tech is fine, more or less (although there are so many problems with the line they draw for offsides that it's almost counterproductive to even use it in very close calls) - the problem is that they have the same incompetent officials who boink their way across the field normally controlling the VAR decisions. The league desperately needs an entire new batch, and they need to get rid of the head of officials, Mike Riley, who was unspeakably terrible as a ref himself, but before they do that they could hand over VAR to an independent group outside of the on-field officials. At the very least, it would erase the very, very obvious bias that is going on, where they won't overturn their pals' calls. It's completely diabolical at the moment.

I mean, I guess ultimately all the mistakes Re pretty egregious. This one just seemed particularly bad given the contact was exceptionally minimal, he took steps afterwards, and only went down AFTER he realized he had no room or angle to take a shot. Either way, it's bad.

I agree that the tech ology is great. I love the idea of VAR. But the execution is f***ing terrible.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I mean, I guess ultimately all the mistakes Re pretty egregious. This one just seemed particularly bad given the contact was exceptionally minimal, he took steps afterwards, and only went down AFTER he realized he had no room or angle to take a shot. Either way, it's bad.

I agree that the tech ology is great. I love the idea of VAR. But the execution is ****ing terrible.

It was a bad call, but at least there was contact - weak-ass contact, but it was there. Mane got stamped on and was booked for diving. Which he did, but it should have been superseded by the stamping. It's all just random and gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->