OT: Soccer/Football Thread Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
That Hawkeye error today is dreadful. When the system you design fails for exactly the reason why you were asked to provide your service, you should be fired on the spot.

EPL should refuse to pay a dime for the remainder of the contract.

All of that is true, but you have a failsafe sitting right there behind the VAR desk, and once again - for the billionth time this season - that person (who happens to be one of the countless atrocious refs in the league) has failed to do his job.He had 69 seconds before the ball went out to call down and at least have a word with Oliver, and he didn't. Pathetic, and that part of it is 100% human error.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
All of that is true, but you have a failsafe sitting right there behind the VAR desk, and once again - for the billionth time this season - that person (who happens to be one of the countless atrocious refs in the league) has failed to do his job.He had 69 seconds before the ball went out to call down and at least have a word with Oliver, and he didn't. Pathetic, and that part of it is 100% human error.

I swear they do it on purpose to create more controversy and get more people talking about it...

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Was watching Ronaldinho highlights today. I have no idea if he was one of the best players in the game's history, but he was so slick and innovative.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Was watching Ronaldinho highlights today. I have no idea if he was one of the best players in the game's history, but he was so slick and innovative.

One of the best of his era... but not one of the best all-time. Unless talking top ~50 or so.

Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Cafu and Roberto Carlos were arguably all similar/better on the same team at the same time. But that was a special Brazil team. The best since the 1970s. For a short while there was an argument that he was the best player on earth... but it was never "clear" that he was.

If you want more highlight videos, check this one out:

One of the most underrated players ever, who not many outside of European football fans know. Not close to one of the best all-time... but could have been if England had ever bothered to harness his talent. One of those players who other players loved more than pundits and managers. And jeez what highlights. One of the best strikers of a ball ever.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
One of the best of his era... but not one of the best all-time. Unless talking top ~50 or so.

Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Cafu and Roberto Carlos were arguably all similar/better on the same team at the same time. But that was a special Brazil team. The best since the 1970s. For a short while there was an argument that he was the best player on earth... but it was never "clear" that he was.

One of the most underrated players ever, who not many outside of European football fans know. Not close to one of the best all-time... but could have been if England had ever bothered to harness his talent. One of those players who other players loved more than pundits and managers. And jeez what highlights. One of the best strikers of a ball ever.

Precision striking with both feet, which is far more rare than it should be.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019

The Le Tissier episode of Neville’s podcast he does with ex players is great. What a talent and he never left for a bigger club because of loyalty to the team that gave him a chance.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The Le Tissier episode of Neville’s podcast he does with ex players is great. What a talent and he never left for a bigger club because of loyalty to the team that gave him a chance.

Yeh, probably the most talented player England have produced in the last ~50 years.

From 1989-98 scored 175 goals in 382 games... from midfield. Including 3x 20+ goal seasons in the Prem/top tier. Yet England only gave him 8 caps.

He was a better player than Gasoigne over that time who while very talented was gifted his spot at times when playing in Scottish league, not playing for his club etc.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Like Lindros with hockey... Kluivert was the guy as a kid I just idolised.

Kind of a bit like a football equivelent of Lindros as well. Big man with little man skill who could do everything. So fast, so strong, so skilled and had real panache too.

Plus, wow, that Ajax team:

van der Saar, Rijkaard, Blind, R. de Boer, F. de Boer Reiziger, Davids, Seedorf, George, Kanu, Overmars, Bergkamp, Litmanen, van Vossen, Kluivert... poetry in motion.

They were Barcelona before Barcelona were.

The 1994-95 Ajax team is arguably the greatest club football team in history really. Champions league and Eredivisie wins without losing a single game...

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Kind of a bit like a football equivelent of Lindros as well. Big man with little man skill who could do everything. So fast, so strong, so skilled and had real panache too.

van der Saar, Rijkaard, Blind, R. de Boer, F. de Boer Reiziger, Davids, Seedorf, George, Kanu, Overmars, Bergkamp, Litmanen, van Vossen, Kluivert... poetry in motion.

The 1994-95 Ajax team is arguably the greatest club football team in history really. Champions league and Eredivisie wins without losing a single game...

Great, now youre stirring up the gooners and their ancient history lessons...

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Great player. But overshadowed by Scholes slightly for me.

I take Gerrard over Lampard though... albeit not by much. All three could easily have played together too had England ever realised they could have a 5 man midfield and that Scholes and Gerrard could both play deep.

We can't be friends anymore.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Great player. But overshadowed by Scholes slightly for me.

I take Gerrard over Lampard though... albeit not by much. All three could easily have played together too had England ever realised they could have a 5 man midfield and that Scholes and Gerrard could both play deep.

The biggest mistake England made during the Lampard/Gerrard era was not playing Michael Carrick. They keep trying those two and it never clicked.

Carrick moved to United after Chelsea had won two titles in a row. United won 3 in a row. He was a huge reason why.

He would have stabilized the midfield of that “golden generation “ as a holding player. Very underrated passer of the ball.

Just my two cents as a united fan.....lol

Reactions: Starat327

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
We can't be friends anymore.

What is funny thiugh is that if I played them in same midfield it would be Gerrard defering to Lampard and playing deeper as a result.

Gerrard was better defensively and controlled play better. While Lampard was better offensively with a better shot.

Rooney/Owen
Cole-Lampard-Beckham
Gerrard-Scholes
Cole-Campbell/Terry/King-Ferdinand-Neville
James

Would have won a tournament between 04-08 if deployed more like that I am sure. Put on Hargreaves for Scholes at 60 minutes when want some stability with a lead.

Reactions: Starat327

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The biggest mistake England made during the Lampard/Gerrard era was not playing Michael Carrick. They keep trying those two and it never clicked.

Carrick moved to United after Chelsea had won two titles in a row. United won 3 in a row. He was a huge reason why.

He would have stabilized the midfield of that “golden generation “ as a holding player. Very underrated passer of the ball.

Just my two cents as a united fan.....lol

Later era maybe. But the rest of Englands team had faded by then and did not have world class players in every position. 04-08 was best bet.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

It's pretty unbelievable that a 90's Dutch national team didn't bring home some hardware after breaking through in Euro 88.

They were at the end of their prominence in 2002, but it was still shocking to see them miss out on World Cup qualification. I had forgotten that it was Portugal and Ireland that kept them out.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
What is funny thiugh is that if I played them in same midfield it would be Gerrard defering to Lampard and playing deeper as a result.

Gerrard was better defensively and controlled play better. While Lampard was better offensively with a better shot.

Rooney/Owen
Cole-Lampard-Beckham
Gerrard-Scholes
Cole-Campbell/Terry/King-Ferdinand-Neville
James

Would have won a tournament between 04-08 if deployed more like that I am sure. Put on Hargreaves for Scholes at 60 minutes when want some stability with a lead.

I dont disagree with the Gerrard being better defensively. I'm obviously biased here, but Lampard is probably my favorite player of all time. He was just such a beast when he played, and (almost) always with the right attitude, too. If i was starting a team and had them both to choose from, I'd have to tank Frankie, but i can understand why someone might take Gerrard.

And yeah, that England team should have been absolutely dominant. For the life of me, I can't understand how they never went anywhere. The bright side is that England's younger players are looking much better these days, so they may be the next 'big' team now that Belgium have mostly fizzled out.

Belgium not putting in a better showing in the last world cup/Euros was baffling to me too. That was another stacked team - albeit maybe not quite at the level of the England team here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->