OT: Soccer/Football Thread Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Remember Tresor Mputu? Basically the best player in Africa, Arsenal were looking at him, great goalscorer who played attacking mid and striker... basically never got a move to a Euro club as was a lunatic loose cannon:

First game of AFCON when EVERYONE was watching him and expecting him to sign in Europe.

A few years later... got him a year ban from all football.

aside from that, I remember him... becuase his first name in Czech (tresor/trezor) is this:

trezor-toscana-65-el.jpg

Always made me chuckle. Yes, I am immature

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Well because I was bored I thought about what my favourite 18 would be... all-time:

ST: Thierry Henry
ST: Patrick Kluivert
AM: Francesco Totti
LW: Georgi Kinkladze
RW: Shaun Wright-Phillips
CM: Clarence Seedorf
LWB: Ze Roberto
CB: Vincent Kompany
CB: Olaf Mellberg
RWB: Christian Karembeau
GK: Gianluigi Buffon

SUBS:

Carlos Kameni
Jon Arne Riise
Edgar Davids
Marc-Vivien Foe
Matt Le Tissier
Sergio Aguero
Uwe Rosler

Would be a lot of fun.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Also... if anyone has five minutes to watch probably the most fun & skillful footballer you have never heard of...

Maybe best feet I have ever seen for a City player alongside David Silva and De Bruyne.

But he liked partying too much... even still was very good later in career in Prem for Derby playing deeper lying midfield role.

Last edited:

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Also... if anyone has five minutes to watch probably the most fun & skillful footballer you have never heard of...

Maybe best feet I have ever seen for a City player alongside David Silva and De Bruyne.

But he liked partying too much... even still was very good later in career in Prem for Derby playing deeper lying midfield role.

First you don’t pick Andy Reid and then you pick a Derby player. It’s like I don’t know you at all Alex.

Reactions: Appleyard

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Adding Werner and Ziyech should be illegal

Adding werner 9n replacement of a soft morata should be illegal. Ziyech is just the cherry on the top. If we can get a competent LB (Porto) and an upgrade at CB. Well be in great shape. In theory, we still have 60ish mil leftover from Hazard sale (take out Ziyech) to spend, before figuring in whatever fee we get from Plameri/Alonso.

Its obviously not that simple, but its a good situation to be in, for sure.

Reactions: BigToe

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Adding werner 9n replacement of a soft morata should be illegal. Ziyech is just the cherry on the top. If we can get a competent LB (Porto) and an upgrade at CB. Well be in great shape. In theory, we still have 60ish mil leftover from Hazard sale (take out Ziyech) to spend, before figuring in whatever fee we get from Plameri/Alonso.

Its obviously not that simple, but its a good situation to be in, for sure.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

There was a rumor we tried getting him in January, but obviously Leicester werent going to sell during the winter. I didn't think they'd sell in the summer either, because hes so good, and because Leicester are actually competitive (somehow. BR is an idiot, but somethings working). But who knows. I also didnt expect us to be active because Abramovich's money comes from oil which took a huge hit during all this.

If Leicester are having financial issues ( I havent looked into who is running the show since their owner tragically passed away), it becomes slightly more feasible. I still think we end up with Alex Telles, but I would prefer Chillwell, even at the heftier price, I think.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
There was a rumor we tried getting him in January, but obviously Leicester werent going to sell during the winter. I didn't think they'd sell in the summer either, because hes so good, and because Leicester are actually competitive (somehow. BR is an idiot, but somethings working). But who knows. I also didnt expect us to be active because Abramovich's money comes from oil which took a huge hit during all this.

If Leicester are having financial issues ( I havent looked into who is running the show since their owner tragically passed away), it becomes slightly more feasible. I still think we end up with Alex Telles, but I would prefer Chillwell, even at the heftier price, I think.
Apparently Tagliafico is on the shortlist as well. I know all three are pretty good, but I don’t watch enough to know the best option.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Apparently Tagliafico is on the shortlist as well. I know all three are pretty good, but I don’t watch enough to know the best option.

'Best' is probably Telles. But Chillwell is no slouch, arguably the best LB in the PL (robertson maybe?), he's also English, so it frees up a non-English player spot, and hes younger than the other two I believe, so there's value in that as well.

I'd honestly be ok with any of them. I'm not sure what its going to look like when we do buy someone though, because the Reece James should have the RB spot sewn up, and Azpi is still the captain, so presumably he starts as well, unless they just take the captaincy from him and he becomes the backup RB/LB.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
'Best' is probably Telles. But Chillwell is no slouch, arguably the best LB in the PL (robertson maybe?), he's also English, so it frees up a non-English player spot, and hes younger than the other two I believe, so there's value in that as well.

I'd honestly be ok with any of them. I'm not sure what its going to look like when we do buy someone though, because the Reece James should have the RB spot sewn up, and Azpi is still the captain, so presumably he starts as well, unless they just take the captaincy from him and he becomes the backup RB/LB.
Looks like you guys are in on Havertz too.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Looks like you guys are in on Havertz too.

Ive been monitoring this one, and Im honestly baffled by it. Havertz is a phenomenal talent, dont get me wrong. But we're going to have, in no particular order, Werner, Abraham, Pulisic, CHO, Giroud as forward- type players. If Havertz comes in, one of them has to go. Werner, Havertz, Abraham, Pulisic and to a lesser extent, CHO are all too good to just be bench players, and Lampard is reluctant to use anything but a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3. The midfield is outrageously packed as well, with Ziyech, Loftus-Cheek, Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, and the emergence of Billy Gilmour, as well as Ethan Ampadu's load at RB comign to an end this season. Theres rumors we're trying to get Declan Rice as well, though that is reportedly tied to Kante's exit to Real, so i guess that solves itself.

Meanwhile, on D we have Rudinger, Christensen, Zouma, Tomori at CB, then James/Azpi on RB and Emerson/Alonso on LB.

I know where i'd be spending my money.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Ive been monitoring this one, and Im honestly baffled by it. Havertz is a phenomenal talent, dont get me wrong. But we're going to have, in no particular order, Werner, Abraham, Pulisic, CHO, Giroud as forward- type players. If Havertz comes in, one of them has to go. Werner, Havertz, Abraham, Pulisic and to a lesser extent, CHO are all too good to just be bench players, and Lampard is reluctant to use anything but a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3. The midfield is outrageously packed as well, with Ziyech, Loftus-Cheek, Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, and the emergence of Billy Gilmour, as well as Ethan Ampadu's load at RB comign to an end this season. Theres rumors we're trying to get Declan Rice as well, though that is reportedly tied to Kante's exit to Real, so i guess that solves itself.

Meanwhile, on D we have Rudinger, Christensen, Zouma, Tomori at CB, then James/Azpi on RB and Emerson/Alonso on LB.

I know where i'd be spending my money.
I thought Giroud was on his way out regardless? Don't you guys need a better goalie as well?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I thought Giroud was on his way out regardless? Don't you guys need a better goalie as well?

We extended him a year, most likely so we can David Luiz him like we did to Arsenal last year, but that still technically leaves Batshuayi in the wings as well, as useless as he is.

I'm honestly not as concerned about keeper as a lot of people are. Kepa can be frustrating, but he also didnt have a great D in front of him last year. I put far less stock in the keeper position than most because the impact on the game is, when compared to others of the same position, and drawn out of a period of time, marginal to me. Sure, some keepers are worth it - pre-new Contract De Gea comes to mind - but as a whole, they are going to make some great saves, and theyre going to let in some stinkers. But by and large, they are a position i think you can mostly (again, with a few exceptions) swap one for another and see no real change in effect. Unless, of course, you are asking your keeper to play a different role, like Pep does with his keepers.

If we can sell Kepa, buy someone like Onana, and break even or come out on top moneywise, sure. Otherwise - its just not worth taking the loss of $ on to me.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
So now that we have virtual crowd noise at matches, why not take the next obvious step? CGI fans in the seats. Think of how much fun it could be. The camera pans around the stadium and there is... Shrek! Maybe a few Dementors hovering above the stadium. I think I’ve seen the future.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
That Hawkeye error today is dreadful. When the system you design fails for exactly the reason why you were asked to provide your service, you should be fired on the spot.

EPL should refuse to pay a dime for the remainder of the contract.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->