OT: Soccer/Football Thread Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yea, I think top guys leaving would have a bigger impact though. Imagine KDB leaving for Bayern or something.

For sure - I wouldnt want to stick around if i were him. All of these players that have been there for a little while have won everything they can at the club level. Theyre going to lose a few players whose contracts are up, and theyre not going to be able to bring anyone in if their ban sticks (which i dont expect it to).

Reactions: BigToe

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I think he might be up then but I feel like I heard this being referred to as a farewell tour season for him.

Maybe i'm thinking of someone else.

He just signed a one year extension last year, taking him through 2021. The talk of this ban has been in the works for a while, which is why I think he was only willing to commit to the one additional year. I do believe hes said in the past though that he doesnt want to manage until hes 70 like the other guys. I think he goes one more place - Serie A or Ligue - for one more league title and then calls it quits.

Maybe you can get him to replace Sarri when he finishes 2nd.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
He just signed a one year extension last year, taking him through 2021. The talk of this ban has been in the works for a while, which is why I think he was only willing to commit to the one additional year. I do believe hes said in the past though that he doesnt want to manage until hes 70 like the other guys. I think he goes one more place - Serie A or Ligue - for one more league title and then calls it quits.

Maybe you can get him to replace Sarri when he finishes 2nd.

giphy.webp

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Thank heaven he hasn't gone totally soft :laugh:

I heard a clip earlier but cant find it where he was asked about alderweireld (sp) missing this weeks game because his wife just had a baby and he goes "hes a professional footballer. He was there for the birth and now he has a job to do, just like the mother" or something to that effect.

Also, if that's your dog, I'm stealing it.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I heard a clip earlier but cant find it where he was asked about alderweireld (sp) missing this weeks game because his wife just had a baby and he goes "hes a professional footballer. He was there for the birth and now he has a job to do, just like the mother" or something to that effect.

Also, if that's your dog, I'm stealing it.

So the kinder and gentler thing is all relative.

Yes, that's my boy.

Reactions: Starat327

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Yeah, he still needs to stay relevant somehow. Shock and awe has always been his thing. Doubt that'll change now.

He's gorgeous.

So far I think he's been good. The team is playing better than they were at the end under Poch, he's gotten some promising young talent, and he's got a summer transfer window to look forward to. Obviously long term was always the concern but so far so good.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Spurs escape by the skin of their teeth. They really could have used Harry Kane today, so many good chances that didn't pan out. Bergwijn looking like an excellent addition.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Incredibly unlikely they take it that far. The FA didnt even take real action to begin with, and they knew about this before UEFA.

But at least it’s talked about instead of giving players immunity when it was a “player driven” scheme.

Plus the Champions League ban as is is 10x what they received.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
But at least it’s talked about instead of giving players immunity when it was a “player driven” scheme.

Plus the Champions League ban as is is 10x what they received.

Oh, agreed. I just woulsnt get your hopes up if you're a pool fan. The FA is about as limp dick as the MLB except for when it comes to "bringing the game into disrepute" by criticizing refs.

That said, if this happens, 'pool could potentially collect the 19 and 14 titles. NO PL titles in however many years then BAM 3 in one.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Don’t watch baseball. What’s the reference?

Astros got caught using video technology to steal signs and use banging on trash cans to let hitters know when an offspeed pitch was being thrown during their 2017 World Series winning season.

A former player called them out as a whistleblower and MLB investigated it but in the process gave the players immunity for their testimony. Essentially not punishing the team at all outside of the coach and GM being fired (after a year ban).

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
If the Sox pitcher and catcher noticed it in game why didn’t they bring it up right after the game was over?

For the same reason we cant allow VAR to review plays to make sure we get the right call. Youd ruin the 'spirit' of the game. Who cares if the end result isnt correct, so long as we get to watch it fluidly, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad