Sobering Thoughts

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Funny how our perception of this team turned beginning last year. Up to last year, we had a great run of making the playoffs, and then finally winning two series. A loss to the Yotes, along with the Russian Curfew-Gate, followed by the desertion of Suter, sent us in a direction we’ve rarely seen in Smashville since we started to make the Playoffs in Year 6: Regression!

Except for the one year after “The Sell-off†where we didn’t make the playoffs (although even that year we weren’t out until the last game), we hadn’t played a meaningless game since 2004 before last year. Everything was a building block, even when we lost. First playoff series, first playoff home game win, first playoff road game win, first playoff series win, etc. We never won the Division because Detroit or Chicago always won the Division. We were 4th seed several times. We were up-and-coming. The Pekka-Weber-Suter core was the best goalie – D1 Pair in the league. For 30 minutes of every game, we could shut you down and light you up from the point.

Last year we reached our obligatory 5th seed for awhile, then injuries hit and we let the bottom fall out. Many meaningless AHL games were played at Bridgestone but we chalked it up to a short season and injuries. A flesh wound at best.

Last night proved where we really are. Win and we’re 6 points out of 8th with a game-in-hand, .500 again in points, and hope that we can stay in striking distance and go on a Pekka-led March run, and steal the 8th spot. Instead, our Grinderfest, Grit-Rich band of 3rd and 4th line brothers played PredatorSoft and laid down. Except for Smith on occasion, there is no forward worth watching. The D would be good if we had all the other pieces but we don’t so they need to contribute more on O and they can’t. We have bad-to-mediocre goaltending for the first time in our franchise history. Neither of our goalies could make any other NHL roster. Maz is a gutzy kid, just like the majority of Grinderville players we have, but not good enough.

The innocence of hope that we were building something great here is gone. We blinked after losing Game 5 to Phoenix in 2012 and it went away. The parties outside before the big games, the sellouts and the end of worrying about attendance, the respect of NHLville that we maintained the solid GM/Coach system and won-with-less while others faltered: All that and more is gone. We now have overpriced 4th line vets with contracts we can’t move, hoped-to-be rising scoring studs who look clueless, an aging Fisher/Legwand, and a honorable coach who believes in his system and players as a faith rather than a science. The evidence doesn’t support him. And on top of all that, we’re dull. Almost no star power and charisma (remember Tootoo whistles!). Remember how it felt to see a young Rads snap off a wrister? Or the occasional big name acquisition (Sully, Arnie, Kariya, Forsberg). Now we’re supposed to get excited about Hendricks and Nystom and Cullen.

It was painful to participate in a crowd that was so disgusted last night, they strained to keep booing Suter. Why bother. He was kicking our can. I hate he blew us off the way he did but we’re proving him right!!! He was obsessed with the fear he’d be locked into Smashville for the rest of his career and we’d suck because the money it would take to pay him, Webs, and Pekka would leave the wallet empty to field a quality front line. He had to be looking around last night thinking, “I so made the right moveâ€. I hate that he’s right.
My fear in firing Trotzy is, we just become another version of the Thrashers/Jets and Blue Jackets. We lose our identity and flounder. “The Predator Way†has worked as an identity in the past when the checks were cashed by Suter/Webs/Pekka. That said, this team may need a perception change. Will FA forwards come here under the combo of this system and a small southern market. We got Sully, Arnie, Kariya, and Forsberg on the back end of their careers, but also when Smashville was on the rise. Who’s going to try and rescue a declining Smashville?

I left with 8 minutes to go last night (and that warranted a gold star compared to the exiting of others). I NEVER do that. I’m the master of “what-if†playoff possibilities. If we win, and they lose, and blah blah blah, we can still make the playoffs. Last night was a MUST WIN and we played it like a pre-season game.

Here’s a sobering thought: (I know, Rads just got a concussion but roll with me here) If tomorrow we reacquired Rads, AK46, SK, and Erat ( 3 KHL players and a Caps 4th liner), they are good enough right now to be all Top 6 forwards on this team. And you know what, if they were all playing Tuesday against Calgary, I’d be excited to watch it and we’d be a better more exciting team. And oh by the way, re-acquire Toots from the Red Wings AHL team and put him on the 4th line. Then sit back and listen to the building as he takes his first chaotic shift. This is not a cry to bring back ghosts. It’s to illustrate how far we’ve fallen and how good we had it and didn’t truly appreciate it.

Predsfan78

Ambassador
Jul 24, 2010
Nashville
Nicely done, ILikeItILoveIt. Last night our team look like this:

DSC_0952-22222222222.jpg

:help:

I Will Son

An Army of One
Feb 15, 2010
Nashville
Great post.

We suck. It was bound to happen.

We can't score

Trotz Sucks

Poile Sucks

Players Suck

Fans are losing interest

Attendance is down

Players are disinterested

No FA's will ever want to come here

ETC..

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
Funny how our perception of this team turned beginning last year. Up to last year, we had a great run of making the playoffs, and then finally winning two series. A loss to the Yotes, along with the Russian Curfew-Gate, followed by the desertion of Suter, sent us in a direction we’ve rarely seen in Smashville since we started to make the Playoffs in Year 6: Regression!

Except for the one year after “The Sell-off†where we didn’t make the playoffs (although even that year we weren’t out until the last game), we hadn’t played a meaningless game since 2004 before last year. Everything was a building block, even when we lost. First playoff series, first playoff home game win, first playoff road game win, first playoff series win, etc. We never won the Division because Detroit or Chicago always won the Division. We were 4th seed several times. We were up-and-coming. The Pekka-Weber-Suter core was the best goalie – D1 Pair in the league. For 30 minutes of every game, we could shut you down and light you up from the point.

Last year we reached our obligatory 5th seed for awhile, then injuries hit and we let the bottom fall out. Many meaningless AHL games were played at Bridgestone but we chalked it up to a short season and injuries. A flesh wound at best.

Last night proved where we really are. Win and we’re 6 points out of 8th with a game-in-hand, .500 again in points, and hope that we can stay in striking distance and go on a Pekka-led March run, and steal the 8th spot. Instead, our Grinderfest, Grit-Rich band of 3rd and 4th line brothers played PredatorSoft and laid down. Except for Smith on occasion, there is no forward worth watching. The D would be good if we had all the other pieces but we don’t so they need to contribute more on O and they can’t. We have bad-to-mediocre goaltending for the first time in our franchise history. Neither of our goalies could make any other NHL roster. Maz is a gutzy kid, just like the majority of Grinderville players we have, but not good enough.

The innocence of hope that we were building something great here is gone. We blinked after losing Game 5 to Phoenix in 2012 and it went away. The parties outside before the big games, the sellouts and the end of worrying about attendance, the respect of NHLville that we maintained the solid GM/Coach system and won-with-less while others faltered: All that and more is gone. We now have overpriced 4th line vets with contracts we can’t move, hoped-to-be rising scoring studs who look clueless, an aging Fisher/Legwand, and a honorable coach who believes in his system and players as a faith rather than a science. The evidence doesn’t support him. And on top of all that, we’re dull. Almost no star power and charisma (remember Tootoo whistles!). Remember how it felt to see a young Rads snap off a wrister? Or the occasional big name acquisition (Sully, Arnie, Kariya, Forsberg). Now we’re supposed to get excited about Hendricks and Nystom and Cullen.

It was painful to participate in a crowd that was so disgusted last night, they strained to keep booing Suter. Why bother. He was kicking our can. I hate he blew us off the way he did but we’re proving him right!!! He was obsessed with the fear he’d be locked into Smashville for the rest of his career and we’d suck because the money it would take to pay him, Webs, and Pekka would leave the wallet empty to field a quality front line. He had to be looking around last night thinking, “I so made the right moveâ€. I hate that he’s right.
My fear in firing Trotzy is, we just become another version of the Thrashers/Jets and Blue Jackets. We lose our identity and flounder. “The Predator Way†has worked as an identity in the past when the checks were cashed by Suter/Webs/Pekka. That said, this team may need a perception change. Will FA forwards come here under the combo of this system and a small southern market. We got Sully, Arnie, Kariya, and Forsberg on the back end of their careers, but also when Smashville was on the rise. Who’s going to try and rescue a declining Smashville?

I left with 8 minutes to go last night (and that warranted a gold star compared to the exiting of others). I NEVER do that. I’m the master of “what-if†playoff possibilities. If we win, and they lose, and blah blah blah, we can still make the playoffs. Last night was a MUST WIN and we played it like a pre-season game.

Here’s a sobering thought: (I know, Rads just got a concussion but roll with me here) If tomorrow we reacquired Rads, AK46, SK, and Erat ( 3 KHL players and a Caps 4th liner), they are good enough right now to be all Top 6 forwards on this team. And you know what, if they were all playing Tuesday against Calgary, I’d be excited to watch it and we’d be a better more exciting team. And oh by the way, re-acquire Toots from the Red Wings AHL team and put him on the 4th line. Then sit back and listen to the building as he takes his first chaotic shift. This is not a cry to bring back ghosts. It’s to illustrate how far we’ve fallen and how good we had it and didn’t truly appreciate it.

I can agree with the majority of what you wrote, but I almost feel like you are defending Trotz and Poile. The one common denominator in all the years of this team are those two. They are the problem not the solution. We keep them and we keep the same system that we've watched for years. I feel we have some real talent to develop in Milwaukee, but the simple truth is that once Trotz gets them in his system they will be ruined. Oh yes, he'll turn them in to credible 3rd and 4th liners, and he'll teach them that shooting and scoring is bad unless they are "detail" players. What a joke!

BOS77

Jul 17, 2011
Nova Scotia
My fear in firing Trotzy is, we just become another version of the Thrashers/Jets and Blue Jackets. We lose our identity and flounder. “The Predator Way” has worked as an identity in the past when the checks were cashed by Suter/Webs/Pekka.

I agree with everything but this, yes i'm a big preds fan and follow the team closely.
i think the team is losing its identity now and i think the player have lose faith in the system,trots and management ie polie. for those reasons alone changes need to be made and not with any players,trots and polies time is well over due.and for that to happen the owners need to hear from the fans.
the jets are still have a little trouble but at least there not willing to stay on the same path thats taking them no wheres.

columbus on the other hand is a different story they sucked as hard as they possibly could.new gm and coach and things are looking much better. and i think columbus is a very good example of what could happen in nashville.
look at the players points from last year and compare to this year the player that should be putting up points are and team has structure. they made a few off season moves nothing ground braking but good moves. if gabs and horton would have played the full season so far they could be easily be in 5th or better,now that horton is playing i think you'll rise up the standing a bit. look at RJ what he's doing this year in columbus, well i think that should be wilson as well but i don't think he will ever achieve that under trots.

the team/player fans need a fresh start. people shouldn't be scared of change.

Last edited:

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010
My fear in firing Trotzy is, we just become another version of the Thrashers/Jets and Blue Jackets. We lose our identity and flounder. “The Predator Way” has worked as an identity in the past when the checks were cashed by Suter/Webs/Pekka.

I agree with everything but this, yes i'm a big preds fan and follow the team closely.
i think the team is losing its identity now and i think the player have lose faith in the system,trots and management ie polie. for those reasons alone changes need to be made and not with any players,trots and polies time is well over due.and for that to happen the owners need to hear from the fans.
the jets are still have a little trouble but at least there not willing to stay on the same path thats taking them no wheres.

columbus on the other hand is a different story they sucked as hard as they possibly could.new gm and coach and things are looking much better. and i think columbus is a very good example of what could happen in nashville.
look at the players points from last year and compare to this year the player that should be putting up points are and team has structure. they made a few off season moves nothing ground braking but good moves. if gabs and horton would have played the full season so far they could be easily be in 5th or better,now that horton is playing i think you'll rise up the standing a bit. look at RJ what he's doing this year in columbus, well i think that should be wilson as well but i don't think he will ever achieve that under trots.

the team/player fans need a fresh start. people shouldn't be scared of change.

So if we fire Trotz then change is automatically worse...? Doesn't reflect that those franchises were mismanaged. Columbus when Davidson has taken over like he straighten the Blues from their rebuild has shown promise and he made moves that where some FA have signed there. Wilson and Smith should be consistantly 20 goal scorers have not blossomed. Those 1st round picks have floundered and doesn't show promise of upcoming forwards flourishing in the system to come. Small team have to make some of their pick overachieve and the Preds have not

BOS77

Jul 17, 2011
Nova Scotia
the first 2 sentence's of my post was taken from what the OP wrote.the op seems to think firing trotz would cause the team lose there identity and flounder. I just don't agree with that.
i think the Gm has proven he can't bring in the right player and it clearly is evident the players have lost faith in the system and trotz and probably the GM.if the owners want to turn this ship around i don't think there is any option but to fire the pair of them, i don't think trading the players away will help at all as long as those to are still there, they had plenty of time to prove they can't put a championship team together.
so what i was trying to say to the OP is change is not always a bad thing and i think columbus is a good example of that.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
I actually think the current edition of the Blue Jackets is a good model for the Preds. They are playing (now) winning hockey, but as important, they are playing entertaining hockey. I think it all goes back to the whole Nash trade - a trade most all of us panned at the time but actually turned out pretty well. To me the lesson is: don't be afraid to trade the Big Kanuna (Weber) - especially if he is not satisfied here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad