So you wanna work in the NHL

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Gregory (former Digital Media Czar for the Phoenix suns) nails this on the head as the following was my schedule covering the Coyotes as a beat reporter for my own start up. I was doing everything (Server admin, writer, video cameraman, social media, interviews, photographer, radio appearances, attending practices, attending games, advertising, marketing, conference calls with teams/players, flying off to events, pod casts, etc). I got burnt out working practically 24/7 for months on end. I loved it but it hurt me financially (long term) following this dream (which I kicked ass at).

"Days will start at 9 AM, and you’ll do your normal office work until 5 PM, when your second job begins, game night. You’ll work doing the various tasks your department requires during a game and wrap up sometimes hours after the final buzzer. (Especially if you’re on the digital or media relations side where your third job starts when the game ends.) Oh, and the next day, it’ll start bright and early as well so double check those alarms.
It can be a truly trying process if your heart isn’t 100 percent into it."

Even though I built my site to 500,000 unique visitors a month (not page hits) making barely $5 a month from advertising can’t pay the server bills.

If you want to break into ‘The Biz’ this is very good insight as to what’s involved. It’s a meat grinder (especially in the NHL) but it’s soooo fun.

So You Want to Work in the NBA?

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
If I did some work for the NHL, I wouldn't share the information if I signed a non disclosure agreement. Gnome 'sayin?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Lol, it's hockey.

I would love to pour over stats, analyze players, watch games, plan drills, discuss trades, develop strategy's, motivate players and all that comes with it. And I'd do it for free.
I race home from my 7-5 day job so I can go watch highlights and look at stats all night, I couldn't imagine getting paid to do it and having to actually run a team. I'd be over the moon happy.

It's not work if your heart is in it. Why are guys coaching and managing till their 80? Because it's so much fun, and a joy for them.

Whoever wrote that article clearly doesn't have a heart for it.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Lol, it's hockey.

I would love to pour over stats, analyze players, watch games, plan drills, discuss trades, develop strategy's, motivate players and all that comes with it. And I'd do it for free.
I race home from my 7-5 day job so I can go watch highlights and look at stats all night, I couldn't imagine getting paid to do it and having to actually run a team. I'd be over the moon happy.

It's not work if your heart is in it. Why are guys coaching and managing till their 80? Because it's so much fun, and a joy for them.

Whoever wrote that article clearly doesn't have a heart for it.

If you aren't good at it, you won't last long. Nobody would do it for free.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
the following was my schedule covering the Coyotes as a beat reporter for my own start up.
Even though I built my site to 500,000 unique visitors a month (not page hits) making barely $5 a month from advertising can’t pay the server bills.

1. Running a startup -> long hours are expected.

2. How were your revenues so low for 500K unique visitors? Even with bad conversion revenues should be higher.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
1. Running a startup -> long hours are expected.

2. How were your revenues so low for 500K unique visitors? Even with bad conversion revenues should be higher.

No one clicks ads anymore. Simple as that. Tried all different combos and nothing seemed to work.

And yes startups are brutal on top of the NHL grind. I still loved it.

If I did some work for the NHL, I wouldn't share the information if I signed a non disclosure agreement. Gnome 'sayin?

Didn’t sign an NDA but I don’t blab about the behind the scenes or off the record stuff anyways.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I would imagine that the experience varies from organization to organization. The coyotes are presumably running a tight ship, so they could be trying to squeeze more out of their guys than others.

Edit: never mind, I thought he was working for the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad