So You Think You Can Draft 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
There is not proof that Linden did this or are you going to link to the "unnamed" source articles by local reporters who are more interested in mouse clicks than the truth? Just curious because I see a lot of twitter links or no name reporter links as the proof and unless any of us were in the room we do not know what happened.

I will say that the benning haters really should be applauded for their daily posting all things anti-benning, it keeps them home and abiding by the COVID19 restrictions vs. going out and potentially infecting people. I mean how else can they post through out the day if they are working?

It's a shame that posting the facts on what actually happened constitutes as "anti-Benning", but I guess that's just part of dealing with the pro-Benning snowflakes on here. When there is a mountain of evidence that indicates that Benning is a below-average GM, being pro-Benning is like the hockey fan version of being a hipster as both are obnoxious, non-conformist contrarians.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Yes, Benning did make his own draft picks. Are we seriously at this stage? You're arguing that Benning didn't make his own draft picks, when he's standing up on the stage making them. Oh Lord, how lost us poor souls are... Imagine trying to explain this argument to anyone outside this bed of conspiracy theory, speculation, and over-reading.

Your argument, if you can call it that, is that a general manager should escape some responsibility for his actions because his self-appointed employees give him "good" or "poor advice." Going against the very definition of the job title, GENERAL MANAGER, meaning that they are responsible for everything. And LOL at your "But Gillis..."

It's good that you admit that you are biased though. At least that's out of the way. Also no, your "arguments" read like a freshman in Philosophy 101 who hasn't done the reading. Still waiting for you to get in the Vey thread and start arguing it actually wasn't that bad of a trade.
Conspiracy theories, speculation, over reading, all mixed in with 'crackpot logic'...This posters biased 'takes' through the years are really looking worse for wear...Must be especially galling as the team evolves and improves.

Reactions: Sneezy

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
It's a shame that posting the facts on what actually happened constitutes as "anti-Benning", but I guess that's just part of dealing with the pro-Benning snowflakes on here. When there is a mountain of evidence that indicates that Benning is a below-average GM, being pro-Benning is like the hockey fan version of being a hipster as both are obnoxious, non-conformist contrarians.

What facts - it is all rumours as the people in the room wont say anything.

Now I am sure that you will find something said by Linden and use it to justify your point so please enlighten me again.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Yes, Benning did make his own draft picks. Are we seriously at this stage? You're arguing that Benning didn't make his own draft picks, when he's standing up on the stage making them. Oh Lord, how lost us poor souls are... Imagine trying to explain this argument to anyone outside this bed of conspiracy theory, speculation, and over-reading.

Your argument, if you can call it that, is that a general manager should escape some responsibility for his actions because his self-appointed employees give him "good" or "poor advice." Going against the very definition of the job title, GENERAL MANAGER, meaning that they are responsible for everything. And LOL at your "But Gillis..."

It's good that you admit that you are biased though. At least that's out of the way. Also no, your "arguments" read like a freshman in Philosophy 101 who hasn't done the reading. Still waiting for you to get in the Vey thread and start arguing it actually wasn't that bad of a trade.

Every poster is biased, including you. This does not validate or invalidate the logic within arguments.

It's funny you reference Philosophy 101 with regards to my posts. I find your posts shaky even at a rudimentary level. High school right, if we're guessing?... Anyway:

Iain MacIntyre says that all-non Juolevi 1sts were picked by Brackett. Conspiracy? Better let him know... Also, let him know that Benning was on the podium. I'm sure that will change IMac's information.

The "General" portion of "General Manager" means that this person has to delegate. In that respect, the Scouting Director is expected to have more specialized information than the GM. The GM relies on his SD. Understanding that structure means understanding the limitations of a GM. And so, the GM is responsible for all picks, yes, but he doesn't make each and every pick. IMac makes this clear.

Last edited:

CantStoptheBrock

Jun 26, 2020
Every poster is biased, including you. This does not validate or invalidate the logic within arguments.
Um yes, it sort of does. That's actually the very definition of bias. But congrats on outing yourself.
Iain MacIntyre says that all-non Juolevi 1sts were picked by Brackett.
Here is where your aforementioned bias, along with some poor reading comprehension, ruins your argument.

First of all, you're basing the whole edifice of your "argument" on one sentence of throwaway speculation: "Benning is believed to have gone with Brackett’s first-round recommendation ever since." Perhaps this speculation is accurate. Doesn't really matter, since you then immediately narrow its meaning down to a conclusion that fits your bias. This sentence doesn't mean that Brackett is making the picks.

Likely Benning agreed with Brackett's recommendations, as his appointed director of scouting following guidelines and criteria established by him, like most general managers probably do. All general managers likely do this? It still means that they're making the picks, and bear full responsibility for them at the end of the day.

If Gillis actually defended himself to Aquilini as you seem to think is a reasonable defence, "my scouting director gave me bad advice," then no wonder he's hellbanned from the NHL.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Um yes, it sort of does. That's actually the very definition of bias. But congrats on outing yourself.

Here is where your aforementioned bias, along with some poor reading comprehension, ruins your argument.

First of all, you're basing the whole edifice of your "argument" on one sentence of throwaway speculation: "Benning is believed to have gone with Brackett’s first-round recommendation ever since." Perhaps this speculation is accurate. Doesn't really matter, since you then immediately narrow its meaning down to a conclusion that fits your bias. This sentence doesn't mean that Brackett is making the picks.

Likely Benning agreed with Brackett's recommendations, as his appointed director of scouting following guidelines and criteria established by him, like most general managers probably do. All general managers likely do this? It still means that they're making the picks, and bear full responsibility for them at the end of the day.

If Gillis actually defended himself to Aquilini as you seem to think is a reasonable defence, "my scouting director gave me bad advice," then no wonder he's hellbanned from the NHL.
Its absolutely gobsmacking that this poster (he has admitted his strong bias though)..does not understand this.. It's the GM's job to delegate. If he delegates and listens to the right person (whom he implemented), both he and that person get credit. They aren't competing with each other, they're working together.

The GM implemented the system so his DOS picks the 'right guy'...This then goes to debate amongst scouts and management,..and finally the GM makes the 'executive decision.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Your logic is hilariously poor here:

Providing a guideline does not equate to making the selection. The framework is not the choice. The choice is made within the framework, yes, but the two are not confused for one another.

When your boss accepts your recommendation, does it become his recommendation? Completely illogical.

Second, what does the IMac quote mean then? Interpret it. This should be fun.

By the way, I like that you said it was speculation on the behalf of IMac. I guess 'it is believed' is the same as 'I believe' to you?

Gillis cannot absolve himself of poor drafting. He's still responsible for the outcome of all selections made under his tenure. This is the same for Benning. But neither GM is credited with making each recommendation, unless otherwise specified.

Last, what you're stumbling your way to saying is that confirmation bias is illogical. Sure, it is, but bias itself is not illogical. Bias exists in every person's perspective. It's only when this bias creates a logical flaw within the argument being posed does it create a fallacy, and not before. Educate yourself on logic.

Last edited:
Reactions: vanuck

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009
Its absolutely gobsmacking that this poster (he has admitted his strong bias though)..does not understand this.. It's the GM's job to delegate. If he delegates and listens to the right person (whom he implemented), both he and that person get credit. They aren't competing with each other, they're working together.

The GM implemented the system so his DOS picks the 'right guy'...This then goes to debate amongst scouts and management,..and finally the GM makes the 'executive decision.

Yeah, I’m glad things are going so smoothly between Benning and Brackett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->